Please clarify the current entry rules

Old Jun 19, 20, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Please clarify the current entry rules

ON 13 June, the ministers and interior and foreign affairs publish a press release:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...s-de-la-France

My friends and myself are unable to find instructions/décret detailing the exact rules.
The word "en provenance" (arriving from) is very confusing. It seems to differentiate by flight origin but not nationality.
One reading would be that any nationals arriving on a London flight would be allowed in. But a UK national (EU+) arriving on a HKG-CDG would not be allowed in.(but would if he flies HKG-LHR-CDG).
That reading is doubtful.
Even the French consulate here does not know and simply refer to the press release.

Anyone can provide some more detailed official document? A week has passed so there has to be some.

MANY THANKS
Old Jun 20, 20, 8:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Miles&More, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Anyone can provide some more detailed official document?
See http://circulaires.legifrance.gouv.f.../cir_44994.pdf for the restrictions to the French internal borders of the EEU - basically restrictions are lifted and this also applies to the United Kingdom (as it's EEU related, not Schengen).

For the external borders, there are 3 instructions still valid (only for this part) :
- March 18th : https://www.dalloz-actualite.fr/site..._frontiere.pdf : only EEU nationals are allowed to enter, plus non-EEU able settled in EEU and reaching their permanent residency (plus some other exceptions)
- April 15th : https://expat-elan.fr/images/10-text...frontieres.pdf extending that until further notice (with a subtle change : it is now about EU / non-EU instead of Schengen / non-Schengen).
- May 12th : http://circulaires.legifrance.gouv.f.../cir_44968.pdf allowing transit (but not admittance to the French territory).

Therefore it is my understanding that:
- Anyone travelling from UK would be admitted ('internal' border), but subject to a voluntary quarantine
- A UK national from HKG would also be allowed into France (nationality allowed through 'external' border).
Old Jun 20, 20, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nico40 View Post
See http://circulaires.legifrance.gouv.f.../cir_44994.pdf for the restrictions to the French internal borders of the EEU - basically restrictions are lifted and this also applies to the United Kingdom (as it's EEU related, not Schengen).

For the external borders, there are 3 instructions still valid (only for this part) :
- March 18th : https://www.dalloz-actualite.fr/site..._frontiere.pdf : only EEU nationals are allowed to enter, plus non-EEU able settled in EEU and reaching their permanent residency (plus some other exceptions)
- April 15th : https://expat-elan.fr/images/10-text...frontieres.pdf extending that until further notice (with a subtle change : it is now about EU / non-EU instead of Schengen / non-Schengen).
- May 12th : http://circulaires.legifrance.gouv.f.../cir_44968.pdf allowing transit (but not admittance to the French territory).

Therefore it is my understanding that:
- Anyone travelling from UK would be admitted ('internal' border), but subject to a voluntary quarantine
- A UK national from HKG would also be allowed into France (nationality allowed through 'external' border).

Many thanks.
Indeed, a strict reading would suggest that any national arriving from UK can enter France. UK does not prevent any nationals to enter. France has opened its "frontieres interieures" (internal border) to any pax coming from EU+. Whether that is the intent of the French government is another question.
Old Jul 19, 20, 12:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
A quick question. An Air France website has been updated and currently says:

Before travelling towards Metropolitan France from some countries, a negative test for Covid-19, performed less than 72 hours before the flight, is recommended.
In the event of a non-fulfilment of this test prior to your arrival in France, customers may be quarantined for 14 days.
This measure is applicable from countries where the virus circulates actively.

Has someone an experience, if the carantine applies to all customers coming from the outside of EU (except of "safe counties list") ?
Old Jul 20, 20, 1:01 am

Programs: FB Plat
The way I read it, you should not check the Air France website, but health recommendations for travelers between France and your country of departure. This is a diplomatic matter, and it can change quite fast every week, so Air France has to display a generic enough message to avoid having to change the website every time.
Old Jul 20, 20, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This seems new.
it clearly addresses flights TO France.
Apparently the French Government might request a test before departure from some countries.

The list of countries where virus circulation is small is a joke and clearly political.
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affic...tegorieLien=id
China, the safest country, does not appear. Sure, it does not allow French visitors, but that is also true for many non European countries listed (australia, Canada, Japan, Korea). And Serbia covid situation is exploding.
Old Jul 20, 20, 9:46 am

Sorry for asking, my French is not the best, but if I fly from LHR to CDG and then onwards to AMS with a NL passport, would I be allowed in FR without any issues at this point in time?
Old Jul 20, 20, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by r0gerthat View Post
Sorry for asking, my French is not the best, but if I fly from LHR to CDG and then onwards to AMS with a NL passport, would I be allowed in FR without any issues at this point in time?
yes
Old Jul 20, 20, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
yes
Merci!
Old Jul 25, 20, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I didn't want to start a new thread, so this one seems the most relevant to me for posting the following info. I just posted in the coronavirus thread the PCR test new requirements arriving in France from certain non-Schengen/EEA countries from Aug 1st :
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32557303-post511.html
tecate55 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 20, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL/AF, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
Helpful and timely thread. My only niece (she is 18) is preparing to leave for college in Menton, France next month for her first year at Columbia Sciences PO. She holds a US passport, and a valid Student Visa for France, issued by the French Consulate here (SFO). Her entry to France is set.

