Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duo, front section, CDG lounge L, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Duo, front section, CDG lounge L, etc

These will seem like basic questions, but I normally do not have status, I just surprisingly reached Gold Medallion in Skymiles in 2019, and due to the pandemic my status has been extended. So, I've certainly taken AF and transited through CDG before, but don't have sharp memories of it.

1) Is there any downside to Duo seats? (Boeing 777-300, JFK-CDG). I saw some blogs mentioning some seats don't recline, are in overly busy sections near the galley and toilet, that carts can block the space, even that sometimes the seats are blocked for crew (but I don't know if that means you can reserve the seat and lose it last-minute). Even saw a mention of the seatback entertainment being older in Duos, which is odd? Anyway, one of my flight shows available Duos that are slightly further from the toilet with supposedly normal recline. Was kind of hoping that other single fliers wouldn't pay for this, possibly leaving the next seat empty! But I don't know if Duo is actually bad, or if people simply mean it's not worth extra (but I don't have to pay).

2) Is the middle seat in Front Section rows actually blocked? Seatguru makes it look like this section is domestic business, but on AF's site the middle seat seems selectable (Airbus A320-200, CDG-TBS). Just curious.

3) If the CDG Terminal 2E lounge in L is significantly better, but I'm flying out of M, is it difficult to move between them? The terminal maps I've seen aren't clear to me. My departure flight has a 4+ hour layover so that should be fine, but the return flight has less than 3 hours layover. Or is it actually not worth the trouble, best to stick with the lounge in my actual departure hall?

Unrelated to status, does anyone know why JFK-CDG AF007 was delayed 3 hours two nights in a row last week?? I saw this on Flight Aware, can't find anything on Google. Even with my layover that would be cutting it extremely close, and would be a massive problem if I miss the connection. I suppose there's nothing I can do with this info, just curious what's happening.

Last edited by skewedstyle; Jun 27, 2022 at 4:53 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: FB
1) I haven't had any problem with a duo seat. Expect the other seat to be occupied. But I aim to sleep on a window, and that's one less to climb over.

2) Those front middle seats in economy can often be "shadows". I (FB Plat) often have one next to me. If the flight is full, these are generally the last seats to go. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

3) Lounge K is the least pleasant of the 2E lounges, but it's generally not possible to travel to a Hall without a boarding pass for a flight from that Hall. You'd have to go through passport control and security each time you change halls. Don't bother.

4) JFK is too small and the slightest perturbation can lead to inordinate delays. Thunderstorm? Delay in a conga line to take off and to taxi to gate. Rear-ended by an Italian A330? Cancellation. Inbound flight lands with one less soul on board? That counts as a death in public, and an investigation will be necessary before the plane can be released. Result: delay returning the aircraft to service. RIP and my sincerest condolences.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

1) Ah yeah that's also appealing. I usually opt for aisle so I don't have to climb over anyone, but it would also be nice to sleep on the window. But otherwise they feel like normal seats? Was surprised that a cursory search brought up negative comments.

2) Thanks!

3) Ahhh ok. I wasn't really sure how the halls were separated within the terminal, as in some airports the gate letters are just far apart but not with separate security. Thanks for explaining, it was hard to tell just how good the new lounge is anyway considering by my usually status-less perspective any lounge is fine.

4) Nutty! For some reason with all the stuff that's happened since covid, total cancellations make sense to me but delays seem unrelated (like if there was a labor shortage, surely they aren't waiting for crew to show up rather than canceling?). I've had unexpectedly long delays for rain before, but I'm certain they didn't last 3 hours. The only time I've experienced that (for much longer) was actually AF at CDG but that was obvious weather (the 2010 blizzards).

Inbound flight lands with one less soul on board? That counts as a death in public, and an investigation will be necessary before the plane can be released.
Is that one real??? I tried Googling "flight lands at jfk missing one passenger" but nothing.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: FB
As long as you're talking duo economy seats. The Premium Economy shells are the worst in the business (but they're being replaced). But I dunno, usually if I'm headed west to east long haul, I'm working on a strategy to get the business class seats and sleep.
When you put 300 people in a metal tube for half a day, you're basically passing 5 human months. Multiply that by number of flights, and someone passing on board isn't routine, but it's not unusual enough to make the news.
and that means that serious medical issues pop up even more often. In 2019, on a LHR-CDG flight, the flight crew was cleared to line up and wait. They rang the chime and seated the FAs. Immediately thereafter, someone screams "She's not breathing!" FAs cannot move until released on climb-out, and so repeated instructions for everyone to be seated. That was a very long takeoff roll, followed by a short flight to CDG. She was well enough to be deplaned by paramedics after everyone else.
skewedstyle likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by skewedstyle
2) Is the middle seat in Front Section rows actually blocked? Seatguru makes it look like this section is domestic business, but on AF's site the middle seat seems selectable (Airbus A320-200, CDG-TBS). Just curious.
Yes the middles are blocked, with a caveat - that being, the business class section size is variable an can be anywhere between 2 and 20 rows. Seatguru will have picked an arbitrary "typical" size.

So for example, it can be that Seatguru says row 5 has a blocked middle and is business, but in your flight, 5B is selectable, because business class only extends to rows 1-3.
BubbaX and skewedstyle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.