AF free layover in Paris

Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
AF free layover in Paris

Does AF still offer free layovers in Paris when booking flights with connections in CDG? I am looking at booking a flight from Toronto to Tokyo with a connection in CDG. On the Return, when I select a layover of 1 or 2 nights, it increases the cost by $900. I am selection dates where the return cost is the same, so it's not like one of those segments is more.

I'm doing this via multi destinations (YYZ > HND via CDG, HND > CDG, CDG > YYZ) Is this something no longer offered or that I must call in to purchase?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: FB Gold
No free layovers. Haven't known of this ever being a thing with AF.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:18 pm

TK would be your best bet for a free transit hotel (layover - less then 24h).
TK also offers free Stop over hotel for 2 nights in 5* accommodation, if flying J.
I can't remember AF ever offered anything of the sorts?

Or, you could go creative
Flying Royal Air Maroc from YUL with a stop and transit hotel in Casablanca, then on to ORY for a nice airport transfer to CDG and away you go with JAL to HND.
(sorry I had to much time on my hand).

You are out of luck if you want a ST carrier for transit hotel in the vicinity Europe.

Last edited by Stil; Oct 17, 2022 at 6:40 pm
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:42 pm

A few years ago, AF had a couple of promotional J fares ex-YVR that offered free CDG stopovers (one time even including a hotel night and airport transfers). Other than that, hlas, I haven't come across any free CDG stopover fares.
Stil likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: FB
If you're less than 24 hours on the ground, it could count as a layover. You would still, of course, have to get a ticket that was reasonably cheap. Online, that usually involves the multi-destination option, and that's not great for finding the cheapest fares.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was sure AF advertised free layovers at some point before; I guess I was mistaken.

I did find a layover of sorts (Arrive at CDG at 19:15 and next flight is at 14:05) I wanted to extend this by 1 day to give me time to get into town, but I guess I can do some early shopping at Aeroville early in the morning. Who knows what my jet lag will be like coming from Japan LOL. I am choosing to do my trip to Asia through Europe as a mileage run to get Gold status rather than a cheaper price and much quicker route with Air Canada.
WSTC likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
They do offer free stopovers for trips in P, but only if it involves 2 long-haul segments in La Premire (does not work with medium haul feeders).
Otherwise, no free stopovers (layover is < 24h).
Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Free stopovers at CDG & AMS (also at 5th freedom stopovers) were recently announced on a Nordic webinar, no start date but 'soon'.

Mentioned at 17:35

Stil likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Solevita
Free stopovers at CDG & AMS (also at 5th freedom stopovers) were recently announced on a Nordic webinar, no start date but 'soon'.

Mentioned at 17:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SD53VC3Zqo&t=1056s
That's good news. Is this for all markets and all classes of service and fare basis? Not restricted to Nordic markets?
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:43 pm

All markets, sounds like the only restriction is it must be AF/KL connecting to AF/KL. Unclear if codeshares are included.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Solevita
All markets, sounds like the only restriction is it must be AF/KL connecting to AF/KL. Unclear if codeshares are included.
I watched the relevant few minutes of the youtube video, and the guy mentioned "redemption program", so I think this free stopover enhancement at CDG/AMS only applies to redemption tickets but not revenue tickets. Can anyone confirm if that's true? (Hope not.)

Last edited by sfvoyage; Oct 24, 2022 at 8:09 pm
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I watched the relevant few minutes of the youtube video, and the guy mentioned "redemption program", so I think this free stopover enhancement at CDG/AMS only applies to redemption tickets but not revenue tickets. Can anyone confirm if that's true? (Hope not.)
Good point, it was indeed during the FB program segment hmmm.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:03 am

Very interesting watch!

One point I will be looking for is if the stopover is both valid for OW and RT.

Its a big enhancement for Gold's that they will be able to choose all seats in economy for free, with in a 72 hours window of check-in (more in line with DL).
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates folks. I haven’t watched the video yet but will have a look tonight.

Anyhow, I booked my flights, in business (Class Z). The overall trip is flexible, meaning I can cancel or change anytime and free as long as there’s no increase for the new flight. So I called yesterday and asked to be moved to the following day’s flight out of CDG on the return segment (shows the same price if I price it individually), but they still wanted around $800 Cdn for the change. Too bad. My layover is already ~19 hrs, (arriving from Tokyo at 19:20 and my next flight to Toronto is at 14:05 the next day.) so I was trying to extend it for a second night

I’ll monitor in case the rules change.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
The overall trip is flexible, meaning I can cancel or change anytime and free as long as theres no increase for the new flight. So I called yesterday and asked to be moved to the following days flight out of CDG on the return segment (shows the same price if I price it individually), but they still wanted around $800 Cdn for the change. Too bad. My layover is already ~19 hrs, (arriving from Tokyo at 19:20 and my next flight to Toronto is at 14:05 the next day.) so I was trying to extend it for a second night
Of course there's a fare difference; instead of booking TYO-YYZ,departing on Day X, you are changing your ticket to TYO-CDG on Day X, adding a stopover of >24hrs, followed by CDG-YYZ on Day X+2.

Breaking your journey in this way means you have to use different fares - you are no longer travelling direct (though not non-stop; that's an impossibility on AF, but any layover of less than 24 is "ignored" in this context) on a TYO-YYZ ticket (which has its own special TYO-YYZ fare) which was available for your original ticket, but you are now explicitly asking for two different journeys; TYO-CDG and CDG-YYZ, each having their own (different, and higher) fare.

In your original ticket, the night in Paris was an unavoidable outcome; you may actually really want this, and have chosen AF specifically to be able to see Paris, but as far as AF is concerned, you are only interested in getting from TYO to YYZ and you are travelling from one to the other in the shortest possible time, and most direct way, that AF can provide. All that changes when you "tell them" that you actually want to spend extra time in Paris, by deliberating building in a second (otherwise completely unnecessary) night in Paris. You are no longer a traveller only interested in getting to Toronto (and who was offered an effective discount due to the inconvenience of a forced overnight stay in Paris en-route, when you could have booked a direct option with another airline), you are now a traveller who wants to see two destinations - Paris AND Toronto - and can be charged more accordingly.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 27, 2022 at 11:04 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.