FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   COVID Restrictions to entry in France (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/2024180-covid-restrictions-entry-france.html)

Goldorak Nov 20, 2020 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 32832927)
What about a foreign national traveling to the Netherlands and then to the US a day later? I'm a French resident but not French.
The US is for work, the Netherlands only because I couldn't get a flight (only 3 per week).

I suppose your question is for the French statement ? if yes, just tick the box business reason.

maalloc Nov 20, 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 32833022)
What do you mean?

French residents are supposed to stay at home these days and leave their place only for a few approved reasons (leisure traveling not being on of them).

Foreign nationals can, as I understand it, move around for another set of reasons such as a <24h layover in France, or traveling back home.

So when asked by the police to explain why you are at CDG (or around if you go to a hotel), being able to play different cards might help.

bostontraveler Nov 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by maalloc (Post 32833038)
French residents are supposed to stay at home these days and leave their place only for a few approved reasons (leisure traveling not being on of them).

Foreign nationals can, as I understand it, move around for another set of reasons such as a <24h layover in France, or traveling back home.

So when asked by the police to explain why you are at CDG (or around if you go to a hotel), being able to play different cards might help.

Well the US is for work, NL is just transit. That's why I was wondering if I needed to explain both. But the ultimate destination is the US. Are people being asked for proof of meetings, etc? I haven't seen any instances here but you never know who you will find...

One has to wonder about the legality of forcing foreign nationals resident in France to remain in France...

maalloc Nov 20, 2020 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 32833071)
Are people being asked for proof of meetings, etc? I haven't seen any instances here but you never know who you will find...

Can’t get you any pointers on this one. After traveling 1000km in France this week, going through French airports 4 times, I’m yet to see a single paperwork check... This lockdown is definitely strange.

One has to wonder about the legality of forcing foreign nationals resident in France to remain in France...

Foreign nationals can always check the travel « attestation » that allows foreigners to travel back home, so they are not prevented from leaving the country.

Locals with French passports, however, don’t have this [excessive] freedom!

Goldorak Nov 20, 2020 12:59 pm

There is nothing in the law preventing a foreign national to leave France. You are completely free to leave the country.

bostontraveler Nov 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 32833103)
There is nothing in the law preventing a foreign national to leave France. You are completely free to leave the country.

That's what I thought as well.

I have to say the information is so poorly diffused and so unclear. In one of the 50 pages I have read, I have seen that travel to visit family in, say, your home country is not permitted.

It seems that the only thing that the authorities care about is "why are you out of your home" with little to no mention of other circumstances.

brunos Nov 20, 2020 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 32833312)
That's what I thought as well.

I have to say the information is so poorly diffused and so unclear. In one of the 50 pages I have read, I have seen that travel to visit family in, say, your home country is not permitted.

It seems that the only thing that the authorities care about is "why are you out of your home" with little to no mention of other circumstances.

Seen from far away, it seems that all that matters is that you have a piece of official paper.
I heard of so many friends (French or not) who go to their second home or visit family whenever they wish and with no problems ....

adambrau Nov 20, 2020 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 32833731)
Seen from far away, it seems that all that matters is that you have a piece of official paper.
I heard of so many friends (French or not) who go to their second home or visit family whenever they wish and with no problems ....

As an American, if you can prove that your principle residence is in France, you can travel from the USA to France. You need to show rental agreement or ownership of property, utility bills, bank payments etc.

France know accepts Antigen and PCR COVID tests for entry - within 72 hours of travel.

airfrance-new.traveldoc.aero is the site we use at JFK to determine whether someone can travel to France, or connect to a third country via CDG. As opposed to airfrance.traveldoc.aero. Sometimes the information can appear contradictory. In this case we use the most restrictive entry requirements to determine whether a pax can travel.

Thank goodness for the vaccines - we all hope by summer 2021 the quarantines and travel restrictions will begin to ease.

Travel safe!

Adam

brunos Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am

Originally Posted by adambrau (Post 32833813)
As an American, if you can prove that your principle residence is in France, you can travel from the USA to France. You need to show rental agreement or ownership of property, utility bills, bank payments etc.

France know accepts Antigen and PCR COVID tests for entry - within 72 hours of travel.

airfrance-new.traveldoc.aero is the site we use at JFK to determine whether someone can travel to France, or connect to a third country via CDG. As opposed to airfrance.traveldoc.aero. Sometimes the information can appear contradictory. In this case we use the most restrictive entry requirements to determine whether a pax can travel.

Thank goodness for the vaccines - we all hope by summer 2021 the quarantines and travel restrictions will begin to ease.

Travel safe!

Adam

I cannot access airfrance-new.traveldoc.aero. Any reason?

adambrau Nov 21, 2020 7:27 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 32833956)
I cannot access airfrance-new.traveldoc.aero. Any reason?

You are right! Honestly the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is check out the site and thus I never have. I guess it is only available on AirFrance computers. I will try to find out today.

Suffice to say travel is very complicated at the moment. Let's hope these vaccines can be efficiently distributed.

Romanianflyer Nov 21, 2020 8:05 am

Isn't that website the same as this one? (which is working)

https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero/

brunos Nov 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer (Post 32834414)
Isn't that website the same as this one? (which is working)

https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero/

Check the post by Adambrau above.

NickB Nov 22, 2020 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 32833103)

The legislation on the lockdown does not distinguish in terms of nationality. Even if you are a non-French national, when in France, you are subject to the same restrictions regarding movements within France as French nationals.

Digicola Nov 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 32836504)
The legislation on the lockdown does not distinguish in terms of nationality. Even if you are a non-French national, when in France, you are subject to the same restrictions regarding movements within France as French nationals.

I'd say this is more of area in the legislation. Obviously everyone on french soil is subject to these measures but to avoid any diplomatic fallout over something as unreasonable a preventing a foreigner from returning home despite not having committed a crime, it is allowed. If anything, I don't think members of our police force want to go through the hassle of annoying foreigners who want to leave

blairvanhorn Nov 23, 2020 2:57 am

Originally Posted by maalloc (Post 32833038)

If I understand your post correctly, I'd say be careful with this. I have a French 10-year residency card and a foreign passport. Every time I arrive at CDG I present both documents, and there is never any problem. In fact, they usually just push the residency card right back at me without even looking at it.

The last time I flew into CDG on a non-EU zone flight (earlier this year, before Confinement I), I presented my passport and forgot to give my residency card with it. The officer shuffled through my passport, then said "Where is your 'carte de résident'?" I was surprised, to say the least, as I had never thought there was a link between the two in their computer system. Apparently, there is.