The AF short and medium-haul business class catering photo thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by sscaf001
"Bringing back hot meals in J" means "renegotiating the Compo Peq agreement with unions" .....
Come on … ! When flight duration time is above 2.5-3 hours, do not explain me that they need more staff to warm a few J meals ! 🙄
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Bullspread
Come on … ! When flight duration time is above 2.5-3 hours, do not explain me that they need more staff to warm a few J meals ! 🙄
I don't think it's the number of attendants, rather the list of responsibilities/working requirements that would need to be renegotiated in the labour clause.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 3:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
AMS and ATH segments for me this weekend again. And exactly the same meals again. Well, almost - this time we were not served any bread rolls at all for the first sector (breakfast).

I'm about reaching the point to consider fully switching to other options rather than flying AF. I've got the XP's that I need for the next few years of Platinum and the cold meal on the long ATH sector is just insufficient (At least, that's how I look at that). From what I'm reading here this is part of the union agreements meaning this isn't going to change anytime soon (if ever). Why then fly AF if the product is so below competitor offers... (in my view)

As a comparison, this is an example of what Aegean serves to CDG and other international routes (Even the very short ones). Perhaps this does not have the elegance of the AF meals, however... it is hot, hearty and tasty. I'm recognising that this may also be a personal preference and/or cultural difference though.

Last edited by Xandrios; Sep 25, 2022 at 4:02 am
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:00 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
I don't think it's the number of attendants, rather the list of responsibilities/working requirements that would need to be renegotiated in the labour clause.
Wide vs narrow body seems to matter. ALG and TLV are wide bodies and have warm meals.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I don't see why. I got a hot meal on CDG-HEL on a narrowbody just before all this started.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Wide vs narrow body seems to matter. ALG and TLV are wide bodies and have warm meals.
ALG is usually narrowbody.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:55 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Concerto
I don't see why. I got a hot meal on CDG-HEL on a narrowbody just before all this started.
This was the info I got from a crew member on a TLV service (where i can confirm service is a hot meal, I will post pictures once I have access to a computer) when I mentioned to him some of the criticism posted here (and they might start to lurk, they were very interested in Flyetalk and specifically this thread).
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
If anybody from AF would read this thread, I guess the key requested changes by the majority would be:
  1. Reintroduction of hot meals for flights with a duration of over 2.5h. Alternatively, if this is not possible, at least introduction of a hot snack on medium-haul flights such as on KLM, as a bare minimum.
  2. Reintroduction of 2 meal options for flights with a duration of over 2.5h
  3. Reintroduction of coffee/tea cups instead of the plastic ones, on all flights.
  4. (Maybe) reintroduction of menus. Currently you do not even know what you are eating. Plus the menus can be an excelent marketing and communication tool, including to tell the story behind the meals (eg. of the chef or concept).
What to keep:
  1. The current cold meals are very well suited for short flights such as GVA - CDG, but it is inappropriate to offer the same meal for medium-haul.
  2. Steel cutlery - in contrast with KLM's "sustainable" cutlery which is despised by a majority of travelers. Plus steel cutlery should be more sustainable in itself rather than those which are recycled and single-use such as KLM currently has.
  3. The snack on medium-haul flights, which is good quality.
JOUY31, tff, Goldorak and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:15 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by curiousexplorer
If anybody from AF would read this thread, I guess the key requested changes by the majority would be:
  1. Reintroduction of hot meals for flights with a duration of over 2.5h. Alternatively, if this is not possible, at least introduction of a hot snack on medium-haul flights such as on KLM, as a bare minimum.
  2. Reintroduction of 2 meal options for flights with a duration of over 2.5h
  3. Reintroduction of coffee/tea cups instead of the plastic ones, on all flights.
  4. (Maybe) reintroduction of menus. Currently you do not even know what you are eating. Plus the menus can be an excelent marketing and communication tool, including to tell the story behind the meals (eg. of the chef or concept).
What to keep:
  1. The current cold meals are very well suited for short flights such as GVA - CDG, but it is inappropriate to offer the same meal for medium-haul.
  2. Steel cutlery - in contrast with KLM's "sustainable" cutlery which is despised by a majority of travelers. Plus steel cutlery should be more sustainable in itself rather than those which are recycled and single-use such as KLM currently has.
  3. The snack on medium-haul flights, which is good quality.
I would add extending the current cold meals offer to the domestic business cabin.
tff, mlin32, SteveCanary and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I would add extending the current cold meals offer to the domestic business cabin.
BA routinely serves a hot, Full English Breakfast on morning domestic flights in J, so there's certainly no good reason AF can't offer a cold plate on flights within Metropolitan France.
JOUY31, tff, SteveCanary and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:06 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

FRA-CDG evening flight

CDG-FRA morning flight. The green dish is a spinach mousse.

