Delayed AF baggage on final leg back home

Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Delayed AF baggage on final leg back home

Hi all,
I recently flew from a holiday in France to the UK. On this return journey, my baggage has unfortunately been delayed in CDG (72 hours and counting..) I am starting to run out of necessities (most of my summer-appropriate clothes, toiletries etc were in my luggage) and am going to need to buy some more. I am aware of the Montreal Convention for delayed baggage however I was wondering whether I may run into difficulties with regards to any claims seeing as the delay has occurred on the last leg of the journey (i.e. I am now home)?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Normally, on your final leg back home you are not eligible for necessities allowance with the airline. Maybe with your insurance.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by AFTraveller
Hi all,
I recently flew from a holiday in France to the UK. On this return journey, my baggage has unfortunately been delayed in CDG (72 hours and counting..) I am starting to run out of necessities (most of my summer-appropriate clothes, toiletries etc were in my luggage) and am going to need to buy some more. I am aware of the Montreal Convention for delayed baggage however I was wondering whether I may run into difficulties with regards to any claims seeing as the delay has occurred on the last leg of the journey (i.e. I am now home)?
There are tons of bags delayed in all European airports.
Airlines have a policy to not reimburse essentials for a trip back home.
It seems that they are quite inflexible unless you can prove that it is really crucial, even if you recover your bag in the coming days.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Do the airline companies have a leg to stand on, legally speaking though? I've had a good read of the convention and it makes no mention anywhere of any 'final leg' exclusion criteria.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Do the airline companies have a leg to stand on, legally speaking though? I've had a good read of the convention and it makes no mention anywhere of any 'final leg' exclusion criteria.
I guess the rationale is that, when you are away from home and your bag is missing or delayed, you clearly and obviously do not have access to any of your own personal items (even though, for some people, this might mean that they are visiting a second home where they have such items available anyway), and therefore the airline has no choice but to re-imburse you for essentials.

When you are at home, it is a clearly different situation. The assumption is that you have access to "replacement" items that can tide you over, or that you can just "bring forward" your regular purchase of the necessary toiletries into your next regular shopping trip/supermarket run.

Even if you could somehow prove that you brought all your "appropriate" clothing and toiletries with you on vacation, such that you had no such items at home upon arrival and necessitating the immediate purchase of essentials, I can't really see any airline paying out for those purchases. Your travel insurance may be more forgiving in such circumstances, though....

Has your bag shown up?
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by olivedel
Normally, on your final leg back home you are not eligible for necessities allowance with the airline. Maybe with your insurance.
Originally Posted by brunos
There are tons of bags delayed in all European airports.
Airlines have a policy to not reimburse essentials for a trip back home.
It seems that they are quite inflexible unless you can prove that it is really crucial, even if you recover your bag in the coming days.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I guess the rationale is that, when you are away from home and your bag is missing or delayed, you clearly and obviously do not have access to any of your own personal items (even though, for some people, this might mean that they are visiting a second home where they have such items available anyway), and therefore the airline has no choice but to re-imburse you for essentials.

When you are at home, it is a clearly different situation. The assumption is that you have access to "replacement" items that can tide you over, or that you can just "bring forward" your regular purchase of the necessary toiletries into your next regular shopping trip/supermarket run.

Even if you could somehow prove that you brought all your "appropriate" clothing and toiletries with you on vacation, such that you had no such items at home upon arrival and necessitating the immediate purchase of essentials, I can't really see any airline paying out for those purchases. Your travel insurance may be more forgiving in such circumstances, though....

Has your bag shown up?
And does anyone know what happens in the following situation :
- ticket 1 (flight 1) on airline 1 to return to your home airport
- ticket 2 (flight 2) on airline 2 from your home airport to another destination, a few hours after arrival of flight 1

Basically it is a "connection" on separate tickets. If Airline 1 fails to deliver your bag at arrival of flight 1, you will need to buy essentials arriving at final destination. Can airline 1 deny reimbursement of essentials items bought at final destination ?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Basically it is a "connection" on separate tickets. If Airline 1 fails to deliver your bag at arrival of flight 1, you will need to buy essentials arriving at final destination. Can airline 1 deny reimbursement of essentials items bought at final destination ?
Given that the passenger in this case bought the travel on separate tickets, then Airline 1 is off the hook (at least as I understand it). They got the passenger home, and will deliver their bag at a later moment when they find it. As far as they are concerned, their contract with the passenger is complete (with the small matter of the delayed baggage left hanging over them). Further travel on separate tickets (even if on the same airline) is of no consequence at all to Airline 1 and doesn't change matters.

It's always a risk booking travel on separate tickets (albeit that, in this case, you may have been home for several days/weeks, and you needed some essential {work?} item/tools for the subsequent trip which Airline 1 lost). However, even here I think you would have to rely on your (travel) insurance.

Never make the mistake of relying on the airlines to (fully/quickly) make good your loss. That's why there is travel insurance - you really should have a policy that is appropriate for the type and frequency of travel you undertake.
FabCW likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 25, 2022 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Its normally possible to ask an airline to deliver missing bags anywhere, so if you purchased A-B with airline 1 and a separate B-C with airline 2, in your missing luggage report you can either ask that the luggage be delivered to you in C or somewhere else when you return.

The necessities are a bit trickier though because your entitlement is normally based on how long you are left without your bags and I dont think you can complain to airline 1 that it takes them longer to deliver your bags to a different city than where they flew you so Id expect them to deny those purchases unless they genuinely couldnt trace your bag for several days themselves.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just a tip for the ones like me who have their luggage "lost" in CDG.
If you see a message on worldtracer asking to fill the baggage claim for the contents, please fill it asap. Two Ultimate TAs told me it wasn't necessary and yesterday I received an email from lekube asking me to do it asap because they couldn't find my luggage (they have probably removed the old baggage tag). I almost trashed the email because it looked like phishing.
My luggage is almost 1 week lost, and I have a flight to the US on Saturday.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Goldorak
And does anyone know what happens in the following situation :
- ticket 1 (flight 1) on airline 1 to return to your home airport
- ticket 2 (flight 2) on airline 2 from your home airport to another destination, a few hours after arrival of flight 1

If the ticket was not to a place of habitual residence, you have a claim check, and filed an irregular baggage handling report for a bag that the airline failed to deliver in the regular manner at the destination on the first ticket, then the airline who checked in the bag should be reimbursing for essential item costs without making a big fuss about address details discernible on a submitted receipt.

When the claim check is for getting back to the place of habitual residence, if they realize it’s your place of habitual residence, then they may be more likely to make a fuss about covering expenses. But if the items in the mishandled checked in luggage are necessities, whether needed at home or for a continuing journey, then they should pay for the expenses incurred even when the bag was only tagged for a return to the place of habitual residence. Assuming the items repurchased are things needed for the trip destination on the second ticket, they should be covered up to the limits required otherwise. If the airlines want to be extra cheap, maybe they could discount their idea of future use value out of the items for which reimbursement is sought, but then the argument can go back like this: “I don’t need two sets of ski boots/swimsuits/sunglasses, so reimburse me the costs and I’ll send you in the items since I have sub-zero value for future use of the items purchased only because of the mishandling of the baggage.”

The major airlines generally forward the traced (mishandled) bags to whichever place gets told to them that seems reasonable for the person taking the claim reports and updates for delivery; and it need not be to the city or even country of habitual residence for the person with the baggage claim check. The only real pushback I’ve had is when I have made it sort of obvious that the bag is asked to go to a foreign country where the traveler may not be at the time and is unsure of their future travel schedule.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 26, 2022 at 3:01 pm
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:57 am

What did you find out AFTraveller? Did they have a leg to stand on? My husband's work shoes were in the luggage and we don't have a spare at home with work coming up in two days. I also don't have some spare necessities at home to be presentable at work. I don't see any details restricting final leg either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.