FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Old Jun 13, 06, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
You should definitely walk from 2F to 2C. With 65m, it should be OK. You need :
- 5mn to walk from 2F to the TGV station
- 1mn to cross over the TGV station from the North side of CDG2 to the South side
- 5mn to walk from the TGV station to 2C, where you will go through passports control.

If your flight from LYS uses a remote stand, you should add 15mn to reach 2F.

Enjoy your flights
thanks JOUY31! that's very reassuring. I really dont want to miss a flight my first time travelling alone. what's a 'remote stand' though? sorry if that sounds like a dumb question!
Old Jun 13, 06, 7:53 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by sirona86
thanks JOUY31! that's very reassuring. I really dont want to miss a flight my first time travelling alone. what's a 'remote stand' though? sorry if that sounds like a dumb question!
Well, since the problem of CDG 2E, the situation of jetways has worsened and fewer than 50% of flights have a jetway allowing you to disembark into the terminal within minutes. Using a remote stand means that the aircraft is parked away from the terminal and that you are bussed from the aircraft to the terminal. Being in the front of the cabin then definitely helps reach the terminal more quickly than being in the back, and possibly on the second or the third bus.

CDG2 expects the situation to improve with 80% of flights using a jetway in 2008, with the S3 satellite opening at the end of 2007, 2E being fully re-opened in 2008 and the opening of 2G, the satellite for regional aircrafts, sometime in 2008.
Old Jun 13, 06, 9:56 am

Connect CDG 2A to 2D

What a great thread! Lots of helpful information.

I scanned the 16 pages of posts, but couldn't find a post that helped with my connection.

We're arriving on Continental from IAH at 11:05 am at terminal 2A. We're connecting to an Air France flight that departs for Copenhagen at 12:55 pm from terminal 2D.

A few questions...

1. I believe we'll need to go through only one customs check as Denmark is a Schengen country. Correct?

2. How do we make the connection from 2A to 2D? We have 1 hr 50 minutes, so I'm pretty sure we'll have enough time.

3. We normally carry on a roller bag on Continental. It's probably going to weigh more than the Air France cabin baggage limit. If we carry it on Continental, will we gate check it on Air France or is there somewhere else we would have to check it in? We're a little concerned about the checking the luggage in for fear that it wouldn't make the connecting flight (leaving on a cruise the next day). Is this a justified concern or should we just check it in all the way through?

4. We're flying business so we have access to the AF lounges. How's the lounge at 2D? Where is it located in the terminals? Near the gates? Before or after security?

Thanks for your help!!
Old Jun 13, 06, 9:55 pm

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by tekolla
We're arriving on Continental from IAH at 11:05 am at terminal 2A. We're connecting to an Air France flight that departs for Copenhagen at 12:55 pm from terminal 2D.

A few questions...

1. I believe we'll need to go through only one customs check as Denmark is a Schengen country. Correct?
You need to clear immigration at CDG 2A, as Denmark is a Schengen country. The Schengen concept relates to immigration, not customs. Your carry-on may be subject to a customs check in CDG, when entering the EU, and all your baggage may be subject to a customs check in CPH, your final EU destination.

2. How do we make the connection from 2A to 2D? We have 1 hr 50 minutes, so I'm pretty sure we'll have enough time.
You cannot take the airside shuttle as 2D is a fully Schengen terminal. You need to clear immigration in 2A. You should then
- walk to the food court located between 2A and 2C : less than 5mn
- take the escalator down one level to the car rental desks / mini-market
- cross over to the escalator on the other side : 1mn
- take the escalator up one level to the food court located between 2B and 2D
- walk to 2D : less than 5mn

3. We normally carry on a roller bag on Continental. It's probably going to weigh more than the Air France cabin baggage limit. If we carry it on Continental, will we gate check it on Air France or is there somewhere else we would have to check it in? We're a little concerned about the checking the luggage in for fear that it wouldn't make the connecting flight (leaving on a cruise the next day). Is this a justified concern or should we just check it in all the way through?
Well, you should try to take it onboard the flight to CPH. In the worst case scenario, you will be stopped when entering the secure area in 2D. Going from of the two security check points in 2D to any check-in counter in 2D requires less than 5mn.

4. We are flying business so we have access to the AF lounges. How's the lounge at 2D? Where is it located in the terminals? Near the gates? Before or after security?
The 2D lounge is nothing special. It is located at the center of 2D, on a mezzanine level, before security. You need at most 5mn from the entrance to the lounge to the security checkpoints, and once you have cleared security, 5mn at most to any gate.

I do not remember the specifics of the AF/CO agreement. But if you have access to the AF arrivals lounge in 2C, and if the time of arrival of your flight from IAH allows you to, you should definitely use this landside arrivals lounge to have a nice and pleasant shower. From 2A, it is just a 5mn walk to 2C.

