Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Goldorak
It seems that reciprocity for US is not anymore on the table for France. And the list of non-EU countries allowed for France will be known next week.
https://www.lechotouristique.com/art...aine-prochaine
So I believe our American friends can be confident to be allowed from June 9. But modalities remain to be known (vaccinated only, tests, etc).
We shall see. What I really want to know is if French citizens and residents will be allowed to travel to the USA without a motif impérieux. This quote is rather amazing in its opacity and evasiveness:

Les Français pourront-ils, cet été, traverser l’Atlantique, sur le principe d’un accord de réciprocité ? A cette question de L’Echo touristique, le secrétaire d’Etat a répondu que la réciprocité n’était « pas un prérequis ni un préalable. D’ailleurs, au niveau international, nous n’avons pas forcément exigé la réciprocité quand on a déclaré notre territoire ouvert à certains ressortissants. Elle n’a été demandée, de mémoire, que pour la Chine et Hong Kong. (…) Il est compliqué de mettre en place la réciprocité étant donné que, parfois, les situations sanitaires ne sont pas les mêmes entre pays émetteurs et récepteurs. »
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
We shall see. What I really want to know is if French citizens and residents will be allowed to travel to the USA without a motif impérieux. This quote is rather amazing in its opacity and evasiveness:
It's been already announced that the compelling reason to travel outside EU will be no longer required from June 9, with some exceptions (some DOM-TOM like RUN, CAY, SXM (?) and I believe some red countries). But it doesn't mean that you are accepted in the destination country of course. I think all our hopes are now with the G7 summit.
blairvanhorn and kthomas like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by El Boocho
1)For sure, and I have been watching closely. For me the confusion has been how will the authorities treat passengers who are in theory allowed to enter, but transit a banned country (or one that requires quarantine). This assumes June 9 will go as announced and we are allowed to enter. I've given up on actually visiting the UK this time. The French regulations just say "people travelling to France from the UK." Technically transit passengers are traveling from the UK, but in practice never enter the county and wouldn't need to go through C&I in the UK. Perhaps it is a red herring, but Singapore of all places allowed passengers to transit SIN during covid. You just had to keep going somewhere else.
2/3) Agreed. Hoping this changes and it gets announced soon. Time is running short for the French government to get the regulations announced and implemented in time for the announced date.
4) As you say the rules changed yesterday, but my passport would have had a stamp with a date, no? I'm not keen on lying anyway.
5) That's why we are skipping the UK. Even if it was only 5 days, with multiple tests, which is how I have read the regulations quarantine that would be pointless.

I have a feeling it is all going to work out, but time is short and it is stressing me out a bit. The trip has been postponed 3 times. These dates were chosen a while back, long before we knew what was going to shake out. Had I known where we would be today, I would have booked for early July, rather than as soon as my kids got out of school.
The issue is not whether CDG, LHR, HKG or SIN allow transit, they do. Your issue is whether France consider a pax arriving from UK, but only transiting there, as a UK or US arrival. This is currently a big issue if you are arriving on QR/EK/TK/EY.
But you change your plans so that is a moot point.
El Boocho likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's been already announced that the compelling reason to travel outside EU will be no longer required from June 9, with some exceptions (some DOM-TOM like RUN, CAY, SXM (?) and I believe some red countries). But it doesn't mean that you are accepted in the destination country of course. I think all our hopes are now with the G7 summit.
Do you have a French official source?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:40 pm

