DXB-CDG via MCT

Old Oct 23, 21, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
DXB-CDG via MCT

Hi everyone,
Just noticed that my upcoming AF694 has a 2h stop in Muscat. Shall we deplane and/or have C-19+visa requirements for Oman?
With KL, I'm used to those 1h tech stops where everybody stays onboard. But with AF it seems that those stops are longer ~ 1h30 to 2h (or longer!) most of the time. Thus I'm wondering what to expect.
TIA
Old Oct 23, 21, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As this flight is new and has never operated yet, I don’t think anyone will know the answer, knowing that the protocols during Covid can be different than in normal times. You mentioned KL where you stay on board, but that not always the case. For instance, before covid, on AMS-BOG-CTG, pax to CTG were deplaning in BOG.
In Covid times, I would tend to say that you will stay on-board.
Old Oct 23, 21, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
As this flight is new and has never operated yet, I don’t think anyone will know the answer, knowing that the protocols during Covid can be different than in normal times. You mentioned KL where you stay on board, but that not always the case. For instance, before covid, on AMS-BOG-CTG, pax to CTG were deplaning in BOG.
In Covid times, I would tend to say that you will stay on-board.
Thanks for the feedback and, for once, I wouldn't mind going to a sterile area (if existing) in the terminal while in MCT especially for 2 long hours!
Can the reason why traveller disembark(ed) in BOG is because it's the same country?
Old Oct 23, 21, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
Can the reason why traveller disembark(ed) in BOG is because it's the same country?
Hard to say, as AMS-CTG pax do not clear immigration in BOG, but in CTG. For the cleaning team, its never easy to clean the plane if pax are still on board.
When AF had some tags in BKK (to Vietnam or Cambodia), you were always disembarking when coming from CDG. But on the return, it was totally random and based on the mood of the day in Bangkok. Sometimes, the decision from Thai authorities even changed during the descent.
If a stop is in US or Canada, you are always deplaning.
Old Oct 28, 21, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your diverse experiences Goldorak!
I guess that stopovers in Canada and US must take longer than 2h but at least one knows what to expect compared to BKK .
Old Nov 22, 21, 11:56 am

Any update on that topic?
I have a trip that also flies me back from DXB to CDG via MCT and wonder if that will affect PCR test requirement or anything else.
Old Nov 24, 21, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by maxvor View Post
Any update on that topic?
I have a trip that also flies me back from DXB to CDG via MCT and wonder if that will affect PCR test requirement or anything else.
the stop in MCT doesnt change anything for Covid-related stuff.
Old Nov 24, 21, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a trip that also flies me back from DXB to CDG via MCT.
Nice detour if your destination is CDG. 10 hours total travel time instead of seven. At least you avoid one of those in the dead of night departures.

Those with destination MCT do well to avoid KLAF, those stops in DMM and DXB respectively are annoying. And Oman Air beats both by a million miles when it comes to the hard and soft products.

MCT, by the way, is a really nice, modern, spacious and efficient airport. Even in these Covid times arrivals is a breeze. Departures is even smoother, at least if you are in J.

Johan
Old Nov 25, 21, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
the stop in MCT doesnt change anything for Covid-related stuff.
Are you talking from personal experience or you just assume? The reason I ask is because flying into MCT these days requires PCR test, while flying from DXB to CDG directly on AF I don't need one (being vaccinated).
Old Nov 25, 21, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
At least you avoid one of those in the dead of night departures.

Those with destination MCT do well to avoid KLAF, those stops in DMM and DXB respectively are annoying. And Oman Air beats both by a million miles when it comes to the hard and soft products.
Johan
Exactly the reason I wanted to avoid direct flights. Hardly any meaningful service, even in J (being night flight - supposedly, on KLM it's even worse), plus B787 is my preferred aircraft (that is when A350 is not possible).
Sure Oman Air is great, unfortunately you can't earn double-XPs (even single XPs for that matter) with them, and the price on my route (HEL-DXB) is almost triple.
Old Nov 27, 21, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Are you talking from personal experience or you just assume? The reason I ask is because flying into MCT these days requires PCR test, while flying from DXB to CDG directly on AF I don't need one (being vaccinated).
you are not flying to MCT, not even connecting. It's just a stop.
splflyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 6:43 am

I took the flight last week, from DXB via MCT to CDG. It can not be recommended.
there is no service at all from the moment boarding I. DXB to reaching cruising altitude from MCT to CDG so we had to ask for a glass of water ourselves. With attitude this was served.
Also, you can not leave the aircraft in MCT so that means waiting for 2 hours in MCT in the aircraft. Ridiculous.
It was probably the worst AF long haul flight I ever was on. Inefficient, mediocre food and unfriendly service. Also the turbulence didnt help but that wasnt AF fault of course.

Search this Thread