Compensation for delayed flight

Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Compensation for delayed flight

On Mar 14th, my ORY-RUN flight AF 680 departed with a two hours delay.

The day after, I received a letter from Air France apologizing for the delay and
my Frequence Plus account has been credited with 12.000 (12k) miles as compensation. It is stated as FIDN in my account. I did not write any letter complaining about the delay.

Has anyone experience this or is it only consequences of new UE rules
concerning compensations for delayed flights ?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:38 am

Programs: VIRTUOSO Travel agent, Amex cent, FB Lifetime Plat.
Originally Posted by halflife

The day after, I received a letter from Air France apologizing for the delay and
my Frequence Plus account has been credited with 12.000 (12k) miles as compensation. It is stated as FIDN in my account. I did not write any letter complaining about the delay.

what was the delay due to?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing to do with EU Law. The new Reg do not provide for compensation in case of delay (just food, telephone calls and overnight accommodation where relevant). Other EU legislation (based on the Montreal Convention) do foresee liability, but this is a liability in damages: you need to establish the damage caused to you and ask AF for reimbursement.

The miles were just an ex gratia payment.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by NickB
The miles were just an ex gratia payment.
But a good one.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. I am well impressed, not having ever received anything from AF, even with flight cancellations and, as a result of it, delays of several hours.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:55 am
Original Poster

The flight has been delayed because they were not able to close the baggage hold doors.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum

you are lucky; usually and since 3 years , they credit an average of 5000 miles for this kind of delay) I was on 2000 , i got 25000 miles for an 8h delay on LAX-CDG and rerouting on AA.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold

I wish I had. I am stuck at CDG because i missed my connection flight yesterday as CPH airport was closed. they just put me in a hotel and booked the first flight for me. actually i am sitting at 2F lounge waiting for boarding.

by the way? af lounge staff cannot give hotel vouchers. I had to wait at transfer desk with alot of others. do i have to complain?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by chrissxb
I wish I had. I am stuck at CDG because i missed my connection flight yesterday as CPH airport was closed. they just put me in a hotel and booked the first flight for me. actually i am sitting at 2F lounge waiting for boarding.

by the way? af lounge staff cannot give hotel vouchers. I had to wait at transfer desk with alot of others. do i have to complain?
This is a real weakness in the system which I have written AF about. The more they hear it, the more they might consider empowering their lounge agents to handle this type of problem for their most frequent customers, instead of making us stand in line with dozens of other people (gosh that sounds horribly elitist). By the way, if you want compensation for the delay, you'll probably have to ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.