Air France Combine Itinerary

Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Air France Combine Itinerary

Hello All!

I am very new to the Air France / Flying Blue program. I am planning on booking a ticket from YYZ to ICN via CDG, operated by Air France. Then, I am planning on buying a separate ticket flying from ICN to XMN, operated by Xiamen Air, at the same day. I don't know why I can't find the whole trip from USA/Canada to XMN (China) in the system, but I know it is normal. That's the reason why I am planning to book two separate trips and combine them together. Does anyone familiar with if Air France is able to combine their itinerary, with Xiamen Air, especially since they are both in SkyTeam.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by littlepink
Hello All!

I am very new to the Air France / Flying Blue program. I am planning on booking a ticket from YYZ to ICN via CDG, operated by Air France. Then, I am planning on buying a separate ticket flying from ICN to XMN, operated by Xiamen Air, at the same day. I don't know why I can't find the whole trip from USA/Canada to XMN (China) in the system, but I know it is normal. That's the reason why I am planning to book two separate trips and combine them together. Does anyone familiar with if Air France is able to combine their itinerary, with Xiamen Air, especially since they are both in SkyTeam.

Thanks in advance!
Are you trying to buy a revenue ticket or is this a Flying Blue redemption? Even though AF/KL are in the same alliance as MF, it is quite possible that the itinerary you are trying to get ticketed by AF/KL is something they just don't sell. There are a myriad of fare rules that apply in terms of combinability of fares, and it is possible that you are just falling out of those.

You are also trying to string together a very complex itinerary, YYZ-CDG-ICN-XMN. This is not a normal route so it is unlikely that a website will offer this to you. Do you have a specific reason to want to take this exact route? Or are you aiming to get to XML on a AF/KL issued ticket? If it is just that you want to have a AF/KL issued ticket, then YYZ to XMN is definitely possible on a combination of AF, KL and MF. I have never seen a fare that combines an AF flight from CDG to a MF flight, but there is a MF flight from AMS to XMN that regularly gets sold by KL as a KL coded flight. I have even flown on this service before. As an experiment, I tried looking up possible airfares and see that ITA Matrix can price a YYZ-CDG-AMS-XMN with a XMN-AMS-YYZ return.

That said, if this is a redemption ticket then this is very unlikely to work. Not every possible flight combination is available for redemption. You could try calling FB to see if they can get you a more complex redemption, but it might not be worth your points.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sehgalanuj
Are you trying to buy a revenue ticket or is this a Flying Blue redemption? Even though AF/KL are in the same alliance as MF, it is quite possible that the itinerary you are trying to get ticketed by AF/KL is something they just don't sell. There are a myriad of fare rules that apply in terms of combinability of fares, and it is possible that you are just falling out of those.

You are also trying to string together a very complex itinerary, YYZ-CDG-ICN-XMN. This is not a normal route so it is unlikely that a website will offer this to you. Do you have a specific reason to want to take this exact route? Or are you aiming to get to XML on a AF/KL issued ticket? If it is just that you want to have a AF/KL issued ticket, then YYZ to XMN is definitely possible on a combination of AF, KL and MF. I have never seen a fare that combines an AF flight from CDG to a MF flight, but there is a MF flight from AMS to XMN that regularly gets sold by KL as a KL coded flight. I have even flown on this service before. As an experiment, I tried looking up possible airfares and see that ITA Matrix can price a YYZ-CDG-AMS-XMN with a XMN-AMS-YYZ return.

That said, if this is a redemption ticket then this is very unlikely to work. Not every possible flight combination is available for redemption. You could try calling FB to see if they can get you a more complex redemption, but it might not be worth your points.
Hello,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. Yes, The Air France part YYZ-CDG-ICN is a reward ticket, and ICN-XMN part is a revenue ticket. I am not able to find ICN-XMN reward ticket, and that is why I plan to cash in it. Is it okay to have first part reward ticket and combine my second part revenue ticket into one itinerary?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hello,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. Yes, The Air France part YYZ-CDG-ICN is a reward ticket, and ICN-XMN part is a revenue ticket. I am not able to find ICN-XMN reward ticket, and that is why I plan to cash in it. Is it okay to have first part reward ticket and combine my second part revenue ticket into one itinerary?
There is no way to combine a revenue and redemption ticket. That said, if ICN-XMN is a revenue ticket, I am guessing it is not even an AF/KL ticket since they don't sell that route on their own stock? In general, you cannot combine two separate tickets into one. They will always be separate. So even if you manage to get your bags interlined across two different itineraries (AF/KL usually do this for their own flights, and pre-pandemic usually worked for Skyteam partners too), the tickets will still be separate. This means that if the incoming flight is late, you will lose the flights on the second ticket.

Is the YYZ-CDG-ICN itinerary something you must absolutely fly? There's probably better way to get to XMN even with FB redemptions.

