Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AF Accept Abbott BinaxNOW Test Results?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Does AF Accept Abbott BinaxNOW Test Results?

Apologies in advance if this has been asked/answered, I’ve been unable to find similar references. Will AF accept the At-home proctored results? I understand some airlines prefer certain tests. We’re flying home later this month CDG-LAX and it appears likely we will still need the test to return. Thank you in advance.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I am 99% sure AirFrance won't accept such a test as France has never acknowledged self tests.
Better to just go to any pharmacy to get an Antigen test with the appropriate negative result sheet.
Pharmacies usually send the result as a PDF document by email. It should cost ~25€
Old May 7, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
Apologies in advance if this has been asked/answered, I’ve been unable to find similar references. Will AF accept the At-home proctored results? I understand some airlines prefer certain tests. We’re flying home later this month CDG-LAX and it appears likely we will still need the test to return. Thank you in advance.
Yes Air France accepts BinaxNow test results. I flew Air France yesterday from GVA-CDG-LAX and the AF agent in GVA accepted my BinaxNow results and letter (with Miami address) without question.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they do. It’s not about what Is acceptable in France when flying to the US.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Plus the ease and speed of getting a PDF from your local pharmacy for 25€ may be a good solution for many so it is worth pointing out. It's a lot easier in France compared to many places.
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Plus the ease and speed of getting a PDF from your local pharmacy for 25€ may be a good solution for many so it is worth pointing out. It's a lot easier in France compared to many places.
That’s been my strategy in lieu of using my Binax tests. Just got to plan ahead testing on Sunday for a Monday departure.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
That’s been my strategy in lieu of using my Binax tests. Just got to plan ahead testing on Sunday for a Monday departure.
Curious as to why you would not just use BinaxNOW and Navica app? Other than packing the BinaxNOW box with you, there is no easier way to take the requisite US test. Roll out of bed at your hotel and use the app the day before or day of your departing flight. Connecting to live person verifying your kit and taking the test takes 2 minutes. 15 minutes later, click Continue and 2 minutes later you have your result pdf in your email. Send email to front desk who will print out the test result pdf.
DCAhome likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SFO777
Curious as to why you would not just use BinaxNOW and Navica app? Other than packing the BinaxNOW box with you, there is no easier way to take the requisite US test. Roll out of bed at your hotel and use the app the day before or day of your departing flight. Connecting to live person verifying your kit and taking the test takes 2 minutes. 15 minutes later, click Continue and 2 minutes later you have your result pdf in your email. Send email to front desk who will print out the test result pdf.
There's also the planning and cost to getting the test kits. Instead you can roll into pretty much any pharmacy - and France has a lot of them - hand over 20€ - 25€ - and an email address. Many places will print out the PDF for you. So less pre-work, same cost, no booking required, less IT and you can end up with a hardcopy.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's also the planning and cost to getting the test kits. Instead you can roll into pretty much any pharmacy - and France has a lot of them - hand over 20€ - 25€ - and an email address. Many places will print out the PDF for you. So less pre-work, same cost, no booking required, less IT and you can end up with a hardcopy.
That's one perspective. My pre-work was taking a kit off a shelf at home and packing it in my bag. You don't need to book anything for Navica/Binax, just open the app. Perhaps the pharmacy test route makes sense in France where indeed pharmacies are everywhere, but Navica/Binax is much easier for my travels to less-pharmacy friendly places... hotels in Joburg or Cairo, the Emirates Lounge at DXB.
DCAhome likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Apologies for being wrong in my first post here.
I'll fact check better next time
Old May 8, 2022, 8:31 am

I have done both the pharmacy test and BinaxNow/Navica test for return to US from France. Yes, it's very easy to test at a Paris pharmacy. However, I much prefer the self-test for the ease mentioned in #9. And if the test is done very early in the day and the result is unfortunately positive, there's more time to make contingency plans without having to leave your accommodation.

We were in an apartment without a printer and a screenshot of the test was readily accepted by Air France.
Old May 8, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
I want to save them for locations where testing isn’t as convenient as Paris. Although I do keep one in my apartment there just in case. Also at @ 25€ each, local tests are cheaper.
Old May 8, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by JMontpelier
I have done both the pharmacy test and BinaxNow/Navica test for return to US from France. Yes, it's very easy to test at a Paris pharmacy. However, I much prefer the self-test for the ease mentioned in #9. And if the test is done very early in the day and the result is unfortunately positive, there's more time to make contingency plans without having to leave your accommodation.

We were in an apartment without a printer and a screenshot of the test was readily accepted by Air France.
Might be ot, would un-proctored BinaxNow/Navica test results accepted by other airlines such as UA?
Old May 8, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Might be ot, would un-proctored BinaxNow/Navica test results accepted by other airlines such as UA?
No.

The requirements are set by the US, not the airlines.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:02 pm

I used the eMed Abbott BinaxNow proctored self-test kit last month for AF CDG-SFO and can confirm that it was fast and easy. For us, we couldn't buy just 2 kits but had to buy a 3-pack for USD99.99, so we have one kit remaining for future use. But we were reimbursed the full $99.99 by our medical insurance, which I believe should apply to most if not all Americans. (OTOH, if I had paid 25 euros at a Paris pharmacy for the test, I don't know if my insurance would reimburse that. Does anyone with American health insurance - not travel insurance - know?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.