I fare - pay for seat selection?

Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I fare - pay for seat selection?

Just got reaccommodated on AF for a LAX-BKK flight as SV suspended LAX service. Went to choose seats (AF recognized the booking within seconds and it was up as soon as I logged in - funny that SV's original PNR is used by AF and QR, the other reaccommodating airline). Anyway, seat selection for the 1st flight was free but there's a charge for the 2nd, so am I in business basic (I fare)? Never seen that offered by AF but certainly by KL.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Dec 1, 2023 at 9:25 pm
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:02 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Just got reaccommodated on AF for a LAX-BKK flight as SV suspended LAX service. Went to choose seats (AF recognized the booking within seconds and it was up as soon as I logged in - funny that SV's original PNR is used by AF and QR, the other reaccommodating airline). Anyway, seat selection for the 1st flight was free but there's a charge for the 2nd, so am I in business basic (I fare)? Never seen that offered by AF but certainly by KL.
Likely. AF and KL now have light J fares that imply payment for seat selection, only free at check in (and no lounge access). Vaguely recall implementation for transatlantic flights comes later. Thanks to status I have no issues with that.

And yes, when I was rerouted from SV to TK same thing, TK used the original PNR.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. Will have Silver by end of this month hopefully so can get the seat selection. Funny about seat selection for 1 flight but not the other (both on the SV IRTUS fare). How does one find out about lounge access, or that's not until checkin? If lounge access is not an option for purchase on the reservation, can I assume I have lounge access?

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Dec 2, 2023 at 12:27 am
Old Dec 2, 2023, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It seems you are indeed on a light fare for the 2nd leg to BKK, so without lounge access. I would clearly try to push on this as you were rebooked from SV with all traditional J benefits. There is no reason "to play it cheap" with you putting you on a fate with restrictions like fee for seat selection and lounge access. For the seat selection, as you rightly said, you should solve this when becoming Silver.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
It seems you are indeed on a light fare for the 2nd leg to BKK, so without lounge access. I would clearly try to push on this as you were rebooked from SV with all traditional J benefits. There is no reason "to play it cheap" with you putting you on a fate with restrictions like fee for seat selection and lounge access. For the seat selection, as you rightly said, you should solve this when becoming Silver.
Do I push this when at the lounge or with reservations pre-departure? One thing the reservation isn't pushing is option to buy access. The original Saudia ticket is in Business Basic but their does include lounge access and seat selection.

i did find this and have a copy

Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
SV issued the ticket at their cheapest fare and probably bought from AF at their cheaper fare.
Once this is done, I doubt that you would have any chance with the lounge dragon.
I suggest that you try now.
The new AF light fare restrictions (lounge access and seat reservation) does not apply to the US segment as it is not implemented by AF yet.
orbitmic and blairvanhorn like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In truth, it would have been SV's duty to re-accommodate the OP under a fare that includes lounge access and seat assignment so, in principle, this is an issue to raise with SV rather than AF (still less the lounge dragons on the day). That said, I have no idea of what kind of service you can expect from SV in relation to invol rerouting and whether the OP would be wasting his time trying or not.

Were it covered by Reg 261/2004, you could certainly insist on being rerouted "under comparable transport conditions", which I would argue would include comparable service elements in addition to being rebooked in the same cabin (no caselaw that I know of on that, though). I have no idea as to whether there are DoT directives to airlines that would cover the issue, were SV not to play ball with the OP.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Do I push this when at the lounge or with reservations pre-departure?
You need to do this now. The lounge agent will not care at all on travel day as he/she will have to follow the rules of the ticket and they will not be aware of the history behind. And I agree with NickB : you should discuss with SV for this. Not sure it will work, but worth to try.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. So the fix will have to be made by Saudia? Do I propose them move me up a class to D or J? Or how can a mere reservation agent do?

Layover at CDG is 2:15. Could easily spend a bit of that time trying to persuade lounge dragons.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Dec 3, 2023 at 8:54 am
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Thanks all. So the fix will have to be made by Saudia? Do I propose them move me up a class to D or J? Or how can a mere reservation agent do?

Layover at CDG is 2:15. Could easily spend a bit of that time trying to persuade lounge dragons.
It's not really a question of fare class, as there can be light fares in nearly if not every class.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I think you have to convince SV they have to book you in a class with the perks you had with SV. Once you are on an AF/KL light J ticket, AF/KL staff simply can do little else as seeing you are on a ticket that does not give lounge access. And since it was not an AF/KL ticketing mistake or so (see another horrible thread with automatic downgrades from Z to Y for several people), AF/KL staff can only give you the perks that you are entitled to the ticket you have. Anything more is pure goodwill (and probably against the rules staff has to comply with). It is not a AF/KL problem you have been rerouted in the first place, that is an SV problem. So SV should solve it properly with you (and maybe pay a higher compensation to AF/KL).
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atflyer
I think you have to convince SV they have to book you in a class with the perks you had with SV. Once you are on an AF/KL light J ticket, AF/KL staff simply can do little else as seeing you are on a ticket that does not give lounge access. And since it was not an AF/KL ticketing mistake or so (see another horrible thread with automatic downgrades from Z to Y for several people), AF/KL staff can only give you the perks that you are entitled to the ticket you have. Anything more is pure goodwill (and probably against the rules staff has to comply with). It is not a AF/KL problem you have been rerouted in the first place, that is an SV problem. So SV should solve it properly with you (and maybe pay a higher compensation to AF/KL).
Thanks. Will get with SV when I get back from this trip. Have never purchased a KL or AF lite biz ticket before. Does lounge access come up as an option on the reservation with one of these? I looked at the purchased lounge access info and it seems to indicated it appears on trip paid options. It's not appearing for either of the 2 AF flights. Missed ticket purchase (obviously) and a long time until check in.

FWIW, lite fares aren't offered from Canada at the moment either.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just went to check my reservation again.

The 2nd leg (layover at CDG) has this symbol which I had not noticed before.

Presumably it's a lounge access included icon (others present are baggage allowance, meals, seat selection)? FWIW, it was not present on my current trip on the outbound on any legs (Long2 => Medium, or on the return Medium. Just the final Long2 flight out of CDG.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: FB platinum
They included this lounge information for quite some time now. But it's very useless as it's only there for CDG and AMS lounges, where the lounge is quite easy to guess, and never for outstations with third party lounges where it would actually provide some interesting information...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.