Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZYR-CDG-JFK (Brussels train)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 6:11 am
Original Poster

ZYR-CDG-JFK (Brussels train)

I'm considering AF's ZYR-CDG-JFK train and plane combination. What is the process at ZYR and at CDG? Do you check in (including showing negative covid test) and do passport control in Brussels? Where do you do security? With only 1:26 at CDG I'm hoping it's just getting from the train station to the gate. We'd be traveling in business, probably the 8:17 or 10:17 departure.

How long before departure would we have to arrive at the Brussels train station? Anything else about this arrangement I should know?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: FB platinum
I've done that in the past, and it works well.
There is lots of info here: https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo..._airfrance.htm
But basically, you should arrive at least 30 min before departure to check your bags at Brussels train station, where there is a dedicated AF/KLM counter somewhere (a bit hard to find IMHO). They will take care of the bags all the way to JFK, which is nice. When you arrive at CDG, you will have to walk to terminal 2E, pass security (with priority) and passport control, and you can go to your gate.
Should you miss the plane, you will be rebooked on the next one anyway, so I would not worry too much for the "short" connection.

I don't know if you will fly the reverse route too, but if you do so, you have to pick your bags on the belt at CDG and then go to the train station to get your ticket. I'm not sure if they can take your bags again or not at this point, usually I just picked up my ticket and left to go home in Paris
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:27 am
Original Poster

We won't be checking any bags. Current plan is JFK-CDG outbound, then ZYR-CDG-JFK return.

Can you really do passport control and security at CDG and get to the gate in time for boarding, all within 1:26, especially in the current era?

Rebooking on the next flight is helpful, although I'd rather not miss a flight. Do they do the next AF CDG-JFK or will they also do a DL codeshare?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: FB platinum
If you don't have any bag to check, you can arrive even a little bit later at ZYR. But you must still go to the counter to get your ticket and do your check-in.

1:26 with SkyPriority sounds doable, even in covid times, but maybe someone else has more insight for this.

If you miss the flight, they will get you there as quickly as possible (AF, DL, or even KLM though AMS if you want: it does not matter, they have a joint-venture so they share revenue regardless ).
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
Can you really do passport control and security at CDG and get to the gate in time for boarding, all within 1:26, especially in the current era?
Yes, all the paperwork will have be checked in ZYR, so it will be the regular exit passport control & security.

Originally Posted by richarddd
Rebooking on the next flight is helpful, although I'd rather not miss a flight. Do they do the next AF CDG-JFK or will they also do a DL codeshare?
Both, they are in JV, so, it doesn't matter.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
One of my flights coming up will be IAD-CDG-ZYR. Since they are on a single air+train ticket, would I be able to go to one of the terminal 2E departures lounges as a connection for a quick shower before passport control? I have a vague recollection of passport control being right before baggage claim, but never thought about whether you could go to one of the departure lounges when making a connection, since I had always connected by air rather than to the train. In fact, I've never done the air+train before. Even if possible, I'm not keen on risking leaving any luggage unattended at the carousel. Sorry the 2C is closed. That would have been perfect.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I don't think you can go to 2E departures without a boarding pass for a flight departing from 2E.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I don't think you can go to 2E departures without a boarding pass for a flight departing from 2E.
Correct.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by lynxy
If you don't have any bag to check, you can arrive even a little bit later at ZYR. But you must still go to the counter to get your ticket and do your check-in.

1:26 with SkyPriority sounds doable, even in covid times, but maybe someone else has more insight for this.

If you miss the flight, they will get you there as quickly as possible (AF, DL, or even KLM though AMS if you want: it does not matter, they have a joint-venture so they share revenue regardless ).
If checking my luggage (Affaires business class) at ZYR the day before the morning train to CDG, where can I get an Access No. 1 pass? At the AF dropoff at ZYR, or do I still need to go to the check in/baggage counter at CDG? (Or is it on my electronic boarding pass? I think I still used a paper Access No. 1 pass back on my last flight in 12/19.) Anyway, I always found that saved a lot of time.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: FB:Plat ALL:Plat
It's on your BP. (Skypriority logo)

By the way unless I am mistaken, you still need to carry your luggage with you on the train and check it in at CDG.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by TonyHe
It's on your BP. (Skypriority logo)

By the way unless I am mistaken, you still need to carry your luggage with you on the train and check it in at CDG.
Thanks. AF/KLM website still says you can check it at the Gare Midi/ZYR AF desk the day before (not the day of) your flight at CDG, and they will send it to be loaded on your AF flight so you can skip baggage check in. Has that stopped during the pandemic? (I will be in central Brussels, so would do so if it is available, and save time at CDG.) I have not done the train+plane before.

https://wwws.airfrance.us/informatio...ages-bruxelles

Last edited by Artpen100; Apr 25, 2022 at 9:35 am
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by lynxy
I've done that in the past, and it works well.
There is lots of info here: https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo..._airfrance.htm
But basically, you should arrive at least 30 min before departure to check your bags at Brussels train station, where there is a dedicated AF/KLM counter somewhere (a bit hard to find IMHO). They will take care of the bags all the way to JFK, which is nice. When you arrive at CDG, you will have to walk to terminal 2E, pass security (with priority) and passport control, and you can go to your gate.
Should you miss the plane, you will be rebooked on the next one anyway, so I would not worry too much for the "short" connection.

I don't know if you will fly the reverse route too, but if you do so, you have to pick your bags on the belt at CDG and then go to the train station to get your ticket. I'm not sure if they can take your bags again or not at this point, usually I just picked up my ticket and left to go home in Paris

Hi all,

Reviving this thread for a quick question: can anyone confirm here that picking up the return train ticket on a XXX-CDG-ZYR itinerary at the CDG station is enough for AF to consider that you've traveled on the final train segment? I will get miles/XPs and won't get an angry email telling me I owe AF thousands of euros because I was skiplagging?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Hi all,

Reviving this thread for a quick question: can anyone confirm here that picking up the return train ticket on a XXX-CDG-ZYR itinerary at the CDG station is enough for AF to consider that you've traveled on the final train segment? I will get miles/XPs and won't get an angry email telling me I owe AF thousands of euros because I was skiplagging?
Can confirm you just need to pick up the tickets to count as « boarded ».

(as of Feb 2020)
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
(...) won't get an angry email telling me I owe AF thousands of euros because I was skiplagging?
Even if you skipped the last leg without collecting the ticket, it is not and has never been AF's policy to chase their customers asking them for extra cash because of a reprice due to missing the last leg of a ticket.

There has been a lot of discussion about this on this forum, with people arguing whether it was fair or not, legal or not, possible or not...

However, I have not as not read any report from anyone saying it actuality happened to them. Other airlines, in particular in the US may do it but not AF.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Even if you skipped the last leg without collecting the ticket, it is not and has never been AF's policy to chase their customers asking them for extra cash because of a reprice due to missing the last leg of a ticket.

There has been a lot of discussion about this on this forum, with people arguing whether it was fair or not, legal or not, possible or not...

However, I have not as not read any report from anyone saying it actuality happened to them. Other airlines, in particular in the US may do it but not AF.
Thank you for clarifying! The only thing I'd seen "in the real world" was a Lufthansa lawsuit back in 2019. They ultimately lost (https://liveandletsfly.com/lufthansa-loses-lawsuit/)

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.