Wiki Posts
Search

Air France headphone jack

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Air France headphone jack

Hello,

just wondering if Air France needs a headphone jack adapter so that I can use my Bose headphones? Does it use the two prong jack instead of single one?

thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:54 pm

That might depend on your class of travel and aircraft type, I haven't flown AF recently enough to remember but on KL 777/787 in Y it's a normal one vs. J where it's a 3 prong one.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Azupan
Hello,

just wondering if Air France needs a headphone jack adapter so that I can use my Bose headphones? Does it use the two prong jack instead of single one?

thanks!
I was just on there JFK-CDG and while I did not unplug it, I felt it was two or three prongs.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:58 pm

Update

I flew AF 10 in business class on Sunday and checked for you. It was the triangular three prong plug.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I flew AF 10 in business class on Sunday and checked for you. It was the triangular three prong plug.
Just to add on, I use my Bose headphones in biz by unplugging the AF headphones and using my 2-prong adapter in the bottom 2 holes of the AF socket.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
Just to add on, I use my Bose headphones in biz by unplugging the AF headphones and using my 2-prong adapter in the bottom 2 holes of the AF socket.
Yes, the third plug is, as I understand it, meant to power the noise cancellation. Which your Bose headphones would have had built in.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
How many prongs is the Bose to start? I mean, my computers would only take one-prong plugs.

Also, I was under the impression that some airlines have three prong headsets so stealing them would be of no use to you. Is this wrong?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
How many prongs is the Bose to start? I mean, my computers would only take one-prong plugs.

Also, I was under the impression that some airlines have three prong headsets so stealing them would be of no use to you. Is this wrong?
Headphone jacks in airplanes used to be non-standard in the first place with the two-prong two-contact-each model for stereo where normal headphones use single 3.5 mm with either 3 or 4 contacts, or 6.25mm for older hi-fi equipment.

The third, smaller, prong is there to deliver power to active headphones.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Headphone jacks in airplanes used to be non-standard in the first place
Yes, and the reason for that was to discourage liberating them from the plane.

(Who remembers the pneumatic tubes before the dual-mono minijacks?)
maalloc likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:08 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
...and in many cases you can plug in your stereo, single, 3.5 jack into any of the two plugs - and still get stereo audio. Only the 'old' plugs actually deliver only a single audio channel on each of those two prongs.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
...and in many cases you can plug in your stereo, single, 3.5 jack into any of the two plugs - and still get stereo audio. Only the 'old' plugs actually deliver only a single audio channel on each of those two prongs.
Are you sure? Mono plugs are compatible with stereo plugs in that they'll just give you the same audio to both channels. But for the actual mono plugs they'd have to swap L and R on one of the two to make it work correctly.

To be fair when I use my adapter I never know for sure if I have it inserted the right way around so I may as well be listening to L in my right ear and vice versa that way too.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:17 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
This was the case for the Air Europa 787 I was on last weekend. Didn't bring my 2-prong adapter and plugged the single 3.5 jack into one of the two plugs - and got full stereo sound.

I'm suspecting these are simply two stereo plugs, where the airline provided headphones likely just use one of the two. The fact that there is a second plug may just be for compatibility reasons?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
This was the case for the Air Europa 787 I was on last weekend. Didn't bring my 2-prong adapter and plugged the single 3.5 jack into one of the two plugs - and got full stereo sound.

I'm suspecting these are simply two stereo plugs, where the airline provided headphones likely just use one of the two. The fact that there is a second plug may just be for compatibility reasons?

Chances are you didn't get a stereo sound, just a mono sound in both channels. That is a common "function" in putting a stereo prong into a mono hole, going back to when mono holes were actually a thing that made sense (accessibility things mostly).

It is feasible to just make two stereo connections and a twin-prong headset that works with this setup but it sort of negates the whole point of this setup in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.