FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Reply

Old Oct 29, 18, 2:36 pm
  #1561  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,780
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I suspect at outstations that this is not possible, but you never know.
Not possible indeed IMO (I assume you want to check bags).
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 2:39 pm
  #1562  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,780
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
It appears that all of the ATMs in the area are Travelex and charge a fee.
I didn't pay attention for a while, but landside I have never been charged a fee (but I have a French card issued by a French bank, in case that makes a difference). Airside, they are indeed Travelex ATM.

Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
The taxi dispatcher and driver both assured us our taxi would take a Visa credit card. His reader didn't actually work - it appeared to process but the charge didn't go through (and he tried to charge us 55 rather than 50). The hotel paid him 50 in cash. The card clearly was not the issue, having worked at the airport for museum passes and at the hotel immediately after.
One of the reasons why I don't use taxi anymore for years and only Uber or Le Cab.
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 3:11 pm
  #1563  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,510
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I didn't pay attention for a while, but landside I have never been charged a fee (but I have a French card issued by a French bank, in case that makes a difference). Airside, they are indeed Travelex ATM.
These were a few landside, all of which were Travelex. It surprised the people at the tourist information desk, who said one of the machines had not been Travelex the last time they checked. The ATMs also offered to charge us in US dollars (at a lousy exchange rate), but that could be declined.
richarddd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 4:43 pm
  #1564  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Not possible indeed IMO (I assume you want to check bags).
Actually there was no-one there by the time I got there, the whole Air France KLM check in area was deserted. I would have got there earlier, but I was enjoying aperitivo time in downtown Milano.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 2:42 am
  #1565  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 447
Is there a way to find out, in advance, what part (i.e. which gates) of 2E a flight is departing from?

Going, it's 2F to 2E but I have 3hr30min hours, so plenty of time. Coming back it will be 2E to 2F with about 1hr15min, so might be tight (two more flights to my destination that evening, so not a huge deal if I miss the connection).

Would just be nice to know, in advance, which path to take. I know I'll have to clear passport control (but I don't think I have to re-do security on the way out - coming back from Africa, so assuming that I will re-do security on the way home as I have to do so in most European airports).
frontenac551 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 12:21 pm
  #1566  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,780
Originally Posted by frontenac551 View Post
Is there a way to find out, in advance, what part (i.e. which gates) of 2E a flight is departing from?

Going, it's 2F to 2E but I have 3hr30min hours, so plenty of time. Coming back it will be 2E to 2F with about 1hr15min, so might be tight (two more flights to my destination that evening, so not a huge deal if I miss the connection).

Would just be nice to know, in advance, which path to take. I know I'll have to clear passport control (but I don't think I have to re-do security on the way out - coming back from Africa, so assuming that I will re-do security on the way home as I have to do so in most European airports).
No way to know in advance. If you are flying A380, it will be L or M. M concourse is closing around 3 pm.
2F to 2E : passport control , no security
2E to 2F : passport control and security
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 12:34 pm
  #1567  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
No way to know in advance. If you are flying A380, it will be L or M. M concourse is closing around 3 pm.
2F to 2E : passport control , no security
2E to 2F : passport control and security
Thanks. Not on the A380 and flight leaves around 8pm, so definitely not M. My assumptions on security were right, which is always a bonus
frontenac551 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 12:40 pm
  #1568  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,780
Originally Posted by frontenac551 View Post
Thanks. Not on the A380 and flight leaves around 8pm, so definitely not M. My assumptions on security were right, which is always a bonus
Do not worry, connections 2F to/from 2E are very easy. Of course to/from L/M takes slightly more time than K but it's quick.
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:15 pm
  #1569  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Magnolia, AR
Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - DM(2MM); Starwood Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold; Hyatt - Platinum
Posts: 1,612
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
These were a few landside, all of which were Travelex. It surprised the people at the tourist information desk, who said one of the machines had not been Travelex the last time they checked. The ATMs also offered to charge us in US dollars (at a lousy exchange rate), but that could be declined.
Although it's been over a year since my last CDG visit, I believe that the ATM at the PTT location, downstairs between the C and D terminals, is not Travelex and gives a decent exchange rate, without an extra fee.
arkangel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 19, 5:29 am
  #1570  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BOS & traveling somewhere
Programs: SPG/Marriott: Plat; Hyatt/Hilton: DIA; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Posts: 606
Since the wiki is old, Is there a single post or website somewhere that has the amenities (showers, cold food, hot food, spa), smoking permissions (y/n) and gate location for each lounge at CDG...or at least for the AF terminal?

