Phase-out of Air France entire Airbus A380 fleet

Old May 20, 20, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent

A sad day for AF. Wonder what this means for La Premiere

https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/phas...?sf122769169=1

AIR FRANCE - KLM: Phase-out of Air France entire Airbus A380 fleet Roissy, 20 May 2020

In the context of the current COVID-19 crisis and its impact on anticipated activity levels, the Air France-KLM Group announces today the definitive end of Air France Airbus A380 operations.

Initially scheduled by the end of 2022, the phase-out of Airbus A380 fleet fits in the Air France-KLM Group fleet simplification strategy of making the fleet more competitive, by continuing its transformation with more modern, high-performance aircraft with a significantly reduced environmental footprint.

Five of the Airbus A380 aircraft in the current fleet are owned by Air France or on finance lease, while four are on operating lease. The global impact of the Airbus A380 phase-out write down is estimated at 500 million euros and will be booked in the second quarter of 2020 as a non-current cost/expenses.

Airbus A380 will be replaced by new generation aircraft, including Airbus A350 and Boeing 787, whose deliveries are ongoing.
Old May 20, 20, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Wow. At this rate there won't be many of these in the sky any more.
Old May 20, 20, 9:58 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
This is a shame. The A380 provides a very smooth flight, but using four engines is now too expensive I suppose.
keisari likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 10:18 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, TP Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It's a shame to see less and less A380s flying around. AF's A380s don't have the best cabin, but I would have enjoyed the experience.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 11:14 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Where are all the people that have wished for the A380 to leave the fleet because of its dated cabins, especially in J and P?

I won't miss it. I personally don't understand the "flight experience" argument. What makes the most difference is the seat. I rather have the new J seat on a B777 than the old one on the A380. And the P cabin is clearly inferior.
Old May 20, 20, 12:20 pm

I also wonder what that means for La Première, it's a huge capacity decrease. They're gonna have to do something to make the legendary ground services worth it for them with that little P seats left.
Old May 20, 20, 3:56 pm

Indeed, AF sees a lot of P seats disappearing without immediate alternatives.
P destinations will dramatically decrease.
Frequent P travelers like me will select alternative airlines once just basic J is offered

Last edited by Bullspread; May 20, 20 at 4:04 pm
Old May 20, 20, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
The A380 provides a very smooth flight, but using four engines is now too expensive I suppose.
Especially when you can't fill up the entire plane...
Yoshi212 and BearX220 like this.
Old May 20, 20, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Where are all the people that have wished for the A380 to leave the fleet because of its dated cabins, especially in J and P?

I won't miss it. I personally don't understand the "flight experience" argument. What makes the most difference is the seat. I rather have the new J seat on a B777 than the old one on the A380. And the P cabin is clearly inferior.
Fully agreed. Premium cabins had antique seats and video and the A380 had too many maintenance problems.

I avoided it on AF, but enjoyed it a couple of times a year on QR, especially with a huge bar area at the back. Was also quite pleasant on BA with huge toilets.

Anyway covid means that A380 will be gone on most airlines using just a few of them, and even EK is considering speeding up the retirement of 46 ac.
Old May 21, 20, 4:15 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
Dommage.

But inevitable, and I guess financially logical. After all, DL is phasing out their 777s as well, and people didn't initially anticipate that so early on.
af fp likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
It's not a "phase-out"!

Originally they were planning to retire the fleet in phases - which would qualify as a phase-out - but now they are announcing that the retirement of all the airframes is a fait-accompli! They are not phasing in the retirements - they are already a matter of fact!!!

On one hand it certainly is a pity, but it is also a pity that AF never "valued" the A380 enough to update the seats.
af fp likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 10:50 am

this plane was my favorite for a niche market. Flying in business class with a toddler it was great because you could trap the kid in the window seat so she couldn't escape and roam the aisles, but the seat and service were still quite good. I never noticed the seats were angled instead of 180 degree until I read about it online. I have flights booked for this August and the website has no mention of the plane not being used. I can still go in and change my seat on the A380.
MsEllie and tokyobanker like this.
Old May 21, 20, 2:32 pm

August schedules are not updated/loaded yet. AF really only has June and some of July loaded.
Old May 22, 20, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32 View Post
August schedules are not updated/loaded yet. AF really only has June and some of July loaded.
August schedules are for sure loaded (and for a while), but they may not be updated yet.
Old May 22, 20, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
August schedules are for sure loaded (and for a while), but they may not be updated yet.
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm sure given the current situations and uncertainty, AF is going to rejuggle fréquences and aircraft, probably eventually removing the A388 on all its schedules.
For example I see 3x daily frequences on certain days in August for CDG-IAD; pretty sure neither the 3x daily nor the A380 will happen.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: