Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying Business on Air France From LAX to paris - Travel Hacker Ninja needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Business on Air France From LAX to paris - Travel Hacker Ninja needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Would chime in with my experience from my trip in August booked via miles (SFO-CDG-PRG and PRG-AMS-SFO). About 5-10% occupancy, I flew in J (about 8 pax in J on SFO-CDG and I was solo pax in J on AMS-SFO). So pretty sure on the 777 Y pax had the 4 seater all for themselves. I came to the gate in SFO 2-3 minutes after they announced boarding and everybody has boarded the plane pretty much.

Traveled in J on miles. Despite booking flight for the next week last minute, literally EVERY FLIGHT (i.e flight that was the day after booking) had the cheapest miles cost ever. 53000 + 250 USD miles in J each way. Compare it with paid ticket was around 8000 USD. Obviously with empty planes there's no award availability issues
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by la_cigogne
Alright thank you drjeffrock, Romanianflyer and Goldorak ! (you guys restored my faith in this forum)

I just booked the first leg (no discount for booking RT vs OW) for 67.5k + $220 on 12/23. Not my best miles efficiency but not awful.

Data point : out of the 16 seats in J, 4 were still available, so I could have waited more but not tooooooo long either.

Happy Holidays for the ones who tried to help and stay safe !
I hope you had a nice flight. So, what did you end up booking for the return?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:11 am
Original Poster

I m stuck in France right now, hoping to fly back in late January.

For the return ( CDG-LAX ) I ll probably fly economy (booking the flight through VA for 15k pts + $200) there are (obviously!) plenty of availability !
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
It may be possible but far from certain if you want to upgrade with miles. Your best bet would be to buy a revenue Y ticket (from AF, DL or VS) and hope for a paid upgrade at check-in. But no guarantee and the price of the upgrade may not suit you.
if I may do a suggestion for the PAX who bet on upgrades at on line check in : the prices and chance of proposals are depending from your status and travel habits. Usually the more premium you travel, the more expensive the upgrades are !
So by purchasing your ticket in Y, do not register your frequent flyer card number as AF identifies you through your FFP number .
AZ112 and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:33 am

And of course you can claim miles back afterwards . The process is quite smooth via the Flying Blue website.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Bullspread
And of course you can claim miles back afterwards . The process is quite smooth via the Flying Blue website.
Nice trick, but does that mean you have to give up your Elite+ privileges (if relevant)?
Or can you add your FB number at OLCI to enjoy the seat selection, lounge access, priority boarding if you decide not to take the upgrade?
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
Nice trick, but does that mean you have to give up your Elite+ privileges (if relevant)?
Or can you add your FB number at OLCI to enjoy the seat selection, lounge access, priority boarding if you decide not to take the upgrade?
Yes, the idea is to check at OLCI if you get an interesting upgrade offer as Lambda PAX.
Once checked you can show your card at the lounge or at airport for luggage or you can ask any agent to insert your FB Number to update your reservation
blairvanhorn and maalloc like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:01 am

I see, that's a well-thought strategy.

Do we have any data points about how different upgrade prices are between naive travellers and Elite+ members?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
I see, that's a well-thought strategy.

Do we have any data points about how different upgrade prices are between naive travellers and Elite+ members?
On a EU flight for instance I have been proposed early last year a Y to C upgrade at 349€ (I am ULTI with frequent travel in P and J) and my colleague with a Gold status(mostly traveling in Y) booked with the same bucket class received an upgrade offer at 69€ !

Most generally i receive very few upgrade proposals when I flight Y even if upper cabins are far to be full.
Discussing this topic with F&F , it seems that they receive nearly systematically upgrade proposals (which could be of course a bargain or very expensive...)

Last edited by Bullspread; Jan 11, 2021 at 4:17 am
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:13 am

That certainly warrants the hassle if someone is fishing for upgrades indeed!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Bullspread
Yes, the idea is to check at OLCI if you get an interesting upgrade offer as Lambda PAX.
Once checked you can show your card at the lounge or at airport for luggage or you can ask any agent to insert your FB Number to update your reservation
Only thing is, this means that you have to book without signing into your profile. I've tried stunts like this over at Lufthansa and I found that the system tends to recognize my name and automatically assigns my FF number to the booking. But then, I have an unusual name, so it's probably easy for them to spot.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
Only thing is, this means that you have to book without signing into your profile. I've tried stunts like this over at Lufthansa and I found that the system tends to recognize my name and automatically assigns my FF number to the booking. But then, I have an unusual name, so it's probably easy for them to spot.
Unusual name or not, it would be risky of them to assign a FF number to anybody they find with the same (even unusual) name. Did you add phone and/or email address to the booking that they could have used to identify you?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Solevita
Unusual name or not, it would be risky of them to assign a FF number to anybody they find with the same (even unusual) name. Did you add phone and/or email address to the booking that they could have used to identify you?
Yes, I am pretty sure that the match is based on other data than just the name: phone, address, credit card used are all potential candidates for a match.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, certainly that will be the case, no doubt both the mobile phone number and email.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: too many
Up until a few years ago (last done in 2016 I believe), any airlines on Amadeus would validate the FFP based on either:
Last name only
Last name and 1st letter of the 1st name

Not sure whether this is the case now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.