Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Air France Unions Call Strike May 25;" STUNNING *GASP* SHOCK

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2003, 4:56 pm

Arriving on the am of the 28th. Looks like we just squeeked by.
Old May 26, 2003, 7:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
Thanks to all those that turned this thread into a relevant one and didn't let it snowball. It got off to a bad start.

Derek
AF Moderator
Old May 27, 2003, 2:03 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
80% of flights are cancelled. From 800 to 900 flights will land or take-off from French airport today, while on an average day, the figure ranges from 4,000 to 4,300.

In addition, 50% of flights scheduled to go through French airspace are allowed to operate.
Old May 27, 2003, 1:45 pm

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
There may be a third ATC strike (sigh) next Tuesday, June 3rd.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:00 am

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JOUY31:
There may be a third ATC strike (sigh) next Tuesday, June 3rd.</font>
The french... on strike? Wow, I'd never had imagined
Old May 30, 2003, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tann1001:
The french... on strike? Wow, I'd never had imagined</font>
we've established that the french have a penchant for striking.

please add something to the conversation and not just a one-line, glib comment.

thanks.
Old May 31, 2003, 11:13 am

Here is the list of flights allowed by the French civil aviation administration (DGAC) allowed to operate on June 3rd (updated May 31st, 6:00 PM)

http://www.dgac.fr/html/actu_gd/greve03_06.htm

According to some reports, the strike might last two additional days. One union, UNSA, is calling for a strike on Tuesday only, while CGT and FO are calling for a three-day strike. No information yet from SNCTA.

SNCTA is the majority union among air traffic controllers, while CGT is the leading union for the civil aviation administration as a whole.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:58 am

My STR-CDG flight, which, yesterday, was still scheduled to operate, was cancelled during the night, due to the continuing effects of the air traffic controllers' strike (CGT and FO). I was automatically rebooked on the following flight. They did not manage to keep my seat assignment, and I had to get back from 1C to 2C, they are still not giving me my inflight Poire Williams (Ok, it is not a constitutional right ), but all in all, they managed the problem with ease and efficiency.

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 06-04-2003).]
Old Jun 4, 2003, 7:10 am
In Memoriam

It appears that unions are calling for another strike on Tuesday, the 10th (date that the reforms are voted on).

I hope this will not affect traffic, I'm flying to the US that day. Don't need the headache.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dctorres:
It appears that unions are calling for another strike on Tuesday, the 10th (date that the reforms are voted on).

I hope this will not affect traffic, I'm flying to the US that day. Don't need the headache.
</font>
Long-haul flights are usually given by AF higher priority over short-haul and medium flights. No long haul flight was cancelled in the last ATC strikes, while over 65% of short and medium haul flights were cancelled.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:31 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yep!

---

Another French Strike Hits Airlines

Air travel in France is facing major disruption again on Tuesday as public sector unions repeat their strike action for the third week in a row.

As workers wrangle with the government over pension reforms, airlines are resigned to cancelling flights to and from France and re-scheduling the few that do manage to get into the air.

The 24-hour strike, which will also hit rail and bus services, is expected to affect operations at country's national carrier, Air France, in similar fashion to last week.

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2003/06/1055158022.html
Old Jun 9, 2003, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam

...which won't affect long-haul flights. Well, perhaps delay, but not cancelled.

I'm been assured that my flight tomorrow is definitely on. Now, getting to CDG is another matter altogether.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
You guys need to get a grip on things over the pond or absolutely no one will do business in France and other strike prone countries. If I was running a business I think you'd have to do A LOT of convincing for me to set up shop in a place where its next to impossible to do business because of everpresent strikes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.