Air France "Open Jaw" Ticket Question

Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Life Diamond; Delta Platinum and Million Miler
Air France "Open Jaw" Ticket Question

My wife and I will be flying roundtrip on Air France Business Class in August from Houston to Prague, Prague to Houston.
We plan to travel one way from Prague to Paris during the middle of this trip.
My plan is to "skip" the return Prague to Paris flight on the return and simply board the Paris to Houston plane
In other words, since we will already be in Paris, I see no reason to return to Prague the night prior to simply use the Prague to Paris portion of the ticket.
I have done this in the past with Delta.
Any issues that anyone is aware of that I should look out for?
Thank you!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This won't work. You need to use the coupons in the right order. If you don't fly PRG-CDG, the connecting CDG-IAH will be automatically cancelled. In such an itinerary, the only segment you can drop without too much problems is the last one (if you don't do it too often).
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tdncz
Any issues that anyone is aware of that I should look out for?
Yes; if you skip your PRG-CDG flight, your CDG-IAH flight will be cancelled. You would have to buy a new one-way ticket from CDG-IAH at the last-minute walk-up fare, and probably would retain little (if any) value from your abandoned ticket to offset against this new high fare.

If you want to fly an open-jaw routing, you must buy an open-jaw ticket. You cannot just skip sectors.

Either pay to change the ticket, or ensure that you return to PRG to commence your return journey.

EDIT: from the fare rules for the cheapest available AF ticket (i.e. via CDG) on IAH-PRG-IAH for August:

You therefore may get away with your strategy by paying an additional €1500 per person to travel on your "abandoned" ticket, rather than having to pay the walk-up fare for a new one-way ticket on CDG-IAH. To put this into context, the cheapest one-way fare currently offered by AF to travel from CDG to IAH tomorrow is €3,332 in Economy on the direct AF service, and €7,425 in Business (on connecting itineraries; no J seats left on the direct AF service). However, it could take a lot of queueing up, and discussion, at a ticket desk at CDG to get your ticket unlocked, so I would advise you to get there very, very early.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 6, 2022 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
I’m wondering how OP allegedly got away with this on delta short of irrops or other one-off situations. It’s pretty standard for every airline to cancel unflown legs after a No-show. Please don’t try to do this on klm though, they seem to be especially militant about this. See my thread in the klm forum - it took me many calls and 7-8 hours when KLM canceled my middle flight! The lounge agent has the nerve to question me for not taking the one day earlier flight they offered me, as if I should change all my vacation plans for them… ugh. The hubris of these airlines now that volumes are up again…
newflyer27 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by superbobx2
I’m wondering how OP allegedly got away with this on delta short of irrops or other one-off situations. It’s pretty standard for every airline to cancel unflown legs after a No-show. Please don’t try to do this on klm though, they seem to be especially militant about this. See my thread in the klm forum - it took me many calls and 7-8 hours when KLM canceled my middle flight! The lounge agent has the nerve to question me for not taking the one day earlier flight they offered me, as if I should change all my vacation plans for them… ugh. The hubris of these airlines now that volumes are up again…
the hubris of them asking to do what you paid for?
physicsdude, Adam1222 and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
the hubris of them asking to do what you paid for?
uh?
did superbobx2 pay for travelling one day in advance to a broken connection?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Have you tried to pre-pone the PRG-CDG to make it your ticket to go to Paris? Creating a stopover may be your way out of that situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.