Wiki Posts
Search

problems with Air France Codeshare on Continental

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2001, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

problems with Air France Codeshare on Continental

I recently bought a ticket on Air France to
Bucharest through a travel agent. While sitting in her office putting together the
flight schedule, I very clearly specified that all flights had to be AF or Delta operated aircraft, so that I could earn my miles and segments with Delta. The travel agent assured me that they were. It was late in the afternoon and she said she would
issue the ticket and mail it to me. When it
arrived several days later, the return trans-Atlantic flight was on a Continental-operated codeshare.

I called the travel agent and told her that this was not acceptable. She contended that
her computer info did not designate the flight in question as operated by Continental. Air France will not change the
flight without a $150. penalty. The AF website that we consumers can access DOES designate that flight very clearly as operated by Continental.

Delta tells me that there would be no Delta
miles or segment credit for the CO-operated flight. AF gave several versions but after
getting a supervisor, they said, all segments
could earn AF miles, or the AF-segments could
earn Delta miles (but no miles on any program
for the CO segment).

Is the agent right about AF blindsiding her?
Should I make her eat the problem by challenging it on my credit card or should I
threaten to sue AF under North CArolina's
Unfair Business Practices Statute?
Old Feb 17, 2001, 8:10 pm

Originally posted by Carolinian:
I recently bought a ticket on Air France to
Bucharest through a travel agent. While sitting in her office putting together the
flight schedule, I very clearly specified that all flights had to be AF or Delta operated aircraft, so that I could earn my miles and segments with Delta. The travel agent assured me that they were. It was late in the afternoon and she said she would
issue the ticket and mail it to me. When it
arrived several days later, the return trans-Atlantic flight was on a Continental-operated codeshare.
You didn't have the travel agent fax you the itinerary before booking it? I do; but I've been burned by travel agents before.

Travel agents often do not know the peculiarities of airline frequent flyer programs. If you are certain of the rules (and/or have confirmed with the airline directly), make sure you get a faxed copy of the itinerary before the ticket is issued.

To answer your initial question, you absolutely will not be able to get DL miles on a CO operated flight. And I don't think that filing a lawsuit will help, either.

Old Feb 17, 2001, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a similar problem a few years ago. Idiot agent booked me on Crossair rath than SR (when they were with DL). At the airport, the SR agent told me that I'd get my miles. Well, you know the rest. E-mails to DL and SR solved nothing.
Old Feb 17, 2001, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

In this case, it was not a matter of depending on the travel agent for the rules.
I specified that the flights had to be on AF
or Delta operated aircraft. She told me that
the flights were on such aircraft and one was
not. That is a clear breach of contract, certainly as to the travel agent, and probably as to her principle, Air France.
Old Feb 18, 2001, 5:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
Your story looks strange, because all Paris-Bucharest flights are AF operated (or Tarom...).
Some seats are sold under the DL or CO code, only in conjunction with a transatlantic flight (CO & DL do not have the traffic rights).
In other terms, you can get a CO code Paris-Bucharest only with a CO code transatlantic flight.
Is this the case?
If not, your travel agent broke the rules, under his own responsibility.
Old Feb 18, 2001, 8:09 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
This is purely the fault of your TA. I switched TAs several times and finally found one that is really good. I never have these problems any more, and have been with this TA for 6 years now and over 300 tickets issued by her.

In the end of the day, the airlines and their computers suck and a good TA knows how to check, double check and tripple check. Then, if there is an error, a good TA can call the airlines and have them waive change fees.

Get a new TA!
Old Feb 18, 2001, 9:35 am
Original Poster

The CO-operated segment was the return trans-Atlantic segment. Both segments between Paris and Bucharest were AF-operated. I was
aware of the TAROM codeshares, and also specifically directed that those be avoided.
The TA did manage to do those segments correctly.
Old Mar 23, 2001, 3:52 pm

Programs: FB-Plat, HHonors Gold
So okay get your TA to reimburse your US$150.00 that's only fair. Challenging the credit card should be a good option, but legally doesn't bring you any good. You did sign the papers, it isn't the CC-companies fault.

I went recently to Bucharest and both flights were indeed AF.

------------------
Cheers,

Brenno.
Old Mar 31, 2001, 4:30 am

So what happened in the end?
Old Mar 31, 2001, 7:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
At the end, the Prince and the Princess got married, the witch ate the poisoned apple and died.
Old Apr 1, 2001, 7:09 am

and they lived happily ever after! THANKS!

No tell me did they pay the US$150?

------------------
Cheers,

Brenno.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.