Enjoy the flights and the cruise

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 15, 06 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 14, 06, 7:53 am

You need to clear immigration at CDG 2A, as Denmark is a EU country. The Schengen concept relates to immigration, not customs. Your carry-on may be subject to a customs check in CDG, when entering the EU, and all your baggage may be subject to a customs check in CPH, your final EU destination.

You cannot take the airside shuttle as 2D is a fully Schengen terminal. You need to clear immigration in 2A. You should then
- walk to the food court located between 2A and 2C : less than 5mn
- take the escalator down one level to the car rental desks / mini-market
- cross over to the escalator on the other side : 1mn
- take the escalator up one level to the food court located between 2B and 2D
- walk to 2D : less than 5mn

Well, you should try to take it onboard the flight to CPH. In the worst case scenario, you will be stopped when entering the secure area in 2D. Going from of the two security check points in 2D to any check-in counter in 2D requires less than 5mn.

The 2D lounge is nothing special. It is located at the center of 2D, on a mezzanine level, before security. You need at most 5mn from the entrance to the lounge to the security checkpoints, and once you have cleared security, 5mn at most to any gate.

I do not remember the specifics of the AF/CO agreement. But if you have access to the AF arrivals lounge in 2C, and if the time of arrival of your flight from IAH allows you to, you should definitely use this landside arrivals lounge to have a nice and pleasant shower. From 2A, it is just a 5mn walk to 2C.

Enjoy the flights and the cruise

Thanks for the great info! One additional questions about the Arrivals Lounge in 2C. Is the lounge located before or after security at 2C? Just wondering where I clear security before catching my flight from 2D. Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 06, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tekolla
Thanks for the great info! One additional questions about the Arrivals Lounge in 2C. Is the lounge located before or after security at 2C? Just wondering where I clear security before catching my flight from 2D. Thanks!
the arrival lounge is landside after security, before leaving the 2C terminal direction food court/terminal A its on your left.

you will clear security again in the 2D terminal.
Old Jun 14, 06, 9:19 am

Specifically, you do not need to go through any security check to reach the arrivals lounge in 2C. It is located to the right of the check-in area in 2C.

The same is true in 2D. You do not need to go through any security check to reach the lounge. You need to clear security when entering the gate area, coming from the check-in area and the lounge.
Old Jun 14, 06, 12:17 pm

Thanks!

Thanks everyone!!
Old Jun 23, 06, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
Is this flight possible at all? I believe I go from 2E to 2D, and I'm worried that if I miss my flight, I'll never get into Germany that day because of the World Cup! I'm 18, traveling alone, and don't speak French, so I really don't want to have to figure out how to get rebooked and all that jazz! Basically, I just need some detailed instructions on how to make it, and I can run as fast as I need to to get there. Also, I'm in row 18, so I'm only three rows from first class (closest I could get to the exit!) Also, do I have to go through customs/security at all? Will I have to recheck my bags?Thanks in advance for the help!

Atlanta (ATL)
Depart 3:35 pm
Terminal S to Paris (CDG)
Arrive 6:20 am +1 day
Terminal 2E
4,386 mi
(7,059 km)
Duration: 8hr 45mn

Flight: 28
Economy/Coach Class ( 18D ), Dinner, Boeing 767
Sat 8-Jul-06
Paris (CDG)
Depart 7:35 am
Terminal 2D to Hanover (HAJ)
Arrive 9:05 am
403 mi
(649 km)
Duration: 1hr 30mn

Flight: 8647
Operated by: REGIONAL CAE FOR AIR FRANCE -- AF5490
Economy/Coach Class ( Seat assignments upon check-in More Information ), Embraer RJ145

Last edited by rotnkornkid; Jun 24, 06 at 1:18 am
Old Jun 26, 06, 7:56 am
LKS

Hi everyone, Fantastic website. I am so glad I found it. I will be transiting through CDG for the first time, After doing some internet research, I was kind of worried but than I found this website. Can someone help me with some questions please ( some of them may be silly !)?
I am arriving at CDG 2A and will depart from 2C (economy class -transit time of about 9 hours). Don't have a US or EU passport. But do not need a transit visa if I stay inside the airport / international zone.
How long will it take to go from 2A to 2 C. Should I walk or take a bus?
If I walk, will I have to go through multiple passport checks? Do I need to take a train too?
Is there a lounge that I can use to relax , shower & eat for economy class?
What is the best way to do it. Is there a hotel or sleeping facility in the international zone? Please also recommend some affordable eating places where I can eat under 10 euros.
Is the food court between 2A & C located in international zone?
Is there a shower facilty in 2C departure lounge?
Are there signs which tell me the limits of international zone so that I stay in that area only?

