Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Route on Air France for Best Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2005, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Which Route on Air France for Best Business Class?

We are going on a cruise that leaves from Singapore and ends in Dubai. I want to use the Am Express Platinum program to buy one business ticket and get the other free. Air France is one possible airline which participates in this program and flies in and out of these countries.

My question is this: We live in Miami and can take direct flights from Miami to Singapore thru CDG and then Dubai to Miami again thru CDG. However, the planes on the Miami to CDG route are the old 747-100's. If we go from JFK thru CDG for these routes, we will be on the newer 777 airplanes. The cost is the same adding in the Miami-JFK ticket if we go from there. Is it worth having one more connection at JFK or should we just go from Miami?

Or should we go on Cathay Pacific out of SFO, approximately the same airfare...Cathay Pacific seems to have the best reviews....however, it is more air hours to fly this route.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old May 23, 2005, 5:39 pm

Cathay Pacific hands down! Even with the extra travel time the lounge and in-flight service is far better than Air France! Plus AF always seems to be on some sort of strike. Has happened to me personally TWICE! The unions in France are very powerful. Example if teachers go on strike the airline workers do the same to support each other as they belong to the same union. It happened again just two days ago...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3021931.stm

And again on May 16th!

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/eu....holiday.reut/

BEWARE!
Old May 23, 2005, 7:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by glsebs
. However, the planes on the Miami to CDG route are the old 747-100's.
Old 747-100s? Air France hasn't flown those in more than five years.

Miami is served with new 747-400s. They are anything but old, and have identical premium class products that the 777s have. Miami will be served by the 744s until the F-class 744s leave, when MIA will be seeing a mix of 772s and 744s.
Old May 23, 2005, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

glsebs Welcome to Flyertalk. By all means take AF. I have always been quite pleased with their Business class. I have also flown Cathay. I would always opt for the most direct, quickest route on a long-haul flight; surely, what you are discussing, is very long-haul. Cathay offers better food and service. Having said that: You are still on an airplane, so as good as the food is, it is not going to be fabulous! AF's food and service is just fine and if you can save hours in the air--than do it. Just one flier's opinion. Enjoy your cruise and your time here on FT.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:54 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
mmm I'll throw in my hat on this one... CX all the way... AF in biz has one of the tightest seat pitches around... had fantastic services with Cathay... which i cant say about AF... ok... but not spectacular...
Old May 24, 2005, 7:02 am
Original Poster

I want to say thank you to all of you who have given me your opinion re my original post. After a little more research, the difference in flying time betweeen Air France and Cathay Pacific is the 5 hour flight from Miami to SFO to fly Cathay Pacific. Also, there is a 15 hour layover in CDG on the AF flight to Singapore, which we could avoid if we spent a night or two in Paris which would not be a bad thing!
Now I found out that Air Emirates is also in the AmExp program...they have a non stop flight from Dubai to JFK...the airfare is more, but the flying time is significantly less. I am wary of this airline as I don't know anyone who has flown on it.
Any other opinions would be appreciated before I book my flights.
BTW, this is a fantastic website and forum....so helpful for airline questions.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:10 am

Hi I would not even blink twice at flying Air Emirates they have one of the youngest aircraft fleets. Plus the service is amazing. Check out their site at:
www.emirates.com where you can see aircraft interiors/types.. etc.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:22 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Emirates is definitely your best option. Have heard nothing but great things about this airline.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:01 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Flew Emirates twice:

DUB-BOM in J
DUB-CSB in F

....on par with CX, SQ, no doubt.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:03 pm

glsebs,
I have flown with all the airlines in Biz Class & would not hesitate to use any of them again.
Each option has its own benefits as you state.

Air France
Very good service and food along with nice wines.
Slightly less seat pitch than other two on the 744's at the minute on MIA-CDG route but still very comfortable. IFE not AVOD yet. ( Have flown this route before and am booked again in OCT.)
Exclusive cabin feel if you opt for the upstairs seats.
I think the CDG-SIN is using new 773 which is fitted with Air France's New Travel Concept cabin which is very nice. Flat bed seats and better pitch and IFE. (Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong !)
Possibility of stopover in Paris which would be nice.
Shorter Flying time than Cathay Pacific.
Only 1 connection on each leg.

Cathay Pacific
Great service and good seats on the aircraft I have flown.
Decent IFE.
Cannot comment on the SFO route though only used them in Asia.
Longest flying time though you state.

Emirates
These are a very good airline and my preferred choice of travel to Middle East from the UK.
Very good service and wines in C.
Excellent IFE. (500 channels +)
JFK-DXB route is using the new A340-500 which has great Biz Class cabin.
Dubai airport is nice to transit in.
More expensive you state but a direct flight albeit with a connection from MIA-JFK I assume.

Hope this helps a little but it basically all depends on what is the most important factor for you, any you choose should be great and I hope you have a top time !!
Old May 24, 2005, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by beaubo
Flew Emirates twice:

DUB-BOM in J
DUB-CSB in F
beaubo,

I think you mean DXB not DUB.

Emirates haven't added the home of Guinness to their route map yet
Old May 24, 2005, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Be careful about CX on HKG-DXB. Some a/c used on this route have the regional BC configuration which isn't very good. I think it's the n/s flights that are o.k., but beware of those that make 1 or 2 stops as they're usually operated by regional BC-configured a/c (777s and most 330s (those w/o a FC cabin)).
Old May 25, 2005, 11:24 am

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
As Airframe wrote, you probably won't go wrong with any of the mentioned airlines.
Another factor to consider is the earning of mileage. I don't know if you belong to any airline mileage program. but on a trip like this on biz class, you will earn a lot of miles, and can move well on towards elite status.
To take a few days in Paris is a nice way of breaking up the travel, so the trip doesn't hit you so hard.
Bon voyage!
Old May 25, 2005, 11:28 am

If it was me I would not hesitate to go with Emirates. They are fantastic!
Old May 28, 2005, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help and advice. I have decided to use Air France for this trip as it is significantly less expensive that the others.
Before I book this, I need to decide whether to use my home airport of Miami as my gateway or JFK.
Miami-Cdg-Sin and Dubai-CDG- Miami is $1000 more than using Jfk as the gateway and going Jfk-cdg-sin and dubai-cdg-jfk. Also, the business seats on the jfk-cdg route are the new business class which go flat. The mia-cdg route uses the 747 with the normal business seats. Of course, I would have to spend about $400 for two round trip mia-jfk tickets. So, this is the question....would you spend $600 more to have the convenience of flying out of your home airport with the 747 business or save $600 and go from jfk with the new business seats.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated before i call the travel agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.