Very good. I wouldn't be surprised to see the DL service cancelled, but if that happens, they will rebook you on AF metal.
Seems like there is demand. They’ve been flying it 2x/day. Lots of AF flights from US gateways too. Not sure what the back looks like, but on my day of travel there were 6 j seats left on my flight (2 now) and only 3 on the other ATL flight. Something less than 4 on the DTW-CDG flight. Not sure about the DL flight via JFK. All the cool kids go to France
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Perhaps it is a red herring, but Singapore of all places allowed passengers to transit SIN during covid. You just had to keep going somewhere else.
Don't want to be pedantic but Singapore's transit during covid has a lot of strings attached. You can only transit to an from certain airlines and only from certain destinations.
For a while any person that had been in the UK during the past 14 could not even board a flight to SIN if they weren't a citizen or PR. Same applies for India.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
Do you have a French official source?
see my post #1218 in this thread where I shared the detailed plan de déconfinement. June 9 is the date of reopening to international travelers. Even if it is not mentioned in this document that this is the end of the compelling reason for French citizens/residents of France to travel abroad, it is obvious as it would not make sense to open the borders only in one direction. Everyone agreed in this thread that it was the interpretation to have. Of course, we know that some countries and some French overseas territories will still be restricted (both ways) post June 9. And even for allowed countries to come to France, we don’t know the eventual restrictions (vaccinated only +/- test, etc).
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Seems like there is demand. They’ve been flying it 2x/day. Lots of AF flights from US gateways too. Not sure what the back looks like, but on my day of travel there were 6 j seats left on my flight (2 now) and only 3 on the other ATL flight. Something less than 4 on the DTW-CDG flight. Not sure about the DL flight via JFK. All the cool kids go to France
There is for sure demand, but even if the borders are fully reopen between US and UE, I doubt that in one or 2 months from now, the full schedule from LAX would be operational and full. For LAX, I am talking about 2 to 3 daily AF flights, one DL and you even need to add the TN flights. And, within Skyteam, LAX-CDG is clearly « an AF route », so if they have to cancel flights, the DL one will be the 1st to get axed. IMO.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
New official EU web site and app for planning European travel:

Re-open EU provides information on the various measures in place, including on quarantine and testing requirements for travellers, the EU Digital COVID certificate to help you exercise your right to free movement, and mobile coronavirus contact tracing and warning apps. The information is updated frequently and available in 24 languages. This should help you plan your travel in Europe, while staying safe and healthy.
https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

https://reopen.europa.eu/fr/
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indeed, all DL flights seem almost fully booked in J during June. You should be fine.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:57 am

In the US, or at least in California, the government officials posted very specific requirements for what could open and when. Like the targets or not, it was helpful to have solid targets that could be measured against. Perhaps some countries are doing this, but it would be nice if more countries (including the US) would provide some thresholds at which entry would be allowed. Put whatever restrictions you want on it, but provide people with the information to make informed decisions. At this point the situation is really not that fluid for the most part. Sure, Colombia is blowing up, but that seems to be an outlier in terms of direction and scale. Even with the delta variant, the UK seems to be managing it pretty well.

Last edited by El Boocho; Jun 2, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
You cannot do it unless you spent more than 14 days in Spain.
"Les voyageurs arrivant d’un État de l’espace européen mais ayant séjourné dans les 14 jours précédant leur arrivée dans un État extérieur à l’espace européen, doivent respecter la procédure applicable aux voyageurs arrivant d’un État extérieur à l’espace européen." (The UK procedure still applies if you spent less than 14 days in your stop-over Schengen country). Source.
The quarantine from the UK is seven days. If you arrive in France after having spent 7 days in Spain, would you have to quarantine or not?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
The quarantine from the UK is seven days. If you arrive in France after having spent 7 days in Spain, would you have to quarantine or not?
If you are to believe the Ministere de l'Interieur website, yes you would have to.
Less than 14 days in EU -> Normal procedure applies -> 7 day quarantine on arrival.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
If you are to believe the Ministere de l'Interieur website, yes you would have to.
Less than 14 days in EU -> Normal procedure applies -> 7 day quarantine on arrival.
That's bonkers. Not that many things aren't these days. Though I can't imagine the Ministère bothering with such cases.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting read about the details of unlocking plan for France. The part relative to travels is on pages 7 to 9.
https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/de...e_mai_2021.pdf

From this paragraph on page 8 « Pour les voyageurs entrant en France, depuis un pays hors Union européenne, les flux touristiques seront réouverts à compter du 9 juin en fonction de la situation sanitaire de ces pays. », I understand it as the end of need for compelling reason to travel outside EU. Do you have the same reading as me ?
Thank you Goldorak.

I am quite aware of this tentative plan prepared early May and published 4 weeks ago.
I was wondering if there was any official confirmation regarding travel from non-EU countries..Especially since the number of cases is still very high and does not seem to go down any more.
Most important is the list of countries green, orange red and their restrictions.

Of course, I am interested for my Hong Kong friends who would like to come to France. And it is sad to see that, politically, France sides with China and does not treat Hong Kong separately as do some other EU countries. HK is probably in the top list of covid safety with no unlinked local cases for over a month and even no local cases for most of it. Much better than most/all countries currently on the French green list (e.g. Singapore, Japan, South Korea). But France keeps punishing Hong Kong. The reciprocity argument is a red herring as most of the green list countries do not offer reciprocity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.