Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AF keeping Middle seat empty in economy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Is AF keeping Middle seat empty in economy?

Flying ATL-CDG-BOM. For the segment CDG-BOM, it is AF 218. This is a Delta ticket. Does AF Keeps the middle seat empty? I called AF to upgrade to Business class but they won't since it is a delta ticket and delta quotes around 3000$.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Flying ATL-CDG-BOM. For the segment CDG-BOM, it is AF 218. This is a Delta ticket. Does AF Keeps the middle seat empty? I called AF to upgrade to Business class but they won't since it is a delta ticket and delta quotes around 3000$.
They do not. You might be lucky and flight load be low enough not to have someone. Considering you’re flying in and out of destinations with loads of restrictions, that might very well be the case.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: FB Gold
None of the major European airlines block middle seats, so it will depend on the load factor of your flight.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
None of the major European airlines block middle seats, so it will depend on the load factor of your flight.
Blocking the middle seat in Economy Class would cannibalize their Business Class product 😄
offvoice, hhdl, Wil973 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Absolutely not. Flew ATH-CDG last night-- maybe 5 empty seats on the whole plane.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
The middle seats aren't blocked but the filling of the plane is done by starting on the windows and aisle, the middle being filled only if necessary to accommodate the load.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
CDG/TXL : A320. Every window and aisle seat occupied, plus some odd middle seats -not many, only a few).

TXL/CDG: they switched from the planned A320 to an A319 at the last moment (I realised I had been moved from 2nd exit row aisle seat 12C) to a only exit row middle seat (10E).

I complained about being stacked in a smaller plane than planned and their answer has been that they regretted "that I had been an allocated a seat different from the one I had chosen" and "the inconvenience caused" as If I had complained about comfort when I had made it clear it was about health and safety.

In short : they dont' care.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Depends on how full the flight is.

If they can block the middle seats, they will do it when they will open OLCI.

On long haul, flights are mostly empty, so if travelling alone, you will most likely have nobody near you and maybe nobody on the whole row.

If it is like 70% full, and it is a long haul flight, the crew uses an iPad after take off to redispatch the passengers (if they want to do so), so that almost everybody can socially distance.

And indeed, their business class product is "cannibalized" on long haul flights : full flex tickets with light fare, empty planes so you can rest fully flat, and very attentive service due to low occupancy. Champagne ? Air France serves it in long haul economy (not the best but it is here).

I had a very good experience travelling AF on long haul economy flights during the pandemic, enjoy your flight.

Last edited by IstKong; Sep 15, 2020 at 10:00 am
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
CDG/TXL : A320. Every window and aisle seat occupied, plus some odd middle seats -not many, only a few).

TXL/CDG: they switched from the planned A320 to an A319 at the last moment (I realised I had been moved from 2nd exit row aisle seat 12C) to a only exit row middle seat (10E).

I complained about being stacked in a smaller plane than planned and their answer has been that they regretted "that I had been an allocated a seat different from the one I had chosen" and "the inconvenience caused" as If I had complained about comfort when I had made it clear it was about health and safety.

In short : they dont' care.
Hi Carnavon
if you’ve been to TXL recently, would you mind sharing your experience about the Covid test/German requirements in this thread :
COVID testing in Paris Airport
I think we are several interested.
JOUY31 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Hi Carnavon
if you’ve been to TXL recently, would you mind sharing your experience about the Covid test/German requirements in this thread :
COVID testing in Paris Airport
I think we are several interested.
Hi Goldorak.

Little to say .

Only got a paper from German health authorities saying that if we had been to an infected area (or something akin to it) or had symptoms, we should report to health authorities.

Other than that, nothing.... Everything went as usual. No passport control on arrival (Schengen in full force)....

Same thing upon departure.
blairvanhorn and Goldorak like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Flight to/from Italy are mandatory to have the middle seat block on all flights

Flew 5 times LIN-PAR with AZ and AF in July and August all 10 flights had middle seats blocked
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AurelAF96

Flew 5 times LIN-PAR with AZ and AF in July and August all 10 flights had middle seats blocked
Good to know
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum

Flew several times CDG - FCO and AMS - FCO in ausgust on both AZ as AF and never saw a blocked middle seat in Y.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by DrLudwig
Flew several times CDG - FCO and AMS - FCO in ausgust on both AZ as AF and never saw a blocked middle seat in Y.
I'm on AZ flight from CDG to FCO

All middle seats blocked so...

Moreover Italy's air regulation (ENAC) is dealing with Ryanair about some flights of Ryanair where their is not blocked middle seats
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum
I'm on AZ flight from CDG to FCO

All middle seats blocked so...

Moreover Italy's air regulation (ENAC) is dealing with Ryanair about some flights of Ryanair where their is not blocked middle seats
Happy to see you have middle seats free (should you fly in Y). Airlines are not required to keep middle seats free as long as they adhere to ENAC‘s other rules (masks, social distancing when boarding etc). These other rules where not adhered to by Ryanair. Have a look at: https://www.corriere.it/cronache/20_...dd8eef08.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.