Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
British are, by far, the largest foreign owners of second home in France. Either as main residence or holiday home. I heard numbers like 200,000. They will be strongly affected by the quarantine restrictions.
In a normal year, there would be about 10 million UK visitors to France. Second home owners are a fairly small proportion of them. My main point is that Brits are likely to have already been put off coming to France due to France being (and likely to remain at least for the forthcoming weeks) on the amber list. Those new French restrictions won't substantially alter those plans, I would have thought (whether for second-home owners or 'ordinary' tourists). I would have thought that French nationals residing in the UK (or, indeed, UK nationals residing in France) would be more likely to be the ones to still contemplate travel between France and the UK for non-essential reasons notwithstanding the listing of France on the UK amber list and therefore the more likely to be affected by the new restrictions.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
I've been trying to read up on this in the press this morning, and as usual, it's all rather nebulous. According to Le Figaro, Attal said yesterday that the strict quarantine measure for UK travelers would enter into effect next Monday, but that due to the low incidence of Covid in the UK, no home quarantine controls would be carried out by the police ... So it's a "strict" red list quarantine without any supervision. 🙄
The fact that they were talking of having to define modalities suggests that it would indeed be less than the full schilling, otherwise it would simply be a matter of adding the country to the list and that is it, without any particular need for adaptation. THis is somewhat reminiscent of the "voluntary" quarantine of last year, mutatis mutandis.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by NickB
The fact that they were talking of having to define modalities suggests that it would indeed be less than the full schilling, otherwise it would simply be a matter of adding the country to the list and that is it, without any particular need for adaptation.
Good point, NickB.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
The fact that they were talking of having to define modalities suggests that it would indeed be less than the full schilling, otherwise it would simply be a matter of adding the country to the list and that is it, without any particular need for adaptation. THis is somewhat reminiscent of the "voluntary" quarantine of last year, mutatis mutandis.
I expect the same as well but it raises a lot of questions
Different measures will be implemented for red list countries . Will UK be a green country in the red country list ?

How to make it even more difficult for travelling pax...
blairvanhorn and Goldorak like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matmatlr
I expect the same as well but it raises a lot of questions
Different measures will be implemented for red list countries . Will UK be a green country in the red country list ?

How to make it even more difficult for travelling pax...
As someone potentially directly affected by this, I will take "difficult" in a heartbeat over what would be the most likely alternative.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
In a normal year, there would be about 10 million UK visitors to France. Second home owners are a fairly small proportion of them. My main point is that Brits are likely to have already been put off coming to France due to France being (and likely to remain at least for the forthcoming weeks) on the amber list. Those new French restrictions won't substantially alter those plans, I would have thought (whether for second-home owners or 'ordinary' tourists). I would have thought that French nationals residing in the UK (or, indeed, UK nationals residing in France) would be more likely to be the ones to still contemplate travel between France and the UK for non-essential reasons notwithstanding the listing of France on the UK amber list and therefore the more likely to be affected by the new restrictions.
You may be quite right. And we don't know yet the exact requirements.
I was not comparing to the situation in the past summers. Rather to 1) France open but on UK Amber list and 2) France on UK Amber list and requiring a compelling reason plus 10-day compulsory quarantine.
I don't know what will happen in July or August.
I agree that a lot of British tourists will be deterred by the Amber status anyway. But among those who were planning to travel anyway in June, a significant proportion of those might decide otherwise.
French nationals residing in the UK (or, indeed, UK nationals residing in France) might indeed change their plan for June. But I have many British friends near my summer house in the south of France. This is a second home, so they do not qualify as French residents and will, theoretically, not be allowed into France.

But I think that the French government is quite embarrassed after the statement by Attal.
NickB and blairvanhorn like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to Alex Holroyd's (Deputé (LREM) for Northern Europe) newsletter to UK-based French nationals, the rules for French nationals for travel from the UK to France from Monday are as follows:
Originally Posted by Alexandre Holroyd's newsletter

Trčs concrčtement, les Français et leur famille se rendant en France ŕ compter de lundi devront :
  1. Présenter un test PCR ou antigénique négatif de moins de 48h ŕ leur arrivée en France. La seule différence avec le régime en vigueur aujourd’hui est donc la réduction du délai pour présenter le test qui passe de 72h ŕ 48h. Les tests antigéniques seront acceptés, ce qui n’était pas le cas auparavant.
  2. Il leur sera demandé d’observer une période d’auto-isolement de 7 jours. Cet isolement volontaire ne fera pas l’objet de contrôle au domicile comme c’est le cas actuellement pour d’autres pays. Il est recommandé d’effectuer un second test PCR gratuit au terme de ces 7 jours, comme c’est le cas aujourd’hui.
Dans l’optique d’ętre le plus clair possible et au regard de certaines informations erronées qui sont diffusées, les Françaises, Français et leur famille se rendant en France :
  • Ne devront pas justifier d’un motif quelconque pour rentrer en France. Ils sont libres de venir en France, quelle que soit la raison qui motive ce déplacement.
  • Ne devront pas faire l’objet d’un isolement obligatoire de 14 jours sujet ŕ contrôle comme c’est le cas pour certains pays.
blairvanhorn and Goldorak like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
According to Alex Holroyd's (Deputé (LREM) for Northern Europe) newsletter to UK-based French nationals, the rules for French nationals for travel from the UK to France from Monday are as follows:
Wow. This is quite a difference from what one might have suspected from Attal’s briefing the other day. In fact, it seems to me fairly encouraging: antigenic tests accepted, no compelling reason necessary, voluntary quarantine, etc.
NickB likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Wow. This is quite a difference from what one might have suspected from Attal’s briefing the other day. In fact, it seems to me fairly encouraging: antigenic tests accepted, no compelling reason necessary, voluntary quarantine, etc.
tout ça pour ça...
Old May 27, 2021, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldorak
tout ça pour ça...
😂😂
Old May 27, 2021, 4:26 pm

That "mandatory but uncontrolled" quarantine for UK arrivals seems like a load of typical Latin bureaucratic nonsense (speaking as an Italian!). Just a pain in the neck for me because, as an EU but non-French citizen who lives in the UK, I had planned to go to Paris from LHR on 18 June to visit a friend. Now, since I don't have a motif impérieux, I have to take a detour via MAD. (Hoping that the situation in Spain doesn't change in the meantime.) When will this nightmare be over?
Old May 27, 2021, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. Paradoxically, for French nationals in the UK (but not for UK nationals), it makes it easier rather than more difficult compared to the current situation. Reading between the lines, what seems to be happening in France is similar to what seems to be happening in the UK, viz. there seems to be inner battles within the government with some pulling in one direction and others pulling in the other, hence what looks like contradictory moves when looked at from outside.
blairvanhorn and maalloc like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If that is confirmed, I would not want to be checking tests at CDG.
For RT-PCR tests there will now be 3 deadlines: 72h is the general requirement, 48h for UK arrivals (could be antigen 48h), 36h for red arrivals.(but can be 72h+antigen 24h).

Holroyd stated that the 14-day quarantine will not apply for UK, does he mean that the 10-day compulsory quarantine for red countries has been extended to 14 days?

I just noticed the text published by the French Embassy in London:
https://uk.ambafrance.org/France-tig...om-31-May-2021

"France tightens restrictions on travel from UK to France from 31 May 2021

Given the development of the so-called Indian variant, health measures have been tightened for people travelling to France from the UK.

As such, from 00.00 on the morning of Monday 31 May:

compelling reasons will be required for foreign nationals outside the EU not resident in France to travel to France from the UK;

a PCR or antigen test less than 48 hours old will be required from anyone travelling to France from the UK;

on their arrival, travellers are obliged to self-isolate for seven days. Due to the low incidence of Covid in the UK, for the moment they will not be subject to systematic checks where they are staying."
If I read it correctly, EU nationals can still enter France from UK without compelling reasons:
"compelling reasons will be required for foreign nationals outside the EU not resident in France to travel to France from the UK";

But compulsory self-isolation without check (for the moment).
blairvanhorn likes this.

Last edited by brunos; May 27, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Old May 27, 2021, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
If I read it correctly, EU nationals can still enter France from UK without compelling reasons:
"compelling reasons will be required for foreign nationals outside the EU not resident in France to travel to France from the UK";
I read this the same way, but caveat emptor ... and, as you say, checking tests at CDG will not be for the faint-hearted.

Last edited by blairvanhorn; May 28, 2021 at 6:57 am
Old May 31, 2021, 11:39 am

I currently have tickets in mid June (after June 9) LAX- LHR with a return 2 weeks later CDG – LAX. The original plan was a week in the UK and a week in France. Given the new rules around travel from the UK to France my current plan is to skip the week in the UK and spend both weeks in France. I’m not sure how easy (or reasonably priced) it will be to change our arrival to avoid a transit in London. I’ve been reading and trying to find info on whether transit is problematic and invokes the quarantines upon arrival in France. However, I haven’t found anything conclusive. Has anyone seen information on point to the scenario?
I am hoping the airline will allow me to make a change due to Covid restrictions, but if they don’t my next best option seems to be buying a one-way ticket from LHR to NCE. Thanks for any assistance understanding the regulations or suggestions on the best way to do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.