Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping train segment of Paris to Lyon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Skipping train segment of Paris to Lyon

We're traveling next month on a round trip on AF by plane to Paris and then a train to Lyon. We will eventually go to Lyon for the return segment, but wanted to skip the train segment to Lyon to spend the first week in Paris. Looking at older posts, it seems like this is possible by collecting the train ticket from the counter and never using it? Is this still the case? Also, is there any way to salvage the value of that train ticket when we eventually take the train to Lyon?

Last edited by JOUY31; Nov 30, 2021 at 2:30 pm
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
I believe its a bit different for domestic tgv but I've skipped the last train segment on Brussels bound trains and never had problems. Just get your ticket from the counter and they'll mark you as "boarded".
There is a 24h window requirement for the trip so if you go over that you'll have to fork the difference yourself

Once again this applies for Brussels trains but it might be different for domestic France.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by travelingsalesman123
Also, is there any way to salvage the value of that train ticket when we eventually take the train to Lyon?
Last time I tried to do that for the same CDG-XYD segment (1 year ago), the answer was niet. You either used it or lost it.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:59 am
Suspended

I don't know how much this applies to the whole of Europe and specifically France, but when my wife and I took a train in Germany, we went to https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de / we found out the time and realized that the time for which the train was scheduled did not suit us, we just went to the ticket office and returned our tickets. Perhaps it plays a role in how much time before departure you are trying to return it. Maybe if it's a few days before departure, then you can return the ticket without any problems, but if it's a couple of minutes before departure, it's unlikely. I hope you have sorted out your problem.

Last edited by Creeskan; Nov 27, 2021 at 7:19 am
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Creeskan
(...) but when my wife and I took a train in Germany.
What happened?
Solevita likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by carnarvon
What happened?
Having nothing better to do on the train, they started opening FT accounts just to spam it would seem.
JournoFlyer and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:34 pm

In the very worst case you board that TGV to Lyon, get off at the first stop, buy a ticket and take the next train to Paris. It will not cost much more nor take a lot more time than the taxi from CDG to Paris. Even if Lyon is the first stop it is not that far.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by af fp
In the very worst case you board that TGV to Lyon, get off at the first stop, buy a ticket and take the next train to Paris. It will not cost much more nor take a lot more time than the taxi from CDG to Paris. Even if Lyon is the first stop it is not that far.
I would strongly recommend against that. There's no reason to board, AF only checks that you retrieved the ticket. A R/T from CDG to Lyon will easily net you 5-6 hours. There are better ways to spend time in France.
carnarvon likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
Originally Posted by af fp
I have to disagree with you on this one. Lyon will indeed be the first stop, they will need a minimum of 2h to go there, then if they are unlucky they will need to wait another 2h before they can take turn around and have a 2h ride back to Paris. TGV tickets are not cheap, and it will surely take much more time than a taxi from CDG to Paris, and it will cost much, much more than a train ticket downtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.