Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MLE-CDG-YYZ, overnight layover, OK to do PCR at CDG?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
MLE-CDG-YYZ, overnight layover, OK to do PCR at CDG?

Going to be traveling with a friend. I am going home on MLE-CDG-SFO, they are going MLE-CDG-YYZ. We both have an overnight layover, I need an antigen test and they need a PCR to get home.

The timing with the long overnight layover (~18hrs) makes it difficult to do a PCR in Maldives within Canada's 72hr timeframe. We are going to stay at the Sheraton CDG overnight and my understanding is that AF will let us grab our bags due to the overnight connection.

In this circumstance, will AF let us fly MLE-CDG without the PCR test so my companion can do a rapid PCR at CDG in the morning prior to their flight to YYZ? I'm hoping this can basically be treated as us going MLE-CDG (no test needed) and then CDG-YYZ the next day after having entered France, but wanted to make sure it being a through-ticket doesn't cause trouble with this sort of plan.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This is a very good question. I would tend to say yes (it should work). It means that you will not be checked-In for the 2nd flight as they will need to check the test in CDG. But, if I were you, I would contact AF to confirm and ask them to annotate your PNR so you’ll not be at the mercy of a zealous and possibly clueless check-in agent in MLE.
Also, book your tests in CDG. Slots are taken quickly.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Goldorak
This is a very good question. I would tend to say yes (it should work). It means that you will not be checked-In for the 2nd flight as they will need to check the test in CDG. But, if I were you, I would contact AF to confirm and ask them to annotate your PNR so you’ll not be at the mercy of a zealous and possibly clueless check-in agent in MLE.
Also, book your tests in CDG. Slots are taken quickly.
Thanks for the advice. I already booked the rapid test for my companion, no issues with slots since we're about a month out, but definitely wanted to secure one. I'm able to just do a BinaxNOW test for myself returning to the US so that's also handled.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: Flyingblue Platinum, All Accor Platinum, M&M Senator
My 2 cents: rules can quickly change and would already book some PCR in Maldives. In the past year France has announced travel restrictions or change in travel rules 3 to 7 days before actually applying them. At some point négative PCR was also requested to transit passenger but if you leave the airport gong landside you will not be à transit passenger anymore.
Also note that in Europe PCR négative test should be performed 72h (sometimes 48h) before the journey starts meaning you could land at your final destination with a PCR older than 72h. I would check if the same wording applies to Canada and US. TRAVELDOC is the internet site used by AirFrance to keep crew and passenger updated with the rules ( also used by ground staff in Paris airport)
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I would be very careful with MLE agents - they will be generally not happy with only checking to CDG and applying only french rules etc.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by PROACTIVE
My 2 cents: rules can quickly change and would already book some PCR in Maldives. In the past year France has announced travel restrictions or change in travel rules 3 to 7 days before actually applying them. At some point négative PCR was also requested to transit passenger but if you leave the airport gong landside you will not be à transit passenger anymore.
Also note that in Europe PCR négative test should be performed 72h (sometimes 48h) before the journey starts meaning you could land at your final destination with a PCR older than 72h. I would check if the same wording applies to Canada and US. TRAVELDOC is the internet site used by AirFrance to keep crew and passenger updated with the rules ( also used by ground staff in Paris airport)
At the moment, Canada requires a negative PCR test 72h hours before the scheduled departure of the flight that land in Canada
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Not sure what you mean by rapid PCR at CDG.
You must be careful of the current and exact Canada requirements.
I believe that Canada does not accept antigen tests but only molecular tests such as PCR, NAT or RT-LAMP (a fast one). As per airport information (Goldorak would know better), CDG only provides either a classic PCR or antigen. These are provided by Cerballiance. They promise within 48h. If you do the test in late afternoon, they usually email the results in the next morning. My experience was a test a 17:30 with result posted at 11am.

I have no idea what "rapid PCR" Orly performs. Might be RT-LAMP.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Not sure what you mean by rapid PCR at CDG.
You must be careful of the current and exact Canada requirements.
I believe that Canada does not accept antigen tests but only molecular tests such as PCR, NAT or RT-LAMP (a fast one). As per airport information (Goldorak would know better), CDG only provides either a classic PCR or antigen. These are provided by Cerballiance. They promise within 48h. If you do the test in late afternoon, they usually email the results in the next morning. My experience was a test a 17:30 with result posted at 11am.

I have no idea what "rapid PCR" Orly performs. Might be RT-LAMP.
CDG offers a "rapid PCR" which is really an Abbott ID NOW NAAT test afaik and is acceptable to enter Canada. Results in 1-2hrs. Bookable here:
https://www.doctolib.fr/centre-depis...rles-de-gaulle

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
At the moment, Canada requires a negative PCR test 72h hours before the scheduled departure of the flight that land in Canada
This is the issue. I'm going to talk with the hotel and see if it's doable but it's a tight window. It really depends on when the tests can be sent to Male to be run.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Oct 24, 2021 at 4:14 pm
Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Well, I contacted Air France and they say that transit passengers need a COVID test. I cannot find that policy anywhere on the internet. It's not even on the website they told me to check on and that the agent claimed they were looking at.
https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero

I guess I'll have to try to figure this out with the hotel to get the test processed ASAP. As foreshadowed by many here, it's going to be too troublesome to get AF to cooperate here regardless of the actual rules.

I think worst case we change their flight so they just fly back to SFO with me so we're under the more relaxed US test rules and it can just be a BinaxNOW test, and then they fly back to Toronto a couple days later after another test.

Mods can close this thread. Thank you to everyone for the info and advice!
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Oct 24, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Old Oct 24, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Well, I contacted Air France and they say that transit passengers need a COVID test. I cannot find that policy anywhere on the internet. It's not even on the website they told me to check on and that the agent claimed they were looking at.
https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero
this is totally wrong. Unbelievable that they can give such information. And I don’t think CDG has ever requested test for transit if the destination country is not requiring it.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
this is totally wrong. Unbelievable that they can give such information. And I don’t think CDG has ever requested test for transit if the destination country is not requiring it.
I know it's wrong, but I'm already imagining the agents in MLE who decide my fate making the same wrong determinations and then it's game over.

I also just found out that AF tickets are basically fully refundable because you can get a voucher and then refund the voucher? Absolutely crazy good policy. My companion is just going to fly back to SF with me because it's cheaper and I can check their bag home under my J baggage allowance to save them another $70, plus no PCR cost in Maldives it actually ends up costing them less in the end even after the cost of the separate Toronto flight.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I know it's wrong, but I'm already imagining the agents in MLE who decide my fate making the same wrong determinations and then it's game over.

I also just found out that AF tickets are basically fully refundable because you can get a voucher and then refund the voucher? Absolutely crazy good policy. My companion is just going to fly back to SF with me because it's cheaper and I can check their bag home under my J baggage allowance to save them another $70, plus no PCR cost in Maldives it actually ends up costing them less in the end even after the cost of the separate Toronto flight.
that is a very safe choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.