USA orders Air France Jet back to CDG

Old Jul 8, 05, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation USA orders Air France Jet back to CDG

Flight finally left CDG at 11:45pm... Flight AF051 from Chicago to Paris now leaving at 3:30AM!!

US authorities have ordered an Air France flight from Paris to Chicago to turn around after only two hours in the air after concerns about a passenger.
"After the plane had left the Americans reacted and said that one of the passengers had a name that was on their list," French police said.

Flight AF050 landed at Charles de Gaulle airport at 1915 (1715 GMT) on Friday, four hours after taking off.

The passenger in question and four others were taken for checks.

There was no information given on the names of the passengers, their age or nationalities.

Air France said the flight would take off again in the evening, after the plane had been checked over.
Old Jul 8, 05, 11:57 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Once again, this story, if confirmed, says a lot about the efficiency of preliminary (= prior to boarding) safety procedures:
  • getting a visa
  • giving your passport number to the airline (for pre approval by US TSA)
  • giving your credit card number

Old Jul 9, 05, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by imverge
Flight finally left CDG at 11:45pm... Flight AF051 from Chicago to Paris now leaving at 3:30AM!!

US authorities have ordered an Air France flight from Paris to Chicago to turn around after only two hours in the air after concerns about a passenger.
Flight AF050 landed at Charles de Gaulle airport at 1915 (1715 GMT) on Friday, four hours after taking off.
Bangor Airport does not earn money on this one.
why don't they check prior to departure ...?
Old Jul 9, 05, 4:50 am

Programs: QF, SQ
How come this sort of thing always seems to happen to foreign carriers entering the US. We've yet to see an American carrier return...

wonder why?
Old Jul 9, 05, 5:40 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.

"After the plane had left the Americans reacted and said that one of the passengers had a name that was on their list," French police said.

The passenger in question and four others were taken for checks.

There was no information given on the names of the passengers, their age or nationalities.

Air France said the flight would take off again in the evening, after the plane had been checked over.
I really can't get the time codes in this to compute. it left 3.30 AM landed 4 hrs later at 1915 which is translated to 1715 GMT.

Eh?

Shouldn't that be 7.15 AM which makes it 6.15 AM GMT if the plane left CDG at 3.30 AM?

In any case, USA is bound to be on high alert after the blasts in London.

Things like this will happen.
Old Jul 9, 05, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Emma65
I really can't get the time codes in this to compute. it left 3.30 AM landed 4 hrs later at 1915 which is translated to 1715 GMT.

Eh?
Emma65, this is official info, I found on airfrance.fr.

AF50 CDG - ORD

Flight left from Paris (CDG) at 1:54 PM on July 8, 2005
Returns from Paris (CDG) at 2:18 PM on July 8, 2005
Flight left from Paris (CDG) at 3:03 PM on July 8, 2005
Returns from Paris (CDG) at 7:37 PM on July 8, 2005
Flight left from Paris (CDG) at 11:45 PM on July 8, 2005
Flight arrived in Chicago (ORD) at 1:53 AM on July 9, 2005
AF51 ORD - CDG (same aircraft)
Flight left from Chicago (ORD) at 3:29 AM on July 9, 2005
Scheduled arrival in Paris (CDG) at 7:08 PM on July 9, 2005
hope this makes it more clear. but I don't know why AF50 came back to Paris twice !!! OP did not mention this.

Last edited by chrissxb; Jul 9, 05 at 5:50 am
Old Jul 9, 05, 5:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Edited as per moderator request. Obviously, I cannot edit the posts of those who have since quoted me (including those members of the board who are not "humour challenged").

Regards
I

Last edited by Internaut; Jul 10, 05 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 9, 05, 6:33 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Deleted.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 10, 05 at 1:21 pm
Old Jul 9, 05, 10:45 am

Programs: klm pe
air france's fault

it was probably somebody on board trying to light his flying blue card
Old Jul 9, 05, 11:14 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by yocko
it was probably somebody on board trying to light his flying blue card
Nah, can't be. Anyone lighting his FB card would be branded as anti-French and would be granted a green-card on the spot by W.
Old Jul 9, 05, 11:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
Originally Posted by Internaut
edited
I
Inappropriate commentary for FlyerTalk. I'll allow you the honors of editing your post, please.

Derek
Co-Moderator

Last edited by dctorres; Jul 18, 05 at 10:13 am
Old Jul 9, 05, 3:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Bronze, LH FQTV
Originally Posted by chrissxb
this is official info, I found on airfrance.fr
I've just been there and discovered that today's flight AF 050 had to go back to Paris, this time for technical reasons it seems. Well, passengers were only 2 hours late today...
Old Jul 9, 05, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if EU passengers bill of rights applies in a case such as this? Compensation for delay etc.. Yes and I wonder why is it we are only seeing non-US airlines with this sort of problem? Make you wanna go hhmmmmm
Old Jul 9, 05, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Malaysian16
How come this sort of thing always seems to happen to foreign carriers entering the US. We've yet to see an American carrier return...

wonder why?
I'm pretty sure that the TSA have arrangements with the US flag carriers where either the airlines run the watchlists on their passenger manifests or the airlines give their manifests to the Feds before flight.

EU privacy law prevents EU flag carriers from giving the US gov't passenger manifests until after take-off (or something like that), and the US gov't doesn't trust the foreign carriers with its super-secret blacklists (this part I'm pretty sure about), so the Feds do the checks themselves only after the flight takes off.

The above is probably not 100% right, but something like it is the reason why this always happens to foreign carriers and never to US flag carriers.
Old Jul 9, 05, 4:45 pm

Programs: FB, HH, EB & Choice
I wonder if EU passengers bill of rights applies in a case such as this? Compensation for delay etc..
I don't think so. The rights do not apply when delays are caused by "extraordinary circumstances".

Jerene

Search this Thread
Search Engine: