COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Old Feb 14, 21, 8:25 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
indeed, this is really the biggest worry at that stage. And to give an excuse to the airlines, their work to determine eligibility to travel has become a nightmare. Many official sites are full of mistakes, as well as Traveldoc and Timatic, or simply impossible to understand. Look at the Poland conditions of entry, it is absolutely laughable. The list is almost 1km long and youre lost after the 2nd bullet point. Just to share my own experience about Italy : Italy is pretty open at the moment to EU travelers, with the exception of a few regions in the south mostly. Only condition is a test. I checked that from the official sources (French embassy in Italy linking to some Italian websites), But 2 days before leaving to Italy, I just checked in Traveldoc and it was saying that I needed a compelling reason to enter Italy. I looked at Timatic and didnt see that restriction but they were saying that self-isolation was compulsory. I then spent several hours to check through different official websites. For the Italian ones, you need also to check the regional sites because regions are free to impose whatever additional restrictions to the national ones and all their websites are in Italian only. So you need to use Google Trad. During this wonderful work, I also discovered that the forms linked in Traveldoc, in Timatic, on the various official websites were not the same. The conclusions of my investigations was that I was totally allowed to travel with just a test, no quarantine and no need for a compelling reason, so Timatic and Traveldoc were both wrong.
And guess what, the 2 forms they distributed in the plane were not the same as any of the version I have seen online !!
What a nightmare...
And no problem arriving in Italy, they checked the test and its validity (date). It took 30s.
I have to agree with you about the information about Italy. I'm a native speaker and the information is a total mess. I had a headache after about 5 minutes.
Old Feb 14, 21, 1:57 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
What we are still missing also is an example of a French passport holder having his/her permanent address outside France and trying to come to France. And the 2 first cases you cite (Digicola and Yolow), their return to France will be also very important to follow.
To add some information, I came to Europe from Brazil in mid-January and entered France on 30/01, thus 1day before restrictions were enforced by french government. I never got anxious about exiting Europe, even if my address is not stated on my Brazilian immigration ID (I live in BR and I had documents as backup, just in case).
I still have no schedule to return within the 4 next months but indeed it may be complicated, I expect a deep check from the airline at country of departure because if french police retains you at CDG, the airline would have to fly you back at their own cost.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Just a note to say that the Interior Ministry's dedicated web page has yet again been updated as of today, February 15, with of course no explanation as to why it was updated (this is at least the third or fourth update since January 31). Logically, if the date of the page changes, one would just assume that information has been updated. But as there is no indication of what information might have been modified, you just have to go through all of the sub-pages and various downloadable forms to check against the previous version. VERY FRUSTRATING. 🙄😡
bostontraveler and brunos like this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 9:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The first decision of the Conseil d'Etat was published recently. It's promising.
The Conseil d'Etat says that the right to enter France for french citizens is indeed a fundamental right, but the jurisdiction refused to examine the legality of the decree because the plaintiff didn't showed that his case was urgent enough to benefit from the "rfr-libert" procedure.

I think that the rfr-suspension that the NY-based lawyer introduced may end this stupid policy soon. But we must wait 3-4 weeks to see the result.

If one wants to use the rfr-libert, he must prove that he his travelling soon, then he will have a result in 48 hours. Same goes for someone who wants to challenge the restrictions to leave the country of course.

5. M. B... est citoyen franais et rside au Japon. Si le droit d'entrer sur le territoire franais constitue, pour un ressortissant franais, une libert fondamentale au sens de l'article L. 521-2 du code de justice administrative, M. B... n'tablit pas - ni mme n'allgue -vouloir se rendre en France trs prochainement. Dans ces conditions, il n'tablit pas l'urgence caractrise justifiant seule qu'il soit ordonn trs bref dlai, sur le fondement de l'article L. 521-2 du code de justice administrative, une mesure de sauvegarde d'une libert fondamentale. Sa demande ne peut, par suite, qu'tre rejete.
https://www.conseil-etat.fr/fr/arian...1-02-10/449211
blairvanhorn and maalloc like this.

Last edited by IstKong; Feb 15, 21 at 9:11 am
Old Feb 15, 21, 9:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by IstKong View Post
The first decision of the Conseil d'Etat was published recently. It's promising.
The Conseil d'Etat says that the right to enter France for french citizens is indeed a fundamental right, but the jurisdiction refused to examine the legality of the decree because the plaintiff didn't showed that his case was urgent enough to benefit from the "rfr-libert" procedure.

I think that the rfr-suspension that the NY-based lawyer introduced may end this stupid policy soon. But we must wait 3-4 weeks to see the result.

If one wants to use the rfr-libert, he must prove that you are travelling soon, then he will have a result in 48 hours.

Just read it - this is crazy and resonate with what I shared a couple of posts ago: since when a democracy (last time I checked) grant discretionary rights to its citizen?

What this is essentially saying (pardon me as I'm not a legal expert, so I might have misinterpreted) is: "yes you have a right to come back to your country of citizenship (despite what the government mentioned) but we will not give you any legal guarantee you'll be able to do so in practice", is that right?
Old Feb 15, 21, 9:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by offvoice View Post
Just read it - this is crazy and resonate with what I shared a couple of posts ago: since when a democracy (last time I checked) grant discretionary rights to its citizen?

What this is essentially saying (pardon me as I'm not a legal expert, so I might have misinterpreted) is: "yes you have a right to come back to your country of citizenship (despite what the government mentioned) but we will not give you any legal guarantee you'll be able to do so in practice", is that right?
The jurisdiction says in this ruling that :

- The right to enter France for a french citizen is indeed a fundamental right
- The legality of the restriction to this fundamental right may not be examined with the expedited procedure in this particular case because the plaintiff is not proving that he his travelling to France soon (I think that he must have provided a flight booking to France for instance...).

For now, the decree stays in place. We must wait for the rfr-suspension to be judged (4 to 6 weeks since it was filed) or for someone to file a proper rfr-libert (with tickets in hand) for a result in 48 hours...

If you are travelling very soon, get in touch with someone familiar with the procedure...
Old Feb 15, 21, 10:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
If you are travelling very soon, get in touch with someone familiar with the procedure...
I am due to fly over the coming days. If asked by the PAF at the border I will make sure to say Im here on vacation and file a rfr libert if they deny entry/slap a fine.

Should be fun
bostontraveler and offvoice like this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 10:13 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

If one wants to use the rfr-libert, he must prove that he his travelling soon, then he will have a result in 48 hours. Same goes for someone who wants to challenge the restrictions to leave the country of course.

A nice (sneaky) way for the judges to bow to the government by rejecting the rfr-libert...

Why do you say that this rfr-suspension is potentially important? (sincere question)...

I don't see any acknowledgment at all on the part of the government... quite the contrary. I see them justifying their ability to restrict movement.
Old Feb 15, 21, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Chuvash View Post
I am due to fly over the coming days. If asked by the PAF at the border I will make sure to say Im here on vacation and file a rfr libert if they deny entry/slap a fine.

Should be fun
HA now THAT will be interesting!

Are you traveling to France on a French passport from the US?

What will you declare on the attestation?

I wonder how strict the airlines are currently.. we haven't many anecdotes there...

By the way, who keeps the attestation-- the airline or the PAF upon entry?
Old Feb 15, 21, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
HA now THAT will be interesting!

Are you traveling to France on a French passport from the US?

What will you declare on the attestation?
Ill stay voluntarily vague for now for obvious reasons, but Ill report after.

In terms of the attestation my experience has been that no one even looks at it. Dont know if itll be different this time.
DeltaPrincess likes this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 10:43 am

Ill stay voluntarily vague for now for obvious reasons, but Ill report after.

In terms of the attestation my experience has been that no one even looks at it. Dont know if itll be different this time.
Understood.

But who is the attestation given to? The airline or the PAF?
Old Feb 15, 21, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
Understood.

But who is the attestation given to? The airline or the PAF?
I have never been asked to show it. I always had it just in case but was never actually asked to show it to anyone.

Now my understanding is that theoretically youre supposed to show it to PAF, but the airline needs to check you have it.
Old Feb 15, 21, 11:51 am

I have never been asked to show it. I always had it just in case but was never actually asked to show it to anyone.

Now my understanding is that theoretically youre supposed to show it to PAF, but the airline needs to check you have it.
I'm really surprised to read that... I would think that the airlines would be very keen to verify the information before letting you board...

So nobody has ever asked you for the attestation or asked you to explain why you were traveling?
Old Feb 15, 21, 12:22 pm

Nope. One time at boarding they asked me if I had it, I said yes and they didn’t ask me to show it. Now when Mrs Chuvash who is not a French citizen flew on her own they asked not only for a proof of marriage but for a proof of common life such as bank statements.

same with the PCR tests they just look at the name and date on the test and that’s it.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Return from Italy tonight :
- 10 persons have been denied boarding at the gate for a test problem. In fact it could even have been more, because they were checking at the gate at boarding only the test of pax who did OLCI. Those who stopped at check-in counter already had their test checked, so it's possible that they turned away some pax at that step. Among those 10, some had no test at all (yes, unbelievable) and some had antigenic tests. They tried to argue with the station manager, but of course they did not succeed.
- arrival at CDG...of course you can count on ADP to make your experience miserable. Now you are queuing in the corridor where you disembark from the jetway. 2 lanes : one for connecting pax, one for CDG-terminating pax. No SP lane of course . The PCR test is checked by some young persons working for "Croix Blanche" (seems to be similar to Croix Rouge). Then you pass immigration where they just look at your ID (as before). No one requested the sworn statement, as usual

I also saw this big tent in the baggage claim area !! This is for the "Croix Blanche" staff obviously. I am guessing this is where they do antigenic tests on arrival at 2F, if you are selected for this (I have no idea about their criteria).

DeltaPrincess likes this.

Search this Thread