She speaks fluent French, fluent English, and good Arabic, but our family would really like an adult to meet meet her in Paris and accompany her to Menton. Hypothetically, at the present time, does the following seem permissible (adding I/we would be happy to provide very recent negative Covid test(s)):

Fly from SFO-LHR
Overnight (if required - like quarantine) at LHR
Transit to St. Pancras station in London
Board Eurostar to Gare du Nord

Entry to France for Eurostar is controlled at St. Pancras - is the current environment such that I could be admitted to France from the UK as described? Thanks for any input or recent on the ground experience that could be similar. And I do realize the regulatory environment is extremely fluid at this time. I am a US citizen and hold a US passport.
Old Jul 25, 20, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by ebayj View Post
stuff
*If* the UK allows EU study permit arrivals from USA, they still require quarantine. They probably won't be happy if you're boarding a train (ie: public transport) during quarantine time instead of an immediate flight out. I haven't followed much UK handling of foreign travellers, but I'm not sure if UK lets you skip quarantine if you present a negative test. And unsure what their policy on transit is, and what a French study permit means to them.

If she's allowed to enter and connect in UK, why not book a flight from LHR to CDG or NICE instead of training to Paris and then to ???? Separate tickets might create an issue in the UK though re: quarantine. Dunno how baggage works there if you're connecting on a separate ticket.

While it sounds like a negative COVID-19 PCR test will be the best option to avoid quarantine *In France*, "These provisions provide that the presentation of a negative PCR test taken less than 72 hours before the traveller’s arrival on French territory exempts them from the quarantine requirement.". If it has to be taken within 72 hours of arrival, and it will already take ~12hrs+ to get there under the best circumstances... that doesn't leave a lot of time for the actual test to be conducted and results forwarded. Depends on your local area's testing capacity.

And how soon is this? Rules keep changing. It seems like it will be a lot fewer issues if she gets directly between USA and France/coreEU without non-EU transits.

I'd try to do SFO-CDG, then TGV to Menton (about 8 hours, but could enjoy some time in Paris). Or SFO-AMS-NCE or SFO-CDG-NCE then train to Menton (5 EUR train after the 1 EUR ride to the station from NCE airport)

Last edited by tecate55; Jul 25, 20 at 11:47 pm
Old Jul 26, 20, 12:22 am

Programs: DL/AF, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
Originally Posted by tecate55 View Post
*If* the UK allows etc. helpful response
Thanks for your helpful points and insights. I should have detailed she is already booked SFO-CDG-NCE on AF and my goal is to meet up with her in Southern France to help her with her apartment and driving/schlepping etc.

This is taking place at the end of August, so things could be different then. I am working from the assumption that US passport holders as tourists will not be allowed directly from the US into France anytime soon, hence the exploration of the UK as initial destination.
Old Jul 26, 20, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by ebayj View Post
Thanks for your helpful points and insights. I should have detailed she is already booked SFO-CDG-NCE on AF and my goal is to meet up with her in Southern France to help her with her apartment and driving/schlepping etc.

This is taking place at the end of August, so things could be different then. I am working from the assumption that US passport holders as tourists will not be allowed directly from the US into France anytime soon, hence the exploration of the UK as initial destination.
Ohhh, I see now. I think you still run the risk of being refused entry to France. There is discussion in the other thread about whether entry into France from another country is legal in all cases, strictly because you set foot for a minute in acceptable country, or if the exemption only applies if you had spent a significant period of time in that place.

US citizens OK to fly to France via Netherlands?

I'm sure France is accepting travellers from the UK nowadays under the impression that they will have resided/quarantined in UK, but unsure how the exact regulation is written. I wouldn't expect this path to remain open.

Seems like from https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/eli/decret/2020/7/10/SSAZ2018127D/jo/article_24 that you would be subject to quarantine in France or 72-hr negative RT-PCR test since you were in a hot-zone in the preceding month.
ebayj likes this.

Last edited by tecate55; Jul 26, 20 at 1:31 am
Old Jul 26, 20, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not sure I understand your question.
First you state that you need someone to accompany her from Paris to Menton, then that she is booked SFO-CDG-NCE.

I would advise very strongly that she flies SFO-CDG-NCE.or SFO-LHR-NCE. You really add to the health risk, number of transfers and travel time if you follow the mixed air-train itinerary that you suggested. It makes little sense. That advice also applies to you.

We do not see our daughter growing, but at 18 she is quite old enough to handle taking a taxi at Nice airport to Menton. It will be on the expensive side (EUR50) but very convenient.

Whether you will be admitted in a month time is unclear. I have known people who flew USA-LHR-NCE on BA and got no problem at NCE as they were "arriving from UK". But that is a loophole that they might close,especially with the new testing requirement. Currently, the spirit of the regulation is that US nationals are not admitted in France unless that have residency here or qualify for exemptions like your daughter.
Goldorak and ebayj like this.

Last edited by brunos; Jul 26, 20 at 4:27 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: