AF & DL launch “Shuttle” service between Paris and New York-JFK

Old Jun 28, 22, 1:47 pm
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 19,392
Originally Posted by pascalgr View Post
Is the Fast lane for security open for Platinum member flying in Y ?
Normally yes, but one month ago I faced a trainee priority lane dragon that refused in a very rude way. In any case, priority lanes at security are more or less a joke in US airports as you are just bypassing the 1st part of the queue before the TSA officer checking ID and BP. But it can save you some minutes for sure.
Otherwise to answer your other question, I would recommend to arrive 3hrs before if you want no stress and have little time in the lounge.
af fp, pascalgr and Fluhalp like this.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 1:47 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Posts: 5,721
Originally Posted by af fp View Post
Thanks all, we left home earlier on your advice and it helped.
So our experience was overall pretty bad indeed, and I can see it could have been even worse.
- nasty traffic to JFK, no choice for us with heavy bulky luggage.
- over twenty minutes wait for SkyPriority check-in. The agent tried to not connect our luggage (flying JFK-ORY-Corsica), saying it is impossible in Orly… I had him bring the supervisor and it was solved. He did not even say anything, I had to check the luggage tags he printed and then he came up with that lame excuse.
- pretty quick security check, but only because we have TSA Pre and were lucky. Hell for others.
- indifferent staff in the lounge, very poor shape (see picture of the seats, a complete shame in fact), food offering atrocious, it could have been an American Airlines lounge, that bad…
- still no champagne before takeoff, no aperitif before meal, minimal service by the staff (hot dish served without wine nor water refill, service generally rushed).
- good foie gras, beef and crépinette, on time arrival.
- one immigration officer, yes one, and all Parafe gates closed, the other officers trickled in indifferently over 10 minutes while their colleague was still processing the first two passengers.
- connection security gate closed, we had to pass customs and re-enter through the regular boarding circuit.

Overall, a not very pleasant experience, once again. The staff do not care and are giving up.

Thank you for your report. Sounds like a dismal experience.
Buster CT1K is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 2:12 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Diamond
Posts: 190
I will fly a sunday night hoping that as it is a very late flight , there will be some less people in JFK T1 than around the 6-9 pm departure bank. I will plan to leave Manhattan at 7.30 pm so I should be fine.
Thanks everyone for your contribution
pascalgr is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 6:57 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,106
Since you’re on the 11:50 pm flight, you’ll have a lot of time to spare, arguably too much and it’s not a great terminal/lounge to hang out at. And yes, T1 is a lot less crazy at that time than in the afternoon/early evening but still plenty busy.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 8:47 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,262
Only had hand luggage. From entering the terminal to lounge about 20 minutes. A combination of being smart in where to stand in line and of sheer luck.

TSAPre line was almost empty, only one person in front of me. The TSA agent called many people in the normal line forward before calling us Pre-people out of the line. Smart: figured out quickly which line was the shortest and just went with a lot of self-confidence, ignoring where the TSA agent had told me to go. Luck: people in front of me knew what they were doing, no slowed down process at X-ray machines from people unpacking their bags, having water bottles in their backpack, etc.

Lounge: dragon escorted me from the welcome desk to one of the reserved ULTI tables on the first floor, but the waiters there first ignored me and then refused to serve me, insisting that I had a coaster from the reception desk. Went down again, the receptionist told me that I didn't need one (but still gave it to me), went up again...

T1 is not glorious, it's crowded inside the terminal where people are and outside where planes are. Lounges not great, but good enough. The problem is security: not enough capacity, no proper TSA Pre, all lines mixing up, no escorting from AF except for P passengers. I was on the ORY flight, so no P class. I sometimes, when all lines are very busy, I buy a ticket on LH/LX/OS just for them to escort me through the special security room, and then cancel the ticket again.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:43 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: NYC
Programs: UA PFL
Posts: 20
Dear Pascalgr,

I would suggest, if you really want feedback from the inside, you avoid using derogatory terms like ‘lounge dragon’.
Fluhalp is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:30 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,106
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Only had hand luggage. From entering the terminal to lounge about 20 minutes. A combination of being smart in where to stand in line and of sheer luck.

TSAPre line was almost empty, only one person in front of me. The TSA agent called many people in the normal line forward before calling us Pre-people out of the line. Smart: figured out quickly which line was the shortest and just went with a lot of self-confidence, ignoring where the TSA agent had told me to go. Luck: people in front of me knew what they were doing, no slowed down process at X-ray machines from people unpacking their bags, having water bottles in their backpack, etc.

Lounge: dragon escorted me from the welcome desk to one of the reserved ULTI tables on the first floor, but the waiters there first ignored me and then refused to serve me, insisting that I had a coaster from the reception desk. Went down again, the receptionist told me that I didn't need one (but still gave it to me), went up again...

T1 is not glorious, it's crowded inside the terminal where people are and outside where planes are. Lounges not great, but good enough. The problem is security: not enough capacity, no proper TSA Pre, all lines mixing up, no escorting from AF except for P passengers. I was on the ORY flight, so no P class. I sometimes, when all lines are very busy, I buy a ticket on LH/LX/OS just for them to escort me through the special security room, and then cancel the ticket again.
Good summary of the mess that T1 usually is.

Re your last sentence -- wow. You can also pay $35 for that service with the company that runs that room.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:29 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: NYC
Programs: UA PFL
Posts: 20
Referring to lounge staff as Dragons always negates to me anything else a poster may say. For all of the high fliers I would be very curious to hear your opinions if you slipped into the “dragons” shoes for one hour.
San Gottardo likes this.
Fluhalp is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:53 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PAR, TYO, SEL, SIN, SYD
Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Gold
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by Fluhalp View Post
Referring to lounge staff as Dragons always negates to me anything else a poster may say. For all of the high fliers I would be very curious to hear your opinions if you slipped into the “dragons” shoes for one hour.
I always assumed the term dragon stood for people guarding the entrance to the den, protecting the treasure (lounge) from unwanted guests. Now we can debate all day about the value of said « treasure » and whilst I have had my fair share of decidedly rude lounge staff I do sympathize a bit with all the « Do you know who I am » and the multitude of frequent flyer programs and lounge access passes and cards.
Understanding everything can’t be easy, I’ve seen some lounges just have a folder with prints of each card, no print, no access and that’s really not their fault.
San Gottardo and Fluhalp like this.
Digicola is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 4:45 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 4,221
Originally Posted by Fluhalp View Post
Referring to lounge staff as Dragons always negates to me anything else a poster may say. For all of the high fliers I would be very curious to hear your opinions if you slipped into the “dragons” shoes for one hour.
I've been a dragon. I assure you I've worn those shoes for way more than one hour.
physicsdude likes this.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:45 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,262
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
Good summary of the mess that T1 usually is.

Re your last sentence -- wow. You can also pay $35 for that service with the company that runs that room.
Really? How and where can I do that? Happily pay that. Heck, I have bought an « Airport Pass » for Blade to save time, so 35 USD is definitely something I’d be happy to part with save time. Buying a cancelling a ticket is even less expensive, but much more of a hassle, and in fact I do believe that AF should actually offer an escort service to its ULTI pax.

Originally Posted by Fluhalp View Post
Referring to lounge staff as Dragons always negates to me anything else a poster may say. For all of the high fliers I would be very curious to hear your opinions if you slipped into the “dragons” shoes for one hour.
Just like the other poster I do not use the term « dragon » in a derogatory way. It’s just a term which is quicker to type than « premium and frequent flyer lounge receptionist » 🤣 Seriously, I hope you have noticed that I actually said something positive about my encounter with the - sorry - dragon at the AF lounge the other day, who offered to escort me to the upper level and make sure that I have a nice table in the dining area. Something I didn’t need, didn’t request, but truly appreciated. In fact, all dragons I have met over the past weeks in any of the AF lounges (CDG 2F, 2E-K, 2E-L, ORY Schengen and non-Schengen, JFK), were a model of courtesy, class and good manners (that is where AF beats most other airlines). Contract lounges, even those labelled and designed AF, are a different story, but AF - usually great.However, if you would like to pass on feedback with your colleagues in the JFK lounge area, I might share a perspective on the catering staff - but as you said, putting myself in their shoes and given how unsubstantial the criticism is I do not think it justifies being posted here.

PS: great username. Is that the Fluhalp I think about (a common name for high altitude pastures in the Alps,true. But there is one that is quite well known, in the Swiss Alps, just below the Rothorn, with a view on the Matterhorn/Mont Cervin)?
Fluhalp likes this.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 7:23 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,106
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Really? How and where can I do that? Happily pay that. Heck, I have bought an « Airport Pass » for Blade to save time, so 35 USD is definitely something I’d be happy to part with save time. Buying a cancelling a ticket is even less expensive, but much more of a hassle, and in fact I do believe that AF should actually offer an escort service to its ULTI pax.
Yes. Here is the link. https://flyvipone.com
If you click “reserve” it opens another page and shows you the options, including the $35 one. I have not bought it separately since LH/LX/AF offer it in F but seems like a no-brainer compared to buying and cancelling a ticket.
physicsdude likes this.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 7:58 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Ex-skywards Platnium
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
Yes. Here is the link. https://flyvipone.com
If you click “reserve” it opens another page and shows you the options, including the $35 one. I have not bought it separately since LH/LX/AF offer it in F but seems like a no-brainer compared to buying and cancelling a ticket.
AF in F basically uses this at JFK as F pax are escorted through the VIP one "zone," skip the queue, and it takes at most 10 minutes.

I've used it for a midday flight to ICN recently as traffic made me get to the airport at 12:50 pm when my flight was at 1:40 pm. The queues aren't usually that long that time of day for JFK T1, but I'm pretty sure they only opened one lane for security and caused the backlog. Also VIP one can be used only between 12pm-8pm.
Fluhalp likes this.
physicsdude is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 10:05 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: NYC
Programs: UA PFL
Posts: 20
I just recently changed my account name due to all the negative airline news and notification from management about being careful on posting on social media. Currently can't quote posts on FT until I reach 10 posts. Or maybe posts with attachments? In any case work has been super tough this summer so apologies San Gottardo if I was a grump. And yes due to my benefits I get to Zermatt for a week (or two) of skiing every year. Nothing like the restaurant reached via the Rothorn on a sunny spring day
San Gottardo and Goldorak like this.
Fluhalp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread