FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   COVID testing in Paris Airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/2022672-covid-testing-paris-airport.html)

ajayr Aug 1, 2020 9:58 pm

COVID testing in Paris Airport

Hi all,

According to a recent decree: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...als-in-france/ passengers from certain high-risk countries including India will be tested for COVID upon arrival in France.

Can anybody who has travelled post 1-Aug-2020 confirm if this is applicable for transit passengers who are connecting via CDG airport (and will not be entering France)? Specifically, I am booked on an Air France BLR-CDG-LHR flight (on a single PNR, with a 7 hour layover in CDG) and am worried that I might be denied boarding to the LHR flight pending the test results.

Unfortunately, Air France is not giving a straight forward answer despite repeated attempts.

Thanks!

Goldorak Aug 2, 2020 2:37 am

My understanding is that it is not aoplicable to transit pax.

brunos Aug 2, 2020 7:02 am

The new official document mentioned is, at best confusing.
: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...als-in-france/
The first answer is to the general question:

"I am a foreign national. Can I enter France?

There are no restrictions for travel to Metropolitan France from the European space (European Union Member States, United Kingdom, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marina, Switzerland, Vatican) and the following countries: Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay.

Travellers coming from other countries are encouraged to have a negative PCR test before they leave and, for those that do not do this, will be presented with information upon their arrival in France about the conditions for carrying out a two-week quarantine at a location of their choice or, where appropriate, in special accommodation. They will be informed of the possibilities for carrying out a test at the airport and in France."

To me the meaning is clear. Nationals from anywhere can enter France. Travellers from EU+ and 11 other countries have no restrictions whatsoever. The others might need to provide a recent PCR test , or they might be subjected to one in arrival and/or quarantine.
This sounds like a change in policy on 1 August.
France is not delivering short-term visa anymore, so you need to be from a country where visa is not needed (or already have a visa).

It could also be that the official document is wrong. But other official websites all link to that document.

ajayr Aug 2, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks, the instructions say that a COVID test will be conducted for passengers entering France. But it is unclear whether transit pax are also affected by this.

From news reports, it appears that the COVID test centre is near baggage claim in Paris, which will not be accessible to transit pax.

ClipperDelta Aug 2, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ajayr (Post 32575872)
Thanks, the instructions say that a COVID test will be conducted for passengers entering France. But it is unclear whether transit pax are also affected by this.

From news reports, it appears that the COVID test centre is near baggage claim in Paris, which will not be accessible to transit pax.

I saw the testing area yesterday when I went thru CDG; it’s between T2F and T2E arrivals so it’s landside. This testing is not applicable to transit pax.

Marambio Aug 2, 2020 9:54 am

A close friend flew EZE-CDG-TXL on AF two days ago. He carried the negative results of a PCR Covid test performed 24 hours before departure in Buenos Aires with him, but this wasn't asked at CDG immigration, where he was let into Europe just by showing a German passport and saying he was continuing onto Berlin. He didn't see any testing facilities near immigration, which confirms previous posts stating that this is located after customs.

For the record - on the CDG-TXL flight FAs distributed some forms from the German government requesting to voluntarily quarantine and register by your local Gesundheitsamt if you were incoming from one of the blacklisted countries (USA, Brazil, etc.). No Covid checks whatsoever at TXL upon arrival.

GetSetJetSet Aug 2, 2020 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 32575755)
The new official document mentioned is, at best confusing.
: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...als-in-france/
The first answer is to the general question:

"I am a foreign national. Can I enter France?

There are no restrictions for travel to Metropolitan France from the European space (European Union Member States, United Kingdom, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marina, Switzerland, Vatican) and the following countries: Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay.

Travellers coming from other countries are encouraged to have a negative PCR test before they leave and, for those that do not do this, will be presented with information upon their arrival in France about the conditions for carrying out a two-week quarantine at a location of their choice or, where appropriate, in special accommodation. They will be informed of the possibilities for carrying out a test at the airport and in France."

To me the meaning is clear. Nationals from anywhere can enter France. Travellers from EU+ and 11 other countries have no restrictions whatsoever. The others might need to provide a recent PCR test , or they might be subjected to one in arrival and/or quarantine.
This sounds like a change in policy on 1 August.
France is not delivering short-term visa anymore, so you need to be from a country where visa is not needed (or already have a visa).

It could also be that the official document is wrong. But other official websites all link to that document.

does this mean Americans can now travel to France if they have a neg PCR or quarantine?

EDIT: NOPE

It is also important to note that, in the context of the COVID-19 epidemic, the external borders of the European Union and the Schengen Area have been closed to travelers from the United States since March 17 and that, in this context, only those persons who fall within one of the categories mentioned in the exempted international movement certificate for travel from abroad to mainland France are authorized to enter France. This information will be updated regularly based on further clarifications over the coming days.”

ATLCDG Aug 3, 2020 2:10 am

Effective 8/1 a US passenger with the right to travel to France MUST present a negative PCR(72 hours) test prior to boarding the flight or they will be denied boarding. This includes transiting passengers.

From the Paris Airport site:

"As of August 1st 2020 – France established a list of 16 countries where is the virus is very actively circulating. Consequently, it will not be possible anymore to enter the French territory without providing a negative PCR Test :

• Carried out 72hrs prior to departure: The United Arab Emirates, the United-States, Bahreïn, Panama

Passengers coming from these listed countries must provide a negative PCR Test before boarding for France (even those transiting through France). Boarding will be denied by the airline for those who do not. It will not be possible anymore to travel to France if you cannot provide evidence that you are not infected by the Covid-19 virus."

Sjondorn Aug 3, 2020 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Marambio (Post 32576115)
A close friend flew EZE-CDG-TXL on AF two days ago. He carried the negative results of a PCR Covid test performed 24 hours before departure in Buenos Aires with him, but this wasn't asked at CDG immigration, where he was let into Europe just by showing a German passport and saying he was continuing onto Berlin. He didn't see any testing facilities near immigration, which confirms previous posts stating that this is located after customs.

For the record - on the CDG-TXL flight FAs distributed some forms from the German government requesting to voluntarily quarantine and register by your local Gesundheitsamt if you were incoming from one of the blacklisted countries (USA, Brazil, etc.). No Covid checks whatsoever at TXL upon arrival.

I'm actually wondering regarding situation entering France: SFO-CDG [overnight layover] CDG-PRG. Will have negative PCR test results with be dated 72 hrs before departure (or well, won't travel if it'll be positive). I'm understanding the following:
- At immigration I'll be just good saying I'm continuing to PRG the next day (am citizen of Czech Rep.)
- It's a good idea to use my Czech address with the hotel I'm staying in Paris
- France has only "voluntary quarantine" which is not mandatory

brunos Aug 3, 2020 3:29 am

There is an article in Le Monde (sorry in French):
https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...7930_3224.html

If the journalist is correct, it would suggest that:
1. Only those pax without a coid test 72h prior departure are tested.
2. If tested at CDG, you don't need to wait for results, just give your address and contact number.
3. The writing would suggest that transit pax are also tested. But it is not clearly stated.

ATLCDG Aug 3, 2020 5:21 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 32577573)
There is an article in Le Monde (sorry in French):
https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...7930_3224.html

If the journalist is correct, it would suggest that:
1. Only those pax without a coid test 72h prior departure are tested.
2. If tested at CDG, you don't need to wait for results, just give your address and contact number.
3. The writing would suggest that transit pax are also tested. But it is not clearly stated.

Unless you are flying from the US. No one, regardless of nationality, boards a plane from the US without a negative covid test. From Delta's site, now:"All passengers traveling to or through France are required to complete an attestation of travel form (English / French) and Health Declaration form to be presented to Immigration officers at Paris-CDG upon arrival. Please print and complete these forms before arrival at the airport, as copies at the gate will be limited. For more information, visit the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, opens in a new window.

All passengers with France as the final destination from or through the United States from August 1 onwards (departing the US on or after July 31) must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure. Please be prepared to confirm your test results prior to boarding. This applies to all passengers regardless of nationality.

Please note that there is a grace period when departing the US any date between July 31 to August 4 where travelers can receive testing upon arrival in France. After the grace period ends, all travelers must present a negative COVID-19 test to board."

mlin32 Aug 3, 2020 5:29 am

Sheesh that throws a wrench into my plans. I don't have residency in the US anymore, it's such a mess of websites and info sources trying to find a test site now for my trip there in a few weeks :mad:

fifty_two Aug 3, 2020 8:19 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta (Post 32576050)
I saw the testing area yesterday when I went thru CDG; it’s between T2F and T2E arrivals so it’s landside. This testing is not applicable to transit pax.

any further or new details about exact location or how to get there ???

brunos Aug 3, 2020 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ATLCDG (Post 32577727)
Unless you are flying from the US. No one, regardless of nationality, boards a plane from the US without a negative covid test. From Delta's site, now:"All passengers traveling to or through France are required to complete an attestation of travel form (English / French) and Health Declaration form to be presented to Immigration officers at Paris-CDG upon arrival. Please print and complete these forms before arrival at the airport, as copies at the gate will be limited. For more information, visit the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, opens in a new window.

All passengers with France as the final destination from or through the United States from August 1 onwards (departing the US on or after July 31) must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure. Please be prepared to confirm your test results prior to boarding. This applies to all passengers regardless of nationality.

Please note that there is a grace period when departing the US any date between July 31 to August 4 where travelers can receive testing upon arrival in France. After the grace period ends, all travelers must present a negative COVID-19 test to board."

At least, this is much less stringent than what Hong Kong requires for arriving pax. The lab result must be in English or Chinese with f personal details (passport number, etc.). The lab must be certified by the local government:
"A letter issued by the relevant authority of the government of the place in which the laboratory or healthcare institution is located. This letter must certify that the laboratory or health care institution is recognised or approved by the government. This letter must be written in English or Chinese.
Note: For passengers travelling from the United States, a copy of a ‘Certificate of Accreditation’ issued by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) , Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) program is acceptable. Passengers should contact their laboratory or healthcare provider for further information."

Thay suspect many fake tests from other high-risk countries such as India, Pakistan,... Of course a fake letter is also a possibility but will need official stamps.

ATLCDG Aug 3, 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mlin32 (Post 32577742)
Sheesh that throws a wrench into my plans. I don't have residency in the US anymore, it's such a mess of websites and info sources trying to find a test site now for my trip there in a few weeks :mad:

Many from the US will find it difficult to get test results quickly enough to fly.