I'm going non Schengen to non Schengen (AF both legs)

Thanks
navi_jen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 19, 7:14 am
  #1571  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,780
Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post
Since the wiki is old, Is there a single post or website somewhere that has the amenities (showers, cold food, hot food, spa), smoking permissions (y/n) and gate location for each lounge at CDG...or at least for the AF terminal?

I'm going non Schengen to non Schengen (AF both legs)

Thanks
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/commo...air-france.htm
glennhaak likes this.
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 19, 7:25 pm
  #1572  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Olde Dominion
Programs: AA Gold - ooooh!
Posts: 582
Is there anything interesting to visit that is closer than an hour from CDG? There seem to be many things (not just in Paris proper) that are an hour or so away by public transit, but I can't find much so far about things that are closer. I guess there is always Aéroville ...
Kamalaasaa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:37 am
  #1573  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: EDKA, STR, ZRH
Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Posts: 930
I will soon be transiting through CDG for the first time soon, and I have a question that is technically not related to FlyingBlue or AF, but maybe someone can help anway.

We'll be arriving around 10am from DUS on A5 (which probably means we'll end up at the remote 2G terminal), and we will be connecting to MUC on LH in the late afternoon (around 6pm). We have planned to meet some local friends during the day - now, as far as I've researched, it is already quite a trek from 2G to the train station where we'd have two options: (1) leave our baggage at the station (for a fee that seems to be a bit expensive) or (2) proceed from the station to T1 in order to try to check our bags already. However, if we then find out we are unable to already drop our bags for our connecting flight. The LH website doesn't say anything about earliest check-in time, but there seems to be a number of LH/LX flights departing throughout the day, so I guess there will be counters open, but not sure whether they can already take our bags. So, we might risk having to go from the station to T1, then find out we cannot drop the bags, go back to the station, drop the bags there, and go to the RER stop, which might cost more than half an hour of our already precious time.

Hence the question: can anybody confirm (or disconfirm, for that matter) whether it is possible to drop bags for a LH group flight already 7 or 8 hours before departure? Or are there any other suggestions?
bruce80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 2:19 pm
  #1574  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,780
Originally Posted by bruce80 View Post
I will soon be transiting through CDG for the first time soon, and I have a question that is technically not related to FlyingBlue or AF, but maybe someone can help anway.

We'll be arriving around 10am from DUS on A5 (which probably means we'll end up at the remote 2G terminal), and we will be connecting to MUC on LH in the late afternoon (around 6pm). We have planned to meet some local friends during the day - now, as far as I've researched, it is already quite a trek from 2G to the train station where we'd have two options: (1) leave our baggage at the station (for a fee that seems to be a bit expensive) or (2) proceed from the station to T1 in order to try to check our bags already. However, if we then find out we are unable to already drop our bags for our connecting flight. The LH website doesn't say anything about earliest check-in time, but there seems to be a number of LH/LX flights departing throughout the day, so I guess there will be counters open, but not sure whether they can already take our bags. So, we might risk having to go from the station to T1, then find out we cannot drop the bags, go back to the station, drop the bags there, and go to the RER stop, which might cost more than half an hour of our already precious time.

Hence the question: can anybody confirm (or disconfirm, for that matter) whether it is possible to drop bags for a LH group flight already 7 or 8 hours before departure? Or are there any other suggestions?
you’d better ask in the LH forum IMO.
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:30 pm
  #1575  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valencia, Paris
Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa View Post
Is there anything interesting to visit that is closer than an hour from CDG? There seem to be many things (not just in Paris proper) that are an hour or so away by public transit, but I can't find much so far about things that are closer. I guess there is always Aéroville ...
Disneyland Paris is a 10mn TGV train ride from CDG, if that's your thing
Satie is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread