No alcohol service

Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IB Slvr, EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
No alcohol service

Recently I had to take a flight from Dubai to Paris at very short notice. Usually I will fly with Emirates but the price was too expensive so I flew overnight premium economy with AF.

First meal service is a snack and when I asked the cabin crew lady for a glass of red wine I was met with surprise on her behalf. She explained that they did not serve alcohol with this meal service, which I thought a little odd given there was a drinks menu on the info screen.

Then she offered to get me some wine from business class, which I thought even more odd and asked her not to make a fuss. I was presented with a tiny paper cup of white wine!

Come breakfast time which was the main meal of the flight I thought ‘’oh I’ll have a glass of champagne.’’
The screen menu had been updated at this point to show the breakfast menu alongside the drinks menu.

When I asked the cabin crew they were nothing sure of incredulous and said there was no champagne available and spoke French to each other. Perhaps just a white wine then, I ventured. No, there is no alcohol available she replied, offering no explanation and if I’m honest I was left feeling quite embarrassed.

About a half hour later the Purser came to me saying she believed I was upset and wanted to follow up – I wasn’t upset, just bemused. She explained that they fly from Paris to Dubai with full load of hospitality, but the drinks are not replenished for the return leg, and so only First and Business are served drinks. She was so matter of fact about it and asked if I wanted to register an official complaint, I didn’t.

Is this the norm? Are passengers expected to know about this in advance? I havn't been with AF in years so wanted to asked you frequent fliers for your opinion, thanks.

Last edited by PeterFlorrick; Aug 3, 2023 at 9:01 am
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
That sounds like it's not that there is no drinks service, but that the outbound leg was drunk dry, and the crew decided to not offer drinks service rather than deal with complaints that this isn't available and that isn't available.

Not ideal, but it does happen sometimes.
hhdl and carnarvon like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 12:17 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I've never seen anything this bad, but have heard tales of "We don't serve champagne" in the past. It's frustrating to be told your request goes beyond your booked class of service when the truth is the airline did not stock the plane properly. No one wants to be the person who says, "But this is what the AF website says."
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielflyer
I've never seen anything this bad, but have heard tales of "We don't serve champagne" in the past. It's frustrating to be told your request goes beyond your booked class of service when the truth is the airline did not stock the plane properly. No one wants to be the person who says, "But this is what the AF website says."
Initially I thought my champagne request was too much so I down graded it to wine, mais non!
Old Aug 3, 2023, 12:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Diamond), Marriott (Titatinum), British Airways Exec Club (Gold)
I know that AF doesn't offer alcohol on very early morning flights unlike many other airlines. One day I flew from CDG to JFK on a morning flight and they did not serve alcohol with the "brunch style" meal.

Maybe that was your case.

That said, AF is trying to cut on anything possible : no sparkling water on early domestic flights (people don't drink sparkling water for breakfast...), no hot meals on the whole medium haul network (even 3hrs+, even in business class)...
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meli silver.
I just spoke with an AF crew and she confirmed that they serve alcohol in all classes on DXB/CDG.

They must therefore have run out. What is not acceptable though is the "She explained that they did not serve alcohol with this meal service," which is BS.

It would have been much better to be honest and say "sorry, we ran out because of catering issues".
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Oh, that's good to know. I wonder if AF flags that to passengers in advance of booking!
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carnarvon
I just spoke with an AF crew and she confirmed that they serve alcohol in all classes on DXB/CDG.

They must therefore have run out. What is not acceptable though is the "She explained that they did not serve alcohol with this meal service," which is BS.

It would have been much better to be honest and say "sorry, we ran out because of catering issues".
That's why it was so perplexing to me! I thought it was standard, since most people in the cabin were sleeping at that point anyway.
So, I was really looking forward to my champagne with breakfast LOL.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:26 am
Suspended

it's surprising to see you questioning AF's standards about the drink offering. The FA clearly explained the reason as one-time incident about the catering service (outsourced) in DBX who forgot to replenish the drinks and that they usually flight with full load of hospitality. They have always served alcohol even in economy class.
It's not like the FA tried to BS you. She gave you the proper explanation.

Last edited by flyertalker00143; Aug 3, 2023 at 9:32 am
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by macaron35
it's surprising to see you questioning AF's standards about the drink offering. The FA clearly explained the reason as one-time incident about the catering service (outsourced) in DBX who forgot to replenish the drinks and that they usually flight with full load of hospitality. They have always served alcohol even in economy class.
It's not like the FA tried to BS you. She gave you the proper explanation.
Purser did.
The FA didn't. The serving FA did try to BS OP with the "we don't serve alcohol with this service" line.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Purser did.
The FA didn't. The serving FA did try to BS OP with the "we don't serve alcohol with this service" line.
sorry I missed that

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.