FP Bleu Status Worth It?

Old Oct 13, 03, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
FP Bleu Status Worth It?

While I'm usually a loyal *A customer, my employer's policy of booking me on the cheapest flights available (and the lack of *A services to West Africa) has recently made me take AF quite a bit. Now I'm within range of FP Bleu status this year and am wondering whether I should go out of my way to qualify. As I never really received a comprehensive booklet on FP, I'm wondering what the benefits of Bleu status are, and how it compares with, say, *A Silver. Any insights would be most appreciated.
Old Oct 13, 03, 12:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
AF F+ Blue cannot be compared to any elite status on an other alliance; no lounge access, no real recognition. However, on very worthwhile advantage, is a 50% bonus miles on each flight. You can also check-in in business class, and pre-reserve your seat, although this is not very effective.

If you are going to continue traveling AF next year the 50% bonus is well worth it as AF are quite generous on miles especialy on cheap tickets (except within France).

And with the new business and 1st class, and their regular 2 for 1 promo, you will soon be able to offer yourself and loved one a nice holiday.

For the oficial version look up the AF site, Frequente flyer programs - Fréquence Plus - more info - Club benefits
Old Oct 13, 03, 3:50 pm

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
AF Bleu almost seems better than Star Silver. The ONLY benefit of Star Silver is priority boarding (hit and miss especially in Europe). They don't even get priority check-in.
Old Oct 14, 03, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Lavasushi - what I was really referring to was LH FTL status, which gets you a 25% bonus, business-class check-in, and access to the airline's own business lounges. To me, FP Bleu seems better in terms of milage acrual, a tie with regards to check-in benefits and worse in terms of lounge access. The latter is really a pity, I do appreciate the lounge access at LH's hubs.
Old Oct 14, 03, 3:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
I think Bleu is worth it. When I was Bleu, besides getting the 50% and the Biz class check-in, I "upgraded" to Tempo Challenge on inter-European flights more times than not.

No real difference in seating (you do get champagne though on occasion) but you do get lounge access.

[Edited to add] Arnur, F+ Rouge is only 15k more miles since you live outside of France. Any chance of you getting an extra 15k by end of year?

[This message has been edited by dctorres (edited 10-14-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 03, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you, dctorres, let's see how much more I can use AF this year. Unfortunately, I only started flying Skyteam at the end of June and most of my long-distance flights were in the first part of the year. For my intro-European flights, mostly to Southeastern Europe, AF is not really an option. There might be a flight to MNL in December, but the connection at CDG is poor (need to stay overnight).
Old Oct 15, 03, 2:30 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
They have been quite generous to me on upgrades on short-haul and domestic flights. The 50 per cent bonus is probably only worth it if you do a lot of long-haul flights (which I don't at the moment). However, to get there I didn't realise that all Skyteam activities counted. A number of Air France people, in their unbelievable ignorance, said that you only get there by flying "Air France pure".
Old Oct 16, 03, 8:50 am

Programs: AF FB Platinum (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz Five Star / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
I agree with the comments made by Bungus and dctorres above: I think Bleu is worth it just for the Biz check-in and the 50% mileage bonus (and mileage is accrued on almost any fare).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: