Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on extending CDG layover

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Advice on extending CDG layover

We are returning MLE>CDG>IAH in February 2023 on AF. Currently we have an overnight layover in CDG and the wife is curious about whether we can switch the CDG>IAH flight to one day later to explore Paris for a day. If it makes a difference we are in J. My question is whether in the group’s experience is this realistically possible, and if there are any suggestions on a recommended contact method? Thanks in advance! 🙏
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: FB Gold
Well, if it was a simple roundtrip ticket, no. Because any longer, you'd be looking at a multi stop itinéraire. AF/KLM don't offer a free stopover like some airlines (I'm thinking TAP) do.

You can call AF to change, but this will result in a reprice.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by mlin32
(...) You can call AF to change, but this will may result in a reprice.
Crossing out and bolding is mine
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if it was a simple roundtrip ticket, no. Because any longer, you'd be looking at a multi stop itinéraire. AF/KLM don't offer a free stopover like some airlines (I'm thinking TAP) do.

You can call AF to change, but this will result in a reprice.
This is why I fly UA/LH when I need a stopover.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Crossing out and bolding is mine
We don't know the conditions on this ticket, but I believe that mlin32 is right.
If it is part of a return ticket IAH-MLE-IAH, pushing the CDG-IAH beyond 24h will result in reprice.
Actually any date change will result in reprice and possible change fee.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some fares do allow for a free stopover but they tend to be higher. If the OP booked a plain vanilla discount business class fare, there is a high likelihood that the fare does not allow for stopovers and that, therefore, adding a stopover will require a change of fare.
In any event, the OP would need to call AF to know what the cost would be and take it from there.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
Some fares do allow for a free stopover but they tend to be higher. If the OP booked a plain vanilla discount business class fare, there is a high likelihood that the fare does not allow for stopovers and that, therefore, adding a stopover will require a change of fare.
In any event, the OP would need to call AF to know what the cost would be and take it from there.
Even if a ticket allows a stopover, there will be repricing if you change the date. Of course, it depends on the fare rule and whether this is done before the first flight or whether the ticket has already been partly used. It could be that there is no fare difference, just a change fee. It could be that the fare bucket used is not available anymore, etc. I agree that the OP should call AF to get info on what the cost would be.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Wanted to follow up and give resolution. Called AF and extending for 1 day on the return would result in an approx $5k fare difference change per ticket so despite the attractiveness of that offer I ended up declining. 😂
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.