Thanks a million for your time.

Last edited by LKS; Jun 26, 06 at 8:15 am
Old Jun 26, 06, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by LKS
I am arriving at CDG 2A and will depart from 2C (economy class -transit time of about 9 hours). Don't have a US or EU passport. But do not need a transit visa if I stay inside the airport / international zone.
How long will it take to go from 2A to 2 C. Should I walk or take a bus?
If you cannot leave the international zone due to a lack of EU passport or visa, you can only use the airside shuttle. You cannot walk from 2A to 2C.

If I walk, will I have to go through multiple passport checks? Do I need to take a train too ?
You need to clear immigration in 2A (it took me about 3mn last Saturday morning when two 747s were arriving) to enter France, walk to 2C, and then clear immigration again to leave France. There is no train travel involved.

Is there a lounge that I can use to relax , shower & eat for economy class?
Unfortunately, no.

What is the best way to do it. Is there a hotel or sleeping facility in the international zone?
There is no sleeping facility in the international zone. The cheapest way to do it would be to go to the Ibis hotel, which is at the RER station 1, while, CDG2 is at RER station 2. Day rooms are sold around 50 euros. The Sheraton hotel which is located at the center of CDG2 is unfortunately far more expensive (200 euros).

Please also recommend some affordable eating places where I can eat under 10 euros.
There are fast food offerings in the food courts.

Is the food court between 2A & C located in international zone?
No. It is located landside.

Is there a shower facilty in 2C departure lounge?
Just one.

Are there signs which tell me the limits of international zone so that I stay in that area only?
Well, you cannot move freely from one to the other. You can find terminal maps on the CDG web site : www.adp.fr

Enjoy your flights
Old Jun 26, 06, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Johnallent
I go from 2E to 2D, and I'm worried that if I miss my flight, I'll never get into Germany that day because of the World Cup! Also, do I have to go through customs/security at all? Will I have to recheck my bags?Thanks in advance for the help!

Atlanta (ATL)
Depart 3:35 pm
Terminal S to Paris (CDG)
Arrive 6:20 am +1 day
Terminal 2E
Flight: 28
Economy/Coach Class ( 18D )

Paris (CDG)
Depart 7:35 am
Terminal 2D to Hanover (HAJ)
Arrive 9:05 am
403 mi
You will be arriving from an international flight into 2E and leaving for a Schengen destination.

You therefore need to clear immigration upon arrival in CDG 2E. You will most probably arrive at a remote stand, which involves a minimum of 15mn to reach the CDG 2E building, or (unlikely) at a jetway in another CDG2 hall.

You do not need to clear customs for your hold baggage; neither do you need to pick up your hold baggage and re-check them. You may be stopped when exiting the baggage retrieval area for a cursory check of your carry-ons.

Once you have cleared immigration and left the 2E baggage retrieval area, you need to go up one level (between the departures and the arrival levels) and head towards the TGV station (5mn). Once you are at the TGV station, cross over from the South side of the building to the North side of the building (1mn). You then turn left and walk over to 2D (5mn). Once there, you just need to clear security to enter the 2D gate area, there is no immigration control involved as you will be flying between 2 Schengen destinations.

There is an alternate path from 2E to 2D, which involves crossing over from to 2E to 2F and then walking over to the TGV station and 2D entirely on the North side of CDG2. The distance is exactly the same, but there may be more people in 2F, which may slow you down.

Enjoy your flights and the World Cup !
Old Jun 26, 06, 10:22 am
LKS

Thank you!

There is no sleeping facility in the international zone. The cheapest way to do it would be to go to the Ibis hotel, which is at the RER station 1, while, CDG2 is at RER station 2. Day rooms are sold around 50 euros. The Sheraton hotel which is located at the center of CDG2 is unfortunately far more expensive (200 euros).

First of all thanks a lot for answering my questions. So I understand from your post is that : I can go to Iblis Hotel and will stay in international zone.
Sheraton Hotel also in international zone. There are eating places in the international zone. I will not need to go out the restricted area.
Am I correct?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 26, 06, 12:55 pm

Thanks, JOUY31, for your help! I really appreciate it, and I'm starting to feel better about this! Is there any difference between your suggested route and going thru 2F? Do I have to show my passport going your way instead of the other? Thanks in advance for your response?
Old Jun 26, 06, 12:56 pm

Thanks, JOUY31, for your help! I really appreciate it, and I'm starting to feel better about this! Is there any difference between your suggested route and going thru 2F? Do I have to show my passport going your way instead of the other? I hope I don't seem too paranoid about this flight, but I'm not a huge traveler and I really want to see my girlfriend... she was an exchange student this year so had to head back to Germany at the beginning of summer. Thanks in advance for your response!

Search this Thread