LAX-CDG-DXB; long-time FTer; 1st-time AF

Old Apr 18, 21, 6:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
Posts: 770
LAX-CDG-DXB; long-time FTer; 1st-time AF

Hello everyone. Hoping into the AF forum after years and years and years on AA since thatís where my home/heart/points are.

But my BA leg of my AA routing from LAX to DXB was cancelled a few days ago ... so I booked AF in Business and joined the Flying Blue program.

1. LAX to DXB via CDG will be A 777-300 and a 787-900, I believe. I generally fly the triple 7 on AA so I assume itís all the same in the air. The whisky appears better on AF 😂

2. I studied up that Iím to use the Korean Air lounge at LAX? Correct/wrong?

3. Appears I have 3 hours at CDG so Iíll just use a lounge or is there a particular one you suggest?

4. Return is on KLM (codeshare AF?) through Amsterdam (a few hours). Gonna be weird in Business as itís 2-2-2 and Iím deciding to take a seat in the center section to have easy aisle access.

5. How is this airline? KLM.

6. Last question. Thoughts about using the meet-n-greet service in CDG or even DXB upon arrival? Seems fairly inexpensive to be hand-held.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance
nhila is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 12:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NBO,DXB,CMN,TXL,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by nhila View Post
Hello everyone. Hoping into the AF forum after years and years and years on AA since thatís where my home/heart/points are.

But my BA leg of my AA routing from LAX to DXB was cancelled a few days ago ... so I booked AF in Business and joined the Flying Blue program.

1. LAX to DXB via CDG will be A 777-300 and a 787-900, I believe. I generally fly the triple 7 on AA so I assume itís all the same in the air. The whisky appears better on AF 😂

2. I studied up that Iím to use the Korean Air lounge at LAX? Correct/wrong?

3. Appears I have 3 hours at CDG so Iíll just use a lounge or is there a particular one you suggest?

4. Return is on KLM (codeshare AF?) through Amsterdam (a few hours). Gonna be weird in Business as itís 2-2-2 and Iím deciding to take a seat in the center section to have easy aisle access.

5. How is this airline? KLM.

6. Last question. Thoughts about using the meet-n-greet service in CDG or even DXB upon arrival? Seems fairly inexpensive to be hand-held.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance
Welcome to AFKL. My two cents below:

1. Seats and service will be roughly the same on both aircrafts - on the 789 there might one row missing one window (row 5)
2. That is correct. There might be adjusted service due to Covid though.
3. Youíll transfer at CDG Terminal 2E to 2E. 2E has multiple bays (2E-K - main one,, 2E-L, 2E-M). Flight could be leaving from the main terminal or one of the bays. IMO, I prefer 2E-L lounge, but all are fine. Do note, because there is security at each terminal, youíre ďsupposedĒ to access the lounge in your bay (canít use 2E-L if your flight to DXB departs from 2E-K). Could be confirmed by someone else though
4.Thatís my preference as well when flying KL 2-2-2. If itís the 777, there could be two J Cabins (one main one, and one with only one row, behind the J galley). I always take the second cabin as itís more cozy, but you might have lost Y PAX once in a while, and will be last to receive the meal. Not sure on the 333.
5. Hard to say. Better than AA ? Not the best food, but solid hard product, and crew is ok
6. Iíd recommend to keep your money. Transfer in CDG is rather seamless, so is arrival in DXB.
nhila likes this.
offvoice is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 3:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reality, Freedom • Fly Tarom •
Programs: AF FB Platinum (F+ Rouge Vintageģ) / Hertz Five Star / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 9,832
Originally Posted by offvoice View Post
3. Youíll transfer at CDG Terminal 2E to 2E. 2E has multiple bays (2E-K - main one,, 2E-L, 2E-M). Flight could be leaving from the main terminal or one of the bays. IMO, I prefer 2E-L lounge, but all are fine. Do note, because there is security at each terminal, youíre ďsupposedĒ to access the lounge in your bay (canít use 2E-L if your flight to DXB departs from 2E-K). Could be confirmed by someone else though
Correct.
nhila likes this.
blairvanhorn is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 1:28 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 16,434
Originally Posted by offvoice View Post
Welcome to AFKL. My two cents below:

