Upgrade experience to J from SEA to CDG

Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Upgrade experience to J from SEA to CDG

Seattle woman got upgraded to business class on AF flight from SEA to CDG and then was requested to change her seats so that a woman and her child could sit next to each other.

She puts it on TikTok that she refused and the video "went viral."

https://www.newsweek.com/plane-passe...tiktok-1814492

What I want to know is how many Americans are getting upgraded on AF flights from the US to CDG?

Not easy to earn status on AF based in America unless one was flying to Europe through AF or SkyTeam several times a year. Or can you earn enough on non-AF flights to earn AF status?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 7:04 pm

Quite straightforward to get 100 XP (which I believe translates to FB Silver, not that this is a super fancy status or anything) via the Bank of America card, also (not having watched the video) they might also be a Delta elite.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Silver is the lowest tier in FB and that makes you eligible for TAT:L upgrade to business class?

Or do you have to apply some instrument or miles to get the upgrade?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by frappant
Silver is the lowest tier in FB and that makes you eligible for TAT:L upgrade to business class?

Or do you have to apply some instrument or miles to get the upgrade?
There could be other reasons someone got upgraded, but highly unlikely it was because of FlyingBlue status (or Delta for that matter).. Those kinds of upgrades don’t happen with the international carriers and they don’t usually happen with the Big 3 here either for international flights.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 1:19 am

Programs: FB
First, the article does not say the person was upgraded. Was that in the TT video?
Second, I would have upgraded on that flight last month, but at the airport, there was only one upgrade left to purchase, and I needed two.
Third, while frequent flyers aren't common in the community, they're less rare on board. And you're likely to find Americans who live in France, the Netherlands, or somewhere similar, have status and fly a bit between the US and Europe.
Fourth: free upgrades on AF:
  • Ultimates have those certificates you read about here.
  • hippos and other rare birds might be eligible, but I imagine they're already seated forward.
  • There's some discretion on short haul, but I've only ever seen ultis been invited across the curtain on KLM.
  • Op-ups. They happen, but you need a full flight in back, availability in J, and a mystery algo picks the first Ulti or possibly Plat in W. TATL I've had a couple Y-to-Ws and one W-to-J, averaging one such event every two to three years. Intra-Europe, I see an op-up about once a year. This is as Plat.
that's it. Yeah, there are Americans with FB status. Just because FB isn't suited for people who fly a lot domestically doesn't mean it's a desert. Looking at what Delta requires, I can imagine that someone who flies a lot internationally with ST might benefit from AMEX for the lounge access and FB for status.
wuzziduzziman and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by frappant

Not easy to earn status on AF based in America unless one was flying to Europe through AF or SkyTeam several times a year. Or can you earn enough on non-AF flights to earn AF status?
I do know Americans who prefer AF/KL FB over Delta SM, it really depends on your travel patterns (which don't necessarily need to involve travel in Europe or on AF/KL, but other ST or non ST carriers like Delta, Virgin or Copa)
Old Aug 1, 2023, 8:48 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

This sounds like an op-up or more likely, the woman purchased an upgrade at check-in and said she was upgraded.

Either way, this sounds like an overly entitled individual. Its ok if you dont want to switch, but dont gloat about it on social media.
wuzziduzziman and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:43 am
Original Poster

When I was DL Gold Medallion over a decade ago, I redeemed some AF awards with DL miles, when they weren't so inflated.

Got one Op Up for a flight back from Europe to SFO on DL but it was one and done.

Did used to get some good upgrades on transcons from SFO to JFK a couple of times.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I believe that I read somewhere that she paid for an OLCI upgrade. And didnt want to switch from row 1 to 6. Like, probably, very few people would have. Even if she did switch the family asking wouldn't really sit together anyway...seat 1A isn't really 'next to' any other seat.
danielflyer, hhdl and Artpen100 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.