Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Summer flight on AF cancelled - what is the best option? Ex US to EU

Old Mar 18, 21, 7:51 am
Original Poster

My original flight in business class for August/September on an outbound got cancelled and rescheduled, making an impossible connection in CDG (route: ORF-JFK-CDG-OSL-CDG-DTW-ORF).

Given the restrictions in France, what is the best course of action right now? I am thinking I have a couple of options, but I am not sure what to decide on:
  • Wait with "fixing" the impossible connection in CDG until June/July when there's more clarity on restrictions in France/Netherlands
  • Ask for rerouting via Paris: however, France has some restrictions on transiting passengers? If the flight is to be on AF, what are some best options for a business experience?
  • Ask for rerouting via Amsterdam: if so, what are some best options for a business class experience?
  • Cancel all together, get my money back and book via another airline (e.g. LOT, Lufthansa, etc.)

Last edited by smartytravel; Apr 9, 21 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
It is impossible to say much as of today.

Most airlines have a generous schedule for the summer. Many flights are placeholders based on a usual summer schedule. Many flights on all airlines will not operate.
The situation in France and Poland are getting worse, not better. It might improve by August but to an unpredictable extent.
My own view would be to wait for June to see/guess what will be available for August.Whatever the airline, there will be cancellations.
SFO777, NickB and blairvanhorn like this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:37 am
Original Poster

If there's an impossible connection (20 minutes) in CDG in my current itinerary, am I risking that Air France will completely cancel out my ticket and refund?

How willing Air France is to reschedule on KLM, if it ever comes to that?
Old Mar 18, 21, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smartytravel View Post
If there's an impossible connection (20 minutes) in CDG in my current itinerary, am I risking that Air France will completely cancel out my ticket and refund?

How willing Air France is to reschedule on KLM, if it ever comes to that?
AF will routinely reschedule on KLM where it makes sense so I would not worry about that. Like brunos, I would wait until the schedules start to firm up and start having a look at possible options on AF and/or KL at that point.
Old Mar 18, 21, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The current restrictions in France are irrelevant in your case as you are not going to France and you are just connecting in CDG. There is no restrictions for connecting passengers.
Just wait, flight schedules will change again and again. Call them in may or june and they will rebook you.
Old Mar 18, 21, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would take a look at this roughly 30 days out and make a decision then. No way to predict what the schedule will be, whether you will be permitted at your destination or whether the CDG transit will be permitted.

As it stands, you are entitled to a refund. Why not preserve that option? Whatever you do right now is likely to change again anyway. And then change again.
Old Mar 18, 21, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would take a look at this roughly 30 days out and make a decision then. No way to predict what the schedule will be, whether you will be permitted at your destination or whether the CDG transit will be permitted.

As it stands, you are entitled to a refund. Why not preserve that option? Whatever you do right now is likely to change again anyway. And then change again.
just so I understand: I can simply do nothing and make a decision later, 30 days before the flight? Will AF also allow me to adjust my dates on both outbound and inbound flights by +/- 1 day?
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I wouldn’t wait until 30 days out. Call in June. Smaller chance of changing days unless they truly don’t have routing to accommodate you on your original dates.
Old May 8, 21, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi. Just wanted to see if I should be looking into rebooking options now.

Is France still permitting only French residents or returning EU residents for transfer? I will be visiting my family in Norway (Norwegian citizen), but permanently live in the US.
Old May 8, 21, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Hi. Just wanted to see if I should be looking into rebooking options now.

Is France still permitting only French residents or returning EU residents for transfer? I will be visiting my family in Norway (Norwegian citizen), but permanently live in the US.
there is no problem for you transiting in CDG. And yes, in my opinion, you should look for rebooking options now.
Old May 8, 21, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
there is no problem for you transiting in CDG. And yes, in my opinion, you should look for rebooking options now.
Transit in CDG will not be a problem indeed.Same for AMS. As long as you have the proper tests.

Everyone is hoping that the US-EU restrictions are lifted soon.
The August/September US-EU schedule is currently very optimistic and based on optimistic assumptions. New flights won't be added, but some could be cancelled.
It would be a good idea to rebook now. But be prepared for further changes.
AF should have no problem moving you to KL and DL flights.

In current times and with two connections each way, one cannot be too picky.
PS: If it were me, I would look at the flights that currently operate and prefer to book those. They might be more likely to operate in 4-month time.
Old May 9, 21, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Transit in CDG will not be a problem indeed.Same for AMS. As long as you have the proper tests.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I have an ignorant question: when I was looking at the transit in France, it appears as though France requires "attestation" for admittance to France/EU. I looked through the requirements, and currently, it does not look like I would qualify through France, since my main residence is in the US?

A couple of other questions:
- Does AF require a PCR test conducted 72 hours prior the departure of the first flight on the way to Europe? KL requires a PCR test conducted 72 hours prior to arrival in the Netherlands, correct?
- Which of these planes would you recommend for a business class experience: Air France on B787, Air France on A350, Delta on A350, Delta on A330, or KLM on 777?
Old May 9, 21, 10:18 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hertz Gold, Sixt, ALL Gold
- Which of these planes would you recommend for a business class experience: Air France on B787, Air France on A350, Delta on A350, Delta on A330, or KLM on 777?
Definitely the A350 as it is the newest of all and more comfy than the 787. (Not sure if AF A350 fly to/from US.)
1/ Delta has more privacy (if important to you).
2/ AF 787 always a good choice, F&B may be better than DL.
3/ KL 777 has a wider body but seat configuration 2-2-2. F&B are of lower quality.
4th/ Delta A330 as it is the oldest of them all.
Old May 9, 21, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I have an ignorant question: when I was looking at the transit in France, it appears as though France requires "attestation" for admittance to France/EU. I looked through the requirements, and currently, it does not look like I would qualify through France, since my main residence is in the US?

A couple of other questions:
- Does AF require a PCR test conducted 72 hours prior the departure of the first flight on the way to Europe? KL requires a PCR test conducted 72 hours prior to arrival in the Netherlands, correct?
To travel nowadays, you need a PhD in international bureaucracy and mental disorders
AF or France do not require test for transit passengers, so only the requirements of your destination country are important here if you transit in CDG. The Netherlands indeed require a PCR test if you transit in AMS and the sample should be taken no later than 72hrs before arrival time in AMS.
For your question about planes, I have never flown the A350 yet (all my booked flights last year on this plane have been cancelled). But I think Yollow has given you a good classification. The B787 with AF is not a bad choice as it is the BEST seat in J. But the A350 is more recent, so it should be even better.
Enjoy
milesaddict likes this.
Old May 9, 21, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

To travel nowadays, you need a PhD in international bureaucracy and mental disorders
This and only this.

I am surprised to hear that the PCR test is not required.

On the Air France page, it says that the PCR test is required: "As of August 1, new entry requirements for France will take effect mandating negative COVID-19 test (PCR test) results before boarding any Air France flight to France. Passengers departing from the United States are required to have a negative COVID-19 test (PCR test) taken 72 hours before departure."

So which one is it?

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local...equirement.htm

Last edited by smartytravel; May 9, 21 at 3:05 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: