Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU compensation rules question

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2005, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

EU compensation rules question

We have a legal but tight connection in CDG. If the VCE-CDG flight is slightly late, we could miss the transatlantic (CDG-ORD) flight and there are no later flights that day.

So would we be compensated based on a (say) 45 min delay of the first flight, or based on the 24-hour delay of our entire itinerary? This was not clear to me from reading the new EU rules.
Old May 25, 2005, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kalia960
We have a legal but tight connection in CDG. If the VCE-CDG flight is slightly late, we could miss the transatlantic (CDG-ORD) flight and there are no later flights that day.

So would we be compensated based on a (say) 45 min delay of the first flight, or based on the 24-hour delay of our entire itinerary? This was not clear to me from reading the new EU rules.
45-minute delays do not provide financial compensation. 2-hour delays on such a route would for such things as a mechancial or cancellation due to insufficient planes not related to the proverbial "Act of God".

Cancellations and denied boarding and long delays are more explicitly covered than "connecting" flight scenarios.
Old May 25, 2005, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The regulation speaks of a flight being delayed "beyond its scheduled time of departure". It is therefore the delay at origin that counts to determine whether the Regulation applies or not.
In any event, the regulation does not provide for compensation in case of delays. Compensation is in case of denied boarding and, in some cases, flight cancellations.
Old May 25, 2005, 7:48 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Where can I get a copy/view the new EU regs? Thanks!
Old May 25, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
I think this should work:

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/Lex...4R0261:EN:HTML
Old May 25, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Originally Posted by thezipper
Where can I get a copy/view the new EU regs? Thanks!

You can access the pdf file by googling these keywords:

"261 2004 parlement européen rčglement"
Old May 26, 2005, 4:16 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
There is no compensation for flight delays, so it does not help you anything except that AF has to pay for amenities, which would include the hotel stay if you are forced to stay overnight.

Only denied boarding as well as flight cancellations grant you rights to compensation!
Old May 26, 2005, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcs85551
There is no compensation for flight delays, so it does not help you anything except that AF has to pay for amenities, which would include the hotel stay if you are forced to stay overnight.

Only denied boarding as well as flight cancellations grant you rights to compensation!
mmm... where do I get this feeling of deja-lu from ?
Old May 26, 2005, 9:35 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
mmm... where do I get this feeling of deja-lu from ?
My bad, I overlooked your post... sorry!
Old May 26, 2005, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad, I overlooked your post... sorry!
not a problem.
Old May 26, 2005, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Long flight delays are covered by the EU rules. Long delays are explicitly defined:

for sub-1500km flights -- 2 hour delays;
for 1500 - 3500km flights -- 3 hour delays;
for 3500+ km flights -- 4 hour delays

Such delays require the airlines to provide adequate facilities -- for meals, accomodations, transfers, and communication.

And when the delay is greater than 5 hours, the operating airline must also offer a refund of your ticket with a free flight back to your initial point of departure, when relevant.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 26, 2005 at 5:26 pm
Old May 26, 2005, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but you are not entitled to compensation, as both rcs85551 and myself have said.
Old May 26, 2005, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Yes, but you are not entitled to compensation, as both rcs85551 and myself have said.
The due refund of such a "long delay"-impacted ticket -- especially on the return portion -- is not classified as compensation when dealing with an otherwise non-refundable ticket? What is it classified as then? A mere refund and a free flight back to the initial point of departure?

This issue becomes even more interesting when dealing with award tickets.
Old May 26, 2005, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. It is a refund, not compensation. This cannot be regarded as compensation as it only covers the situation where you do not make your trip to your destination. You do not get a refund if the delay is on the return. It is only when you do not fly at all or fly part of your outward itinerary but decide to come back half-way on your way to your destination because the trip would not serve any purpose any more as a result of the delay that the issue of a refund arises.
With awards, they would presumably have to re-credit your miles, which does indeed get fun if the ticket is issued using miles from another FFP.
Compensation is entirely distinct. It is the set sums defined in article 7 of the reg. As I read it, in case of DBC or canx, you may be entitled both to compensation and reimbursement. In case of delay, you are only entitled to reimbursement, and then only if you don't fly and the delay exceeds five hours.
Old May 26, 2005, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Exactly. It is a refund, not compensation. This cannot be regarded as compensation as it only covers the situation where you do not make your trip to your destination. You do not get a refund if the delay is on the return. It is only when you do not fly at all or fly part of your outward itinerary but decide to come back half-way on your way to your destination because the trip would not serve any purpose any more as a result of the delay that the issue of a refund arises.
With awards, they would presumably have to re-credit your miles, which does indeed get fun if the ticket is issued using miles from another FFP.
Compensation is entirely distinct. It is the set sums defined in article 7 of the reg. As I read it, in case of DBC or canx, you may be entitled both to compensation and reimbursement. In case of delay, you are only entitled to reimbursement, and then only if you don't fly and the delay exceeds five hours.
I agree. Howeve, sometimes, if there is a substantial delay, the "return" portion of a trip serves no purpose -- especially when the "return" is not to your "home" (e.g., A-B-C-D-E). And Then it's a trip in vain.

I have already faced a cancelled KLM flight using NW miles since this regulation became effective; I have not yet filed my claim, but I am curious on how KLM approaches the issue since they refused to re-route me on the first available flight to my "final" scheduled destination and instead choose to keep me a captive customer in such a way that I arrived at my destination a full 15-hours later.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 26, 2005 at 8:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.