Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam "Associates Program" to include Tarom

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
SkyTeam "Associates Program" to include Tarom

Woo hoo! Flying Blue just gets better and better! Tarom!

From the AF press office:

Amsterdam, 9 June 2005

Four Carriers to Join Skyteam Associate Program

Governing Board Announces First Associate Airline Candidates
At a press briefing following its semiannual meeting in Amsterdam today, the SkyTeam Governing Board announced the finalization of the alliance's Associate Program and named the first carriers selected to begin the joining process: Air Europa of Spain; Copa Airlines of Panama; Kenya Airways of Kenya; and Tarom of Romania. All four carriers have already begun the process of meeting the necessary operational and service standards to attain Associate status, with completion expected in 2006. The airlines will sign a SkyTeam Associate Adherence Agreement (SAAA) this summer.

"As we approach our fifth anniversary, it is fitting that we prepare to welcome the first four Associate Airlines," said Leo van Wijk, CEO and president of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. "The Associate Program is a new tool of SkyTeam's growth strategy and will broaden the alliance's presence to several strategic regions while providing more travelers with access to our expanding network."

With access to the alliance's expanding network, the Associate Program extends SkyTeam's benefits to more passengers. As part of their involvement with SkyTeam, Associate Airlines will adhere to several key alliance programs, including:
- Frequent Flyer Reciprocity: Associate Airlines will adopt the frequent flyer program of one of the Member airlines. This step will help expedite the integration process enabling passengers to get frequent flyer benefits sooner.

- Lounge Access: Associate Airlines will establish bilateral agreements for passenger lounge access. By doing this, all SkyTeam Elite Plus Members, as well as international first or business class passengers holding a SkyTeam Member or SkyTeam Associate Airlines international ticket will have complimentary access to SkyTeam lounges on day of travel.

- Codeshare Agreements: Associate Airlines will enter agreements for codesharing with certain SkyTeam Members. This will allow Member Airlines to serve additional destinations.

"We have worked to make sure the Associate Program will benefit everyone involved – current Members, Associates and, most importantly, our alliance customers," said Larry Kellner, chairman and CEO of Continental Airlines. "Once the integration is complete, travelers flying with a SkyTeam Member or SkyTeam Associate Airline will be able to experience the combined resources of 13 airlines across the globe as part of the consistent, high quality service that is SkyTeam's hallmark."

As part of the joining process, each candidate has been assigned a current Member to act as its Sponsor and aid in the joining and integration processes. The Sponsor will represent the interests of the Associate Airline in all decision-making situations, as well as facilitate the relationship between the Associate and the other SkyTeam Member airlines.

The Associate – Sponsor airlines are:
- Air Europa – Air France
- Copa Airlines – Continental Airlines
- Kenya Airways – KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Tarom – Alitalia

Each Associate Airline candidate must meet a set of predetermined requirements in areas such as operations, information technology and products. Upon completion of the requirements, each candidate must receive formal approval from the Governing Board before becoming an official Associate Airline. All Associate candidates are expected to complete an audit during 2006 as the first milestone to official Associate membership.

With a fleet of 35 aircraft, Air Europa serves over 7.7 million passengers annually and flies to 55 destinations in 27 countries, including destinations throughout Spain and Western Europe as well as cities in North Africa, Latin America and Asia. www.aireuropa.com

With a fleet of 24 aircraft, Copa Airlines serves 1.5 million passengers annually and flies to 33 destinations in 21 countries, including destinations in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean. www.copaair.com
With a fleet of 21 aircraft, Kenya Airways serves 1.7 million passengers annually and flies to 30 destinations in 25 countries, including cities across Africa, as well as London and Amsterdam and select destinations in Asia, including Dubai, Mumbai, Hong Kong and Bangkok. www.kenya-airways.com

With a fleet of 16 aircraft, Tarom serves 1.12 million passengers annually and flies to 39 destinations in 24 countries, including destinations throughout Spain and Western Europe as well as cities in North Africa and the Middle East. www.tarom.ro
Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
That's just fabulous!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate post.

Last edited by graraps; Jun 9, 2005 at 11:22 am
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did hear something about TAROM last night, but it was more in connection with OK than AZ. Guess the former are still recovering from the way MA treated their help.
As far as I am concerned, all of the four airlines will be very welcome additions to Skyteam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.