New Air France subscription/ reduction cards

Old Jun 19, 21, 1:34 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,625
New Air France subscription/ reduction cards

They have changed the rules of the Junior, Senior and weekend Cards, and all cards can now also be used for travel throughout Europe, not only France. Reduced fees on cancellation and modifications as well. Article (from a source that is usually a bit popular and thus sloppy): https://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/air-...geurs-20210618

i havent looked at the details yet. I just hope thats its not the same ber-complicated mess designed by bureaucrats as the new cards from SNCF.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jun 19, 21, 3:20 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 20,965
This is great news and a big competitive advantage against LCC with the reduction proposed and the new flexibility conditions proposed, and for 49E/year. A very smart decision
Note that the screenshot below is an official info from AF.
Also, those cards works only for journeys starting from France.


Goldorak is offline  
Old Jun 19, 21, 3:40 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reality, Freedom • Fly Tarom •
Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 10,064
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I just hope thats its not the same ber-complicated mess designed by bureaucrats as the new cards from SNCF.
Don't get me started on the new cards from the SNCF!! 🙄🙄😡😡
blairvanhorn is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 1:28 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,625
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
Don't get me started on the new cards from the SNCF!! 🙄🙄😡😡
Shall we? It would be fun. The perfect example of "corporate in-breeding", where a company is absolutely watertight to any ideas, inspiration or influence from the outside.
blairvanhorn and Goldorak like this.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 1:34 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reality, Freedom • Fly Tarom •
Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 10,064
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
The perfect example of "corporate in-breeding", where a company is absolutely watertight to any ideas, inspiration or influence from the outside.
Or to just plain common business/commercial
sense!
blairvanhorn is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 2:39 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PAR, TYO, SEL, SIN, SYD
Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum
Posts: 616
Not sure about the Senior and Weekend but the Carte Jeune has been Europe wide for at least a couple of years (Europe, North Africa and narrowbody destinations in the Middle East).

The problem with these cards is AF issues them as a pdf and thats pretty much it. Shouldn't be too hard to have them in the app but what do I know.
Also, from experience, these cards are never checked.
Digicola is online now  
Old Jun 20, 21, 8:53 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 15,076
My senior card is checked on every single; flight.
It is in the AF system somewhere, but the gate agent do not have it available, so you must show it on the AF app or wallet. Silly.
brunos is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 11:16 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: FB platinum
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by brunos
My senior card is checked on every single; flight.
It is in the AF system somewhere, but the gate agent do not have it available, so you must show it on the AF app or wallet. Silly.
The weekend card is checked automatically by the system when you book (you have to give the number for each passenger).

This is a very good change! I look forward to book such rates for Europe
lynxy is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 12:43 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 20,965
Originally Posted by lynxy
The weekend card is checked automatically by the system when you book (you have to give the number for each passenger).
Indeed, this is the main difference between the weekend card and the Senior card : you cannot book a WE fare if you don't have a valid WE card for the trip date, while you can book a Senior fare without having the Senior card but you need to have it at the time of the trip and it can be controlled at the airport. Some years ago, the Senior card was handled as the WE card is handled today. I don't know why they changed this.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 12:44 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Posts: 704
That is a move we could have expected as otherwise, the WE card would have been not useful with all flights transferred to TO.
canadavid is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 1:45 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 20,965
Does anyone can book a WE fare in Europe ? I just tried to make a dummy booking CDG-EU in July and the WE fare is nowhere to be seen. And doing this I saw something interesting :
- if not logged in to my FB account : fare is 463€
- if logged in to my FB account : fare is 705 €

Last edited by Goldorak; Jun 20, 21 at 1:57 pm
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 2:17 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
Posts: 202
I have tried simulating a senior fare ( assuming senior with card will be the same price as weekend card if rule of weekend is respected)
By example for a flight to ATH the 7/8/21 with 7.10 am departure and return the 14/8/21 with 7.55 pm departure : light fare is 1414 € and senior is 1342 € ; this is a good saving you can achieved; On return flight in France in the cheap fare the saving is 5 € by segment. Today benefit is limited for Silver and above as we have 1 free luggage anyway and free change and cancellation until end of 2021; In most case you will need probably more than 4 flight eligible over weekend to get benefit from the card.
The card will become more interesting in 2022 with the benefit to change flight for 10 € and cancel for 20 €;
It seems to work also with connecting flight via AMS.
pascalgr is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 2:20 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,625
Indeed the JEUNE cards were already valid for European destinations before. Now also for Weekend and Senior. What is new are the (quite attractive) cancellation and change fees.

What remains an absolute utter nightmare, including many things that defy any common sense:
  • Booking an itinerary for a family where one of the kids has a carte jeune. Impossible. The kid has to be booked separately. PNRs can be "linked", but the youngster won't have access to the same seats in the way he would have when on the same booking as his parents
  • To book the Jeune itinerary, one has to select "Young 18-26 years old", even for a child younger than 18. Otherwise the "Does this person have a Jeune card" won't pop up
  • Impossible to book an itinerary for two adults with one having a Weekend card and the other one not
There is one thing I don't understand in the article: it mentions that the new cards will be interesting for status customers only after January 2022, I didn't get why.
blairvanhorn and Digicola like this.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jun 20, 21, 3:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 915
Originally Posted by lynxy
The weekend card is checked automatically by the system when you book (you have to give the number for each passenger).

This is a very good change! I look forward to book such rates for Europe
Is that card valid for business class ticket ?
Bullspread is online now  
Old Jun 20, 21, 3:23 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 20,965
Originally Posted by pascalgr
I have tried simulating a senior fare ( assuming senior with card will be the same price as weekend card if rule of weekend is respected)
By example for a flight to ATH the 7/8/21 with 7.10 am departure and return the 14/8/21 with 7.55 pm departure : light fare is 1414 € and senior is 1342 € ; this is a good saving you can achieved; On return flight in France in the cheap fare the saving is 5 € by segment. Today benefit is limited for Silver and above as we have 1 free luggage anyway and free change and cancellation until end of 2021; In most case you will need probably more than 4 flight eligible over weekend to get benefit from the card.
The card will become more interesting in 2022 with the benefit to change flight for 10 € and cancel for 20 €;
It seems to work also with connecting flight via AMS.
I can't see any WE fares for Europe. I see them only for domestic flights. When I am logged in to my FB account, I see only Flex fares . If not logged-in, I see all fares (light, standard, flex, but no WE fares obviously as you need to have a WE card linked).

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Indeed the JEUNE cards were already valid for European destinations before. Now also for Weekend and Senior. What is new are the (quite attractive) cancellation and change fees.

What remains an absolute utter nightmare, including many things that defy any common sense:
  • Booking an itinerary for a family where one of the kids has a carte jeune. Impossible. The kid has to be booked separately. PNRs can be "linked", but the youngster won't have access to the same seats in the way he would have when on the same booking as his parents
  • To book the Jeune itinerary, one has to select "Young 18-26 years old", even for a child younger than 18. Otherwise the "Does this person have a Jeune card" won't pop up
  • Impossible to book an itinerary for two adults with one having a Weekend card and the other one not
There is one thing I don't understand in the article: it mentions that the new cards will be interesting for status customers only after January 2022, I didn't get why.
Are you able to book a WE fare for 1 adult having the WE card for a EU destination?
Goldorak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.