EDIT: As a thought, why not fly into one of the larger airports in China (PVG, PEK, etc.)? You will probably have a lot more options to XMN in that case than trying from ICN.

Last edited by sehgalanuj; Oct 15, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Old Oct 15, 2023, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sehgalanuj
There is no way to combine a revenue and redemption ticket. That said, if ICN-XMN is a revenue ticket, I am guessing it is not even an AF/KL ticket since they don't sell that route on their own stock? In general, you cannot combine two separate tickets into one. They will always be separate. So even if you manage to get your bags interlined across two different itineraries (AF/KL usually do this for their own flights, and pre-pandemic usually worked for Skyteam partners too), the tickets will still be separate. This means that if the incoming flight is late, you will lose the flights on the second ticket.

Is the YYZ-CDG-ICN itinerary something you must absolutely fly? There's probably better way to get to XMN even with FB redemptions.

EDIT: As a thought, why not fly into one of the larger airports in China (PVG, PEK, etc.)? You will probably have a lot more options to XMN in that case than trying from ICN.
Thank you very much for your so valuable information! I think you are right, I need to look around for other larger airports in China, that is my blind spot!
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I am planning on booking a ticket from YYZ to ICN via CDG, operated by Air France. Then, I am planning on buying a separate ticket flying from ICN to XMN, operated by Xiamen Air, at the same day. I don't know why I can't find the whole trip from USA/Canada to XMN (China) in the system, but I know it is normal. That's the reason why I am planning to book two separate trips and combine them together.
Do not do this.

Pick up the phone and talk to Air France, or better yet talk to a travel agent locally. Air France is not a real travel agent, and they will predominantly only want to sell tickets on their own services, and a very very small subset of all possible partner flights. A travel agent will be able to issue these flights on the same ticket even if AF can't or doesn't want to.

There is no such thing as "combining" tickets once you have purchased them separately.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:15 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
An experienced traveler may be able to pull this off. But there are various risks, for example the flight to ICN being delayed (Which would cause you to lose your ticket to China). Additionally you will have to pickup (and re-check) your luggage, requiring a visa to enter Korea. This also applies from AF's perspective, they will want to see/verify that you are allowed to enter Korea prior to boarding (As Korea is your final destination from their perspective).

I would not recommend this if other options are available. It may be possible but requires a lot of planning, additional risk of being stranded, and so on. Not a good way to travel (imho).
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: FB Gold
For what it's worth, MF flies a few days a week direct from AMS to XMN. Perhaps consider finding an itinerary YYZ - AMS - XMN. Or failing that, two separate itineraries on KL and MF- I hate suggesting this given the risks, but there's a 6h gap between flights which is enough buffer.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Do not do this.

Pick up the phone and talk to Air France, or better yet talk to a travel agent locally. Air France is not a real travel agent, and they will predominantly only want to sell tickets on their own services, and a very very small subset of all possible partner flights. A travel agent will be able to issue these flights on the same ticket even if AF can't or doesn't want to.

There is no such thing as "combining" tickets once you have purchased them separately.
A travel agent won't be able to do bugger all about a reward ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
A travel agent won't be able to do bugger all about a reward ticket.
That's why I'm advising the OP not to do what they're proposing
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's why I'm advising the OP not to do what they're proposing
OP is wanting to use miles, you are proposing they pay cash fare. I should think that if they wanted to buy a cash ticket YYZ-XMN, they would just buy a cash ticket?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Is this a business class reward ticket? If so then I dont think its a horrible routing. If its economy class then sheesh, find something more direct.

Regarding your question about combining, as others have said, theres no such thing as combining. However, you can through check your bags. I am based in Toronto and fly on Air France 6-7 times a year. The AF/KL staff in Toronto are actual staff in full AF/KL uniforms and are GREAT. Ive never had a problem through checking baggage all the way through on separate tickets. They all seem to be very proficient at it. Just make sure you have a printed copy of your second ticket. And six hours on an international itinerary like this is definitely risky. Keep in mind that they have no obligation to protect you on the second ticket if you arrive late from the first. Generally, when booking separate tickets like this, most of us would arrive the day before The onward connection.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mlin32
For what it's worth, MF flies a few days a week direct from AMS to XMN. Perhaps consider finding an itinerary YYZ - AMS - XMN. Or failing that, two separate itineraries on KL and MF- I hate suggesting this given the risks, but there's a 6h gap between flights which is enough buffer.
This MF flight even has a KL number, which as I said to the OP, I have even used to get directly to XMN. It is possible to even find redemption flights on this MF flight via AMS, but it seems those redemptions only show up if the origin is in Europe and not from YYZ. This really might require a call to FB to see if they can manually price a redemption ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
You do know that MF flies non-stop YVR-XMN? Might it not be easier to get a reward ticket for that route only,
and fly a cheapish YYZ-YVR return?
sehgalanuj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.