Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of free snacks and drinks on shorthaul?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 10:50 am
Original Poster

End of free snacks and drinks on shorthaul?

Seems like AF is going to follow its competitors which is a shame is makes this service makes it stand out from the rest.
https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/05/29/...cks-beverages/
Old May 29, 2023, 12:04 pm
Suspended

And if people don’t drink on short haul anymore then they can also ditch lavatories 😬
lsquare and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I received the survey but it was about the free food and drinks how to improve the offering.

The issue with legacies with Business Class going down the BoB route is that it ends up being worse than LCCs. Look at BA where most of the time they have nothing substantial to sell on inbound flights to due to limited space and. AY BoB is only unhealthy snacks and drinks. Flown OS once and wanted a main but there was nothing on offer although the flight was departing Vienna.

Also, it is gonna get worse if AF moved to BoB. They won’t have anything warm as they can’t even give warm meals to Businesd Class pax!
Old May 29, 2023, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My personal guess is that if AF moves to BoB, they will end up losing more money than with the free offering, because somehow, the unions will negotiate some ridiculous perks on how it requires so much extra work so they'll want more staff, or fewer hours of work, or god knows what. So for their sake as well as ours, let's hope they don't go that way
Old May 29, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by macaron95
And if people don’t drink on short haul anymore then they can also ditch lavatories 😬
NOT true at all! How dare you? lol
Old May 29, 2023, 3:38 pm

AF/KLM consider removing food options from economy class

As I said in the seat fee thread, this is a gradually declining group of airlines.

Used to be an airline of choice, but it will now be just as mediocre as others. No reason to go out of my way to fly them.

It really is time for governments to start limiting acquisitions and JVs. Does more harm than good in the long run.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/05/29/air-france-surveying-ditching-complimentary-economy-snacks-beverages/
becks1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I guess this only applies to short-hauls. Personally I wouldn't mind, esp. if it leads to reduced ticket prices.
Old May 29, 2023, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Verboten
I guess this only applies to short-hauls. Personally I wouldn't mind, esp. if it leads to reduced ticket prices.
You must be kidding about the reduced prices.
GUWonder, Concerto, arf04 and 27 others like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 11:50 pm

How sure are we this is happening? Not saying it will not but I am pretty sure that all airlines do this type of surveys all year round to check the market. So what’s different now?
Old May 30, 2023, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Verboten
if it leads to reduced ticket prices.
Lol. Not once in the history of time has unbundling lead to lower prices.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Lol. Not once in the history of time has unbundling lead to lower prices.
Indeed. As discussed elsewhere the stripped J without seat selection and the like was sold directly as expensive as the previous inclusive fare. PR mistake, they should have given a reduced fare for the first month or so, and then add again.....But indeed, on most flights you consume say 1 beer, the 'cokosmacroon' or mini-sandwich and maybe water and if that is 2-3 Euro.....that is a marginal reduction of costs. Making profit on stuff sold is the difference.
SteveCanary likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This will indeed be a pity as sometimes these small things does make a difference. I hope (but I am very skeptical) that anything positive will come out from this. I am sure that they will conclude from the survey it the majority of passenger has indicated that they do not need these items or willing to pay for better quality items and it all becomes the same as what BA and the LH group onboard is - with lots of leftover food at the end of the day.

Such a pity that AFKLM is going the same direction.

Cheers!
smartytravel likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: FB
It's a case of easy-to-measure costs vs. hard-to-measure:
Easy:
  • Expense of catering
  • Added revenue of buy on board.

Hard:
  • FAs are no longer perceived as giving something (host-guest relationship) but as selling something (commercial transaction). Yes, the airline has always been selling something, but in that metal tube, the more work you put on the FAs to extract money from passengers, the less authority FAs have (the same holds for gate agents). You give me something, I say "thank you", even if I don't want it. You sell me something, it better be worth the price, it better be available, and I'm going to treat you like, as the song goes, a "waitress in the sky".
  • As shops in terminals heavy with BoB airlines tell you: yes, you can eat it on board. By saving a Euro on the sandwich, you encourage people to bring on board strong-smelling food and enjoy it in the tight confines of economy class. Who cares if the food is a little messy? I'm paying for the cabin to be cleaned.
  • To me, the major difference between LCCs and legacy is the flexibility of the route schedule in the case of irrops. To most passengers, that's not visible, and all they are going to see is the seat back in front of them and the food on their tray table. That and the price. You can't compete on price with LCCs without becoming one. You can create a more civil experience, and, even if I rarely eat that sandwich, I appreciate its function.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Similar example from LH group:

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2023/05/12/lufthansa-has-revealed-how-much-it-saves-per-passenger-by-removing-free-food-and-drinks-on-shorthaul-flights/

Short haul snack and drink cost 80 cents. Removing these allows them to charge 10 fold for BoB. Don't get me started on this being a money saving measure for the pax..
Old May 30, 2023, 3:29 am
Suspended

Airlines have paid huge salary bonus this year for last year’s activity (Emirates just gave 6 extra months and Singapore 8) and prices are doing nothing but increasing so it would be unbelievable to see them degrade the passenger experience to save some cents per head 🙄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.