1. Seats and service will be roughly the same on both aircrafts - on the 789 there might one row missing one window (row 5)
2. That is correct. There might be adjusted service due to Covid though.
3. You’ll transfer at CDG Terminal 2E to 2E. 2E has multiple bays (2E-K - main one,, 2E-L, 2E-M). Flight could be leaving from the main terminal or one of the bays. IMO, I prefer 2E-L lounge, but all are fine. Do note, because there is security at each terminal, you’re “supposed” to access the lounge in your bay (can’t use 2E-L if your flight to DXB departs from 2E-K). Could be confirmed by someone else though
4.That’s my preference as well when flying KL 2-2-2. If it’s the 777, there could be two J Cabins (one main one, and one with only one row, behind the J galley). I always take the second cabin as it’s more cozy, but you might have lost Y PAX once in a while, and will be last to receive the meal. Not sure on the 333.
5. Hard to say. Better than AA ? Not the best food, but solid hard product, and crew is ok
6. I’d recommend to keep your money. Transfer in CDG is rather seamless, so is arrival in DXB.
Agreed on everything, especially for 6) : keep your money ! useless spend . Just a few remarks
2) before Covid, AF didn't use the KE lounge anymore but the QF one. Don't know the current situation with Covid. As QF has stopped basically all international flights, it is indeed possible that it is back to KE lounge. If KE, the hard product is (or was) not bad but F&B was miserable before Covid, so likely worst since Covid.
3) M concourse (and lounge) is closed. So everything will be in K or L.
nhila likes this.
Goldorak is online now  
Old Apr 19, 21, 1:30 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 16,434
I just checked the AF site and they indeed mention KE lounge for LAX.
nhila likes this.
Goldorak is online now  
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:26 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny SoCal
Programs: AA lft PLT 2.2MM, SPG gold
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I just checked the AF site and they indeed mention KE lounge for LAX.
Sorry to chime in, but there is a brand new (just prior to covid) AMEX centurion lounge at LAX TBIT. I have yet to try it, but it looks great
IoViaggio is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:17 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Posts: 6,722
Currently it is Grab n Go only. The food actually looks decent but having to eat it in the terminal with the common folk... less so. /sarcsm

Originally Posted by IoViaggio View Post
Sorry to chime in, but there is a brand new (just prior to covid) AMEX centurion lounge at LAX TBIT. I have yet to try it, but it looks great
Yoshi212 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 11:26 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 16,434
Originally Posted by IoViaggio View Post
Sorry to chime in, but there is a brand new (just prior to covid) AMEX centurion lounge at LAX TBIT. I have yet to try it, but it looks great
but is this the lounge used now by AF ?
Goldorak is online now  
Old Apr 21, 21, 12:11 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny SoCal
Programs: AA lft PLT 2.2MM, SPG gold
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
but is this the lounge used now by AF ?
No, you will need an AMEX plat, AMEX bus Plat, or the illusive centurion card
IoViaggio is offline  
Old Apr 22, 21, 1:59 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by nhila View Post
Hello everyone. Hoping into the AF forum after years and years and years on AA since thatís where my home/heart/points are.

But my BA leg of my AA routing from LAX to DXB was cancelled a few days ago ... so I booked AF in Business and joined the Flying Blue program.

1. LAX to DXB via CDG will be A 777-300 and a 787-900, I believe. I generally fly the triple 7 on AA so I assume itís all the same in the air. The whisky appears better on AF 😂

2. I studied up that Iím to use the Korean Air lounge at LAX? Correct/wrong?

3. Appears I have 3 hours at CDG so Iíll just use a lounge or is there a particular one you suggest?

4. Return is on KLM (codeshare AF?) through Amsterdam (a few hours). Gonna be weird in Business as itís 2-2-2 and Iím deciding to take a seat in the center section to have easy aisle access.

5. How is this airline? KLM.

6. Last question. Thoughts about using the meet-n-greet service in CDG or even DXB upon arrival? Seems fairly inexpensive to be hand-held.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance
3. If you are leaving from the L gates you will be lucky. The L lounge is miles ahead of the K lounge.
HalconBCN is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: