Air France wins 4 Skytrax Awards!

Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Air France wins 4 Skytrax Awards!

Proud to be part of Team JFK!

https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/n...rope-and-covid
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I don't know what to say...
I understand lots of people are happy and proud, but I very much challenge rankings of SkyTrax.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: FB Gold
There was a thread about this in the combined AF/KLM Flying Blue forum, but as much as I do like AF as an airline, I too have to place limited value on what Skytrax puts out, given the questionable awards they've given in the past.

That said, I still prefer AF and fly with them despite it making zero practical sense for me to do so (domicile and family located at *A hubs).
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Do you experienced guys here really give any credence to Skytrax? I most certainly do not. I wouldn't even know about their nonsense if it wasn't posted here.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: KL Plat
It must have been the eradication of COVID spreading carbonated drinks on the UK routes that really impressed the judges!
Old Oct 5, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Solevita
It must have been the eradication of COVID spreading carbonated drinks all catering on the UK routes that really impressed the judges!
corrected it for you. The Japanese zen-like minimalism, to bring home to passengers what flying is essentially about in a far more simplified form than any low cost airline would ever dare is pure artistic genius on the part of Air France, making flying AF between London and Paris a truly unique flying experience.
johan rebel and Solevita like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:49 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Solevita
It must have been the eradication of COVID spreading carbonated drinks on the UK routes that really impressed the judges!
As far as I know the rankings are not established by judges but by passengers' votes. Which simply means that the rankings may be an expression of either people getting a bad service but better than expected, people believing the "this is because of Covid" line, people being genuinely happy because they don't know better, people being genuinely happy and they have seen other airlines, over-representation of people flying on routees that are not suffering from Covid service cuts... one simply doesn't know. It's as useful as the marks you see on Google maps for restaurants. The restaurant with a 4.2 rating may be much better than the one next door with a 4.9 rating, simply because people giving grades for the 4.2 outlet are more demanding.

And while I don't "trust" Skytrax rankings, I do find that AF has become better over the years. Can an airline that still has recliners in longhaul J be among the top 10 in the world? YMMV.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
As far as I know the rankings are not established by judges but by passengers' votes. Which simply means that the rankings may be an expression of either people getting a bad service but better than expected, people believing the "this is because of Covid" line, people being genuinely happy because they don't know better, people being genuinely happy and they have seen other airlines, over-representation of people flying on routees that are not suffering from Covid service cuts... one simply doesn't know. It's as useful as the marks you see on Google maps for restaurants. The restaurant with a 4.2 rating may be much better than the one next door with a 4.9 rating, simply because people giving grades for the 4.2 outlet are more demanding.

And while I don't "trust" Skytrax rankings, I do find that AF has become better over the years. Can an airline that still has recliners in longhaul J be among the top 10 in the world? YMMV.
Indeed, all rankings are biased, especially Skytrax.
Skytrax relies on advertising and many people feel that there is some correlation.
ALso some airline "induce" pax to vote on Skytrax.

Nevertheless, I agree with San Gottardo that AF has improved over the years relatie to most other airlines. The 777 sardine seating that was mostly found on AF is now shared by many airlines. AF has finally introduced J beds in a big portion of its fleet. AF has kept an excellent F product while some airlines downgraded it or even removed it. Service on all airlines suffered from covid, but AF has been better than most in restoring proper service.
BTW, nothing is really shocking me in those Skytrax rankings this year.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by brunos
. Service on all airlines suffered from covid, but AF has been better than most in restoring proper service.
After many flights with water from papercups and a biscuit as J class catering I disagree. I didn't fly many airlines during Covid, and I hear horror stories from British Airways longhaul flights in First. But the few airlines I did use during Covid, AF has fallen even deeper in onboard catering.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
After many flights with water from papercups and a biscuit as J class catering I disagree. I didn't fly many airlines during Covid, and I hear horror stories from British Airways longhaul flights in First. But the few airlines I did use during Covid, AF has fallen even deeper in onboard catering.
My experience is also limited and mostly targeted at longhaul.
AF restored near-normal service on longhaul much faster than most airlines. J and F service was back to excellent levels long ago.The combination of better seats and good F&B has made AF an attractive airline in the past year or so.
I understand that there are some sore points in J on European flights. But domestic Y service is back to normal.
I was a big fan of BA. They drastically reduced the quality of longhaul J & F before covid. And I was one of those suffering from no service in F. It has been a bit restored since, but still seat/F&B/price well below par, and if you ignore price ...no more BA for me.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

inflight

Originally Posted by brunos
I understand that there are some sore points in J on European flights.
I have to say that, out of London, AF is the worst airline bar none. Even the worst LCC airline that you can think of offers a better inflight experience regardless of class of service. Add to this a sub-par lounge since they moved to T3 and you have a degree of contempt towards its London-based clientele which is unparalleled by any airline. Frankly, you get incomparably better service out of STN on Ryanair than you get out of Heathrow on AF. I struggle to think what AF could do to sink any deeper in terms of quality. Cancel lounge access altogether and close check-in desks 2 hours before departure, perhaps? By comparison, Air Inter in its worst days was better than AF is currently out of LHR. This is how low AF has sunk in the UK. I am no fan of the current BA, so much so that I have dropped from Gold to Bronze in the last 5 years and have not bought a revenue ticket on BA for years, but give me a UK-France flight on BA any time over the current incarnation of AF out of the UK.
johan rebel likes this.

Last edited by NickB; Oct 7, 2021 at 4:18 pm Reason: multiple typos
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Then there's LH groupe....making the latest "enhancements" because apparently it's what customers wanted .
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by NickB
Frankly, you get incomparably better service out of STN on Ryanair than you get out of Heathrow on AF.
I can certainly imagine that you have some 'justified' resentment towards AF but I think it is a bit too strong.

I don't know anyone who would rather fly Ryanair than AF, starting with me.
Except if the prices are tripled of course and still ....
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say that, out of London, AF is the worst airline bar none. Even the worst LCC airline that you can think of offers a better inflight experience regardless of class of service. Add to this a sub-par lounge since they moved to T3 and you have a degree of contempt towards its London-based clientele which is unparalleled by any airline. Frankly, you get incomparably better service out of STN on Ryanair than you get out of Heathrow on AF. I struggle to think what AF could do to sink any deeper in terms of quality. Cancel lounge access altogether and close check-in desks 2 hours before departure, perhaps? By comparison, Air Inter in its worst days was better than AF is currently out of LHR. This is how low AF has sunk in the UK. I am no fan of the current BA, so much so that I have dropped from Gold to Bronze in the last 5 years and have not bought a revenue ticket on BA for years, but give me a UK-France flight on BA any time over the current incarnation of AF out of the UK.
BA completely stopped flying to CDG for many many months.
With no competition, AF adapted its service to this 200 miles flight. It was quite difficult to provide a rushed F&B service of any kind on this 50min flight. WIth covid and lack of competition I think that AF choice was a no brainer. Very few would consider Ryanair competition.
Now that BA has resumed flights to CDG, I would assume that AF is restarting some kind of service.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say that, out of London, AF is the worst airline bar none.
I take it back: the bar service is back on LHR-CDG, so drinks, including hot drinks, were available today. Hurray. Food in J was limited to the pre-packaged galette that you get in the lounges, but at least there was something available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.