Old May 31, 2021, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The official requirements from/to UK have now been posted:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel

As expected:
- Travel only with compelling reason
- voluntary self-isolation 7 days plus test at the end.

It seems to me that the only difference with other non-EEA countries (not the red countries) is that the test needs to be taken 48h before departure.

How that will change on 9 June is everyone guess.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Boocho
I currently have tickets in mid June (after June 9) LAX- LHR with a return 2 weeks later CDG – LAX. The original plan was a week in the UK and a week in France. Given the new rules around travel from the UK to France my current plan is to skip the week in the UK and spend both weeks in France. I’m not sure how easy (or reasonably priced) it will be to change our arrival to avoid a transit in London. I’ve been reading and trying to find info on whether transit is problematic and invokes the quarantines upon arrival in France. However, I haven’t found anything conclusive. Has anyone seen information on point to the scenario?
I am hoping the airline will allow me to make a change due to Covid restrictions, but if they don’t my next best option seems to be buying a one-way ticket from LHR to NCE. Thanks for any assistance understanding the regulations or suggestions on the best way to do this.
Is your itinerary all on AF? LAX-CDG-LHR then CDG-LAX?
What is your nationality?
Old May 31, 2021, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Is your itinerary all on AF? LAX-CDG-LHR then CDG-LAX?
What is your nationality?
Out bound is VS, return is AF/DL so a mix, but the most confusing part for me is the VS sector. I recognize this is the AF forum, but you guys here have the best info and are the most knowledgeable on current France entry requirements.
We all (2 adults, an 11 year old and a 9 year old) will be traveling on US passports. Thanks!
Old May 31, 2021, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It seems to me that the only difference with other non-EEA countries (not the red countries) is that the test needs to be taken 48h before departure..
There is another difference : antigenic test is accepted coming from U.K. !
NickB, blairvanhorn and kthomas like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
There is another difference : antigenic test is accepted coming from U.K. !
I missed that one. Frankly, that is quite unbelievable.
Let me summarize according to Origin:

EU and most other countries: RT-PCR 72h
Red countries (India,..): RT-PCR 36h OR PCR 72h+antigenic 24h
UK : RT-PCR 48h OR antigenic 48h

BTW: Funny that the translator used "antigenic" rather than "antigen"
blairvanhorn likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Jun 1, 2021 at 2:01 am
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Out bound is VS, return is AF/DL so a mix, but the most confusing part for me is the VS sector. I recognize this is the AF forum, but you guys here have the best info and are the most knowledgeable on current France entry requirements.
We all (2 adults, an 11 year old and a 9 year old) will be traveling on US passports. Thanks!
It would make sense if you did look at the official websites for entry in each country.
For France:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel

Currently, your family is not allowed to enter France.You would need a compelling reason. You can see what those are by downloading the certificate to fill ("Travel to/from another country outside EU").
There has been interviews that this might change on 9 June, but nothing firm yet. Keep watching the news.

If you arrive from UK, you might have tried to claim that you are currently staying in the UK and have a more favorable regime. Up to 1 June, you did not need a compelling reason. But as of today you also need a compelling reason. The motivation is to avoid the Indian variant which is spreading in the UK..

For entry into the UK, you will need to quarantine for 10 days if you stay enter UK:
https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Again, this restriction is likely to change in the near future. But the covid situation is evolving so fast, that it is hard to forecast.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:51 am

1)It would make sense if you did look at the official websites for entry in each country.
SNIP
2)Currently, your family is not allowed to enter France.
SNIP
3)There has been interviews that this might change on 9 June, but nothing firm yet. Keep watching the news.
SNIP
4)If you arrive from UK, you might have tried to claim that you are currently staying in the UK and have a more favorable regime.
SNIP
5)For entry into the UK, you will need to quarantine for 10 days if you stay enter UK:
1)For sure, and I have been watching closely. For me the confusion has been how will the authorities treat passengers who are in theory allowed to enter, but transit a banned country (or one that requires quarantine). This assumes June 9 will go as announced and we are allowed to enter. I've given up on actually visiting the UK this time. The French regulations just say "people travelling to France from the UK." Technically transit passengers are traveling from the UK, but in practice never enter the county and wouldn't need to go through C&I in the UK. Perhaps it is a red herring, but Singapore of all places allowed passengers to transit SIN during covid. You just had to keep going somewhere else.
2/3) Agreed. Hoping this changes and it gets announced soon. Time is running short for the French government to get the regulations announced and implemented in time for the announced date.
4) As you say the rules changed yesterday, but my passport would have had a stamp with a date, no? I'm not keen on lying anyway.
5) That's why we are skipping the UK. Even if it was only 5 days, with multiple tests, which is how I have read the regulations quarantine that would be pointless.

I have a feeling it is all going to work out, but time is short and it is stressing me out a bit. The trip has been postponed 3 times. These dates were chosen a while back, long before we knew what was going to shake out. Had I known where we would be today, I would have booked for early July, rather than as soon as my kids got out of school.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
I have a business trip to France in early July from the UK, but I cannot enter France directly from the UK under the current regulations. However, I have another business trip to Spain to arrange and I am considering going to Spain first and then travelling from Spain to France. From the English-language documents on the French government website there does not seem to be anything stopping me doing this, despite my UK passport, and I just need a PCR test and an attestation. Am I missing something in the French-language small print or am I OK with this plan?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Ardecos
I have a business trip to France in early July from the UK, but I cannot enter France directly from the UK under the current regulations. However, I have another business trip to Spain to arrange and I am considering going to Spain first and then travelling from Spain to France. From the English-language documents on the French government website there does not seem to be anything stopping me doing this, despite my UK passport, and I just need a PCR test and an attestation. Am I missing something in the French-language small print or am I OK with this plan?
You cannot do it unless you spent more than 14 days in Spain.
"Les voyageurs arrivant d’un État de l’espace européen mais ayant séjourné dans les 14 jours précédant leur arrivée dans un État extérieur ŕ l’espace européen, doivent respecter la procédure applicable aux voyageurs arrivant d’un État extérieur ŕ l’espace européen." (The UK procedure still applies if you spent less than 14 days in your stop-over Schengen country). Source.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by maalloc
You cannot do it unless you spent more than 14 days in Spain.
"Les voyageurs arrivant d’un État de l’espace européen mais ayant séjourné dans les 14 jours précédant leur arrivée dans un État extérieur ŕ l’espace européen, doivent respecter la procédure applicable aux voyageurs arrivant d’un État extérieur ŕ l’espace européen." (The UK procedure still applies if you spent less than 14 days in your stop-over Schengen country). Source.
Thanks, I had a feeling it seemed too easy. Since I wil lbe doing work for the French government, I have to hope they will be able to produce a convincing exemption reason.
maalloc likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I missed that one. Frankly, that is quite unbelievable.
you know...we have seen so many unbelievable things in all countries since March 2020 that nothing is surprising me anymore. One thing I am sure about is that this virus is definitely targeting the brain. Hopefully the damages may not be permanent
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:09 pm

Well, partially straightened out. Virgin cancelled my flight to LHR and I convinced the Delta agent to rebook us LAX-CDG (unfortunately it's on Delta metal and not the AF direct, but I saw avoiding the potential UK problem as a win, so I didn't press my luck. Now I just need June 9 opening to become a reality
brunos, kthomas and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Well, partially straightened out. Virgin cancelled my flight to LHR and I convinced the Delta agent to rebook us LAX-CDG (unfortunately it's on Delta metal and not the AF direct, but I saw avoiding the potential UK problem as a win, so I didn't press my luck. Now I just need June 9 opening to become a reality
Very good. I wouldn't be surprised to see the DL service cancelled, but if that happens, they will rebook you on AF metal.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

It seems that reciprocity for US is not anymore on the table for France. And the list of non-EU countries allowed for France will be known next week.
https://www.lechotouristique.com/art...aine-prochaine
So I believe our American friends can be confident to be allowed from June 9. But modalities remain to be known (vaccinated only, tests, etc).
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:43 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Goldorak
It seems that reciprocity for US is not anymore on the table for France. And the list of non-EU countries allowed for France will be known next week.
https://www.lechotouristique.com/art...aine-prochaine
So I believe our American friends can be confident to be allowed from June 9. But modalities remain to be known (vaccinated only, tests, etc).
Thing about the green list is that it includes countries like Australia, Thailand, whose citizens are barred or discouraged from traveling abroad.

But even if they arrived in France, without testing requirements or facing quarantines because of low prevalence in this countries, are they more safe than vaccinated Americans or UK tourists?

The policy makers are weighing the probability of low prevalence/low vaccination countries like Australia being infectious vs. the probability of vaccinated Americans being infectious. There aren't definitive studies about the infectiousness of vaccinated people but if you don't believe vaccination can first protect people from severe disease or death and second to reduce spread, then why are you trying to vaccinate the whole population?

Either you believe in these vaccines or you don't.

EU policy makers didn't want to bar unvaccinated people from travel. But it should be the case that vaccinated people are far less likely to spread disease than an unvaccinated person who got a PCR test 72 hours before arrival or an unvaccinated Australian or Thai.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.