CDG-TLV morning menu

CDG TLV

CDG TLV

TLV CDG afternoon menu

TLV CDG

TLV CDG

TLV CDG

TLV CDG
JOUY31, Goldorak, Xandrios and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A recent post in the British Airways Club Europe catering thread indicates that hot meals will return to Band 2 flights. This would include, per my understanding, a flight from London to Nice.

On that basis, I've drafted the following comparison, based on the following assumptions:
1. Paid J
2. No status with either airline
3. Journey to Nice begins at a UK regional airport (Newcastle)
4. Hot meals return to BA Band 2 flights as reported (no firm date given in the BA thread)

British Airways:
Flight 1 - NCL-LHR (Domestic)
- Access to the Aspire Lounge (awful place; BA used to have their own lounge in NCL but closed it during Covid, negatively impacting the ground experience).
- Cold Plate (or a hot, Full English Breakfast if you're travelling on an eligible morning flight), catered by Do&Co
- Champagne: Nicolas Feuillatte Reserve Exclusive Brut

Layover - LHR
- Domestic to International connection means no need to re-clear security (note that this is a moot point for arrivals from the EU, and therefore also for the return leg, during which passengers would need to clear both security and the UK Border).
- Lounge: Galleries North or South. Both tend to be prone to overcrowding, the former more than the latter. Decent range of spirits, more Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne (although there is some suggestion that BA are moving Champagne back to an 'on-demand', rather than self-service basis in their lounges), showers available (functional, but nothing to write home about), canteen-quality hot food available, finding a seat with a power socket can be difficult.

Flight 2 - LHR-NCE
- Hot Meal, once again catered by Do&Co
- Champagne: Nicolas Feuillatte Reserve Exclusive Brut

Air France:
Flight 1 - NCL-CDG
- Access to the Aspire Lounge (again, awful)
- Cold Plate
- Champagne: Varies, but during my last flight (early September), it was Pommery Brut Royal

Layover - CDG:
- Transfer 2E - 2F means re-clearing security and going through Schengen Passport Control (for the return leg, passengers must clear Passport Control upon leaving Schengen, but not security)
- Lounge: New Air France 'Salon' in 2F (which IMHO blows BA out of the water). Pommery Brut Royal Champagne, an impressive range of pastries and cold cuts, alongside new food options to be rolled out in the coming months. Roomy showers, Clarins Spa, attended bar offering a range of cocktails from 5pm, power sockets at virtually every seat.

Flight 2 - CDG-NCE
- Pre-packaged snacks.
- Champagne: Again, it varies, but for the sake of this comparison, let's stick to Pommery Brut Royal

I'll let you draw your own conclusions, but mine are as follows:
- If your flight isn't eligible for a Full English, there isn't much to separate BA and AF on the first leg. Subjectively, the Do&Co catering aboard BA is much better quality than AF regardless of whether it's a hot or cold plate, but the Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne really has no place in a premium cabin.
- The AF ground experience blows BA out of the water, on every level.
- The contrast in service levels on the second leg is stark. On BA, you can expect a full, hot meal. On AF, you'll be handed a sorry selection of cheap snacks. There can be absolutely no excuse for the latter.
- If AF were to sort out their in-flight catering, they'd offer a better overall experience than BA. As things stand, however, it's a question of individual traveller priorities. If you place a higher value on ground experience, AF is the airline for you. If you place a higher value on hot meals, try BA.
tff and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by BA850; Sep 28, 2022 at 5:50 am
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:36 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Andy82
Saddest meal ever today, Quinoa with mozzarella and zucchini. It's actually the second time I've got it, but the first time it was on a HOP operated flight, so I thought it was just a lower standard.
Today, it was almost a 4 hr flight...

I had this on the short hop to LHR in late afternoon. The quinoa left a sour taste, so I left it mostly untouched, and the cheese was bland.
The Champagne and chocolate cake were quite nice.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I had this on the short hop to LHR in late afternoon. The quinoa left a sour taste, so I left it mostly untouched, and the cheese was bland.
The Champagne and chocolate cake were quite nice.
I don't know why there are so many dishes on AF/KL with bulgur/quinoa - and why there is not much variation across the network. It seems they just have 6 different meals that are randomly distribute.

I habe been on a business class flight from Munich to Madrid (2hr) and we got a deliviois hot meal and even had the choice between two options.

While I don't need a hot meal - I would be much happier with a selection of gourmet sandwiches as a quick snack on these European segments.
miles4CDG and Solevita like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
I don't know why there are so many dishes on AF/KL with bulgur/quinoa - and why there is not much variation across the network. It seems they just have 6 different meals that are randomly distribute.
Totally agree. This quinoa/bulgur is now everywhere due to the Greta friends and is the favorite meal (in its organic version) of the Parisians bobos of the Oberkampf district. I know : a lot of clichés here but not so far from the truth. I always found this tasteless and without interest and, unfortunately, AF kitchens seems to be invaded by the same bobos who wants to save the planet by serving quinoa in all dishes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.