The AF short and medium-haul business class catering photo thread

Old Jan 27, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by BA850
Given that the service “standard” on European flights is cold meals, I would imagine it depends entirely on whether the Flight Attendants choose to use it.

For the avoidance of any doubt; this is the oven. Apologies for the poor quality - had to zoom in and enhance a wider cabin photograph - but you can make out the green light, blue display screen and (just about) the oven handle.

As to your other point - no, the cabins rarely stretch to the overwing exits as BA’s CE sometimes does (although that in itself might be a consequence of the product’s lack of competitiveness), so perhaps the real reason for the continued cold offerings is management/union related.
I complained again and got an apology from AF after showing them comparaison pictures with their competitors. They have also said that cold 1 option meals are here to stay!
BA850 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by BA850
Re: The ovens, the A220s do have them. I had warm bread served alongside the cold platter on a flight from WAW to CDG in September last year.

The Flight Attendant, however, explained that they aren’t big enough to heat a full cabin’s worth of meals (whether that means they’re only fitted with one, I’m not sure).
bla bla bla … warm dishes used to be served on 2h30+ flights .
crew has sufficient time to have 2 rounds of heating

Last edited by Bullspread; Jan 27, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bullspread
bla bla bla … warm dishes used to be served on 2h30+ flight .
crew has sufficient time to have 2 rounds of heating
which is even better. Remember flying with A3 on a 8 row business class service. By the time they got to us in row 7, the meals were almost cold.

I think this is all related to a dispute they had with the cabin crew. So AF decided to “simplify” the service so as not “overload them” with 2 rows of business class on 3 hours routes.
f0zzyNUE and BA850 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold

My Breakfast DUS-CDG this morning. Some kind of dark flour crepe with a creamy lettuce and turkey? filling. Served with cold bread or croissant. Not bad for such a short flight, but beverage options were very sad, coffee, tea, water or orange juice. (Exactly same choices as economy) On previous morning flights champagne was always offered, not on this flight.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by NLNO
On previous morning flights champagne was always offered, not on this flight.
That's strange. Did you explicitly ask for it?
2 weeks ago I had a chat about the champagne situation for short-haul J and the purser told me that flights departing to/from CDG always had it, whatever the distance.

Of course, the plane could run dry by the times it arrives at the outstation, in which case pax are out of luck on the way to CDG... but that's what the current policy is supposed to be.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold

Lunch CDG-OSL shrimp with some kind of curry purée and mushrooms. Cheese and quite a lovely chocolate mousse cake-like thingy. Nice and filling lunch. Very nice crew that kept my champagne topped up.
tff likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Lunch CDG-OSL shrimp with some kind of curry purée and mushrooms. Cheese and quite a lovely chocolate mousse cake-like thingy. Nice and filling lunch. Very nice crew that kept my champagne topped up.
It's not a chocolate mousse cake, it's a moelleux (or "mi-cuit" chocolate cake) But yes, it looks a bit nicer than most of the other European cold meals these days...
JOUY31, tff and SkyteamEP like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 11, 2023 at 9:28 am
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It's not a chocolate mousse cake, it's a moelleux (or "mi-cuit" chocolate cake) But yes, it looks a bit nicer than most of the other European cold meal these days...
It's not exactly a moelleux as it is significantly thicker. But it's a very good cake. It's a "grand classique" of AF J trays in medium-haul and in CDG lounges too.
JOUY31, tff, orbitmic and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:13 am

it is the best cold meal by far. All the rest are meh to unappetizing.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
It's not exactly a moelleux as it is significantly thicker. But it's a very good cake. It's a "grand classique" of AF J trays in medium-haul and in CDG lounges too.
I actually agree on both points - I always assume it is "intended" to be a moelleux but is overcooked (health and safety etc) but maybe I'm wrong (but it is certainly not a chocolate mousse cake!) and it is indeed a "classic" on AF trays (in fact not just medium haul C, I've seen it in Y long haul too!)
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by orbitmic
it is indeed a "classic" on AF trays (in fact not just medium haul C, I've seen it in Y long haul too!)
And it goes perfectly with champagne (since we can't seriously discuss catering without mentioning bubbles for more than 5 posts!)
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. BA-Gold

Yummy ! Hope I get this on my flight CDG to BCN!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maalloc
since we can't seriously discuss catering without mentioning bubbles for more than 5 posts!
Please, let us not and let us leave that obsession with champagne to the BA board...
hhdl, maalloc and ffgap like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Did AF cut down the snack from medium-haul flights? On the website it still appears (for flights over 2.5h), but now on OTP-CDG AF1889 today they only offered the meal and then disappeared for the remainder of the whole flight. Wondering if it’s a crew mistake or a service change. 🤔
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by curiousexplorer
Did AF cut down the snack from medium-haul flights? On the website it still appears (for flights over 2.5h), but now on OTP-CDG AF1889 today they only offered the meal and then disappeared for the remainder of the whole flight. Wondering if it’s a crew mistake or a service change. 🤔
it must have been a mistake. Had the snack boxes in a recent flight. But you never know. They might have cut back that too after complaints from flight attendants. You know it is really hard for them to warm up dishes and give more than one option to customers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.