When will AF cancel my flight to China?

Old Apr 12, 20, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
When will AF cancel my flight to China?

Hi guys
I bought tickets to China for August and I was wondering when AF would cancel my flights.
Route was CDG-AMS-HGH, CTU-AMS-CDG.
Old Apr 12, 20, 1:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Maybe they will not !
August is still a long way to go.
Usually, it will be 3 weeks to a 1,5 months ahead. If you look at the schedule today, You can be rebooked on a direct flight CDG-HGH from June 1st and almost everyday.

If you do not want to travel anymore, then you can request a non refundable voucher or postpone your trip for free if it begins before November 30th via either ę Manage my booking Ľ or by contacting AF through facebook messenger for instance.

Last edited by canadavid; Apr 12, 20 at 1:08 am Reason: Add details
Old Apr 12, 20, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by canadavid View Post
Maybe they will not !
August is still a long way to go.
Usually, it will be 3 weeks to a 1,5 months ahead. If you look at the schedule today, You can be rebooked on a direct flight CDG-HGH from June 1st and almost everyday.

If you do not want to travel anymore, then you can request a non refundable voucher or postpone your trip for free if it begins before November 30th via either ę Manage my booking Ľ or by contacting AF through facebook messenger for instance.
I know these flights are still bookable but unfortunately I donít think it is realistic.
French President said France borders will certainly be closed this summer...
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would do nothing at this time. If AF cancels, then you are due a refund. If you cancel, you are due a voucher / credit under AF's Covid-19 policy. There is no reason to do anything until close to flight time at which point you will have to accept a voucher if you choose not to travel and AF is operating.
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LY777 View Post
I know these flights are still bookable but unfortunately I donít think it is realistic.
I am far away from France, but that sounds like news to me.

I am not so sure that it is totally unrealistic that this itin will not be open four months from now. Everything changes so quickly and China has ended its lockdown. They are far ahead of Europe. Given that almost all new cases are imported, all incoming pax are quarantined. As of today, you would be much safer in China than in France with no confinement. What the situation (health and flights) will be in August is impossible to guess.
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Minute, papillon! The French President, in a video conference with social partners contemplating the possibility that Schengen borders might remain closed this summer is not quite the same thing as the "French President has said that France borders will certainly be closed this summer." The analysis is premised on the Coronavirus crisis reaching its peak in the US and Africa in the summer. AIUI, this is just one of the scenarios being "wargamed" in the Covid-19 contingency planning, not a certainty or quasi-certainty.

I do not think that anybody has a clear idea at all as to what the situation will be like this summer. It is a reasonably safe assumption that we should not expect to be back to normal. OTOH, exactly what restrictions and where will be in force by then can only be surmised by those in possession of competition-standard crystal balls.
Old Apr 12, 20, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Hi guys
I bought tickets to China for August and I was wondering when AF would cancel my flights.
Route was CDG-AMS-HGH, CTU-AMS-CDG.
2 remarks in addition to other comments posted :
- with the possible exception of the CDG-AMS-CDG flights, your long-hauls are not operated by AF, so if cancellation, it will not be AF who will cancel the flights, even if you purchased the ticket with AF.
- with your itinerary, you should rather look at Dutch borders being closed rather than French ones.
Old Apr 12, 20, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
I have YYZ-CDG-PVG in early May, and am assuming these will be cancelled, but as far as I can tell they haven't been yet
I am happy to take a voucher in lieu of refund
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
A bit OT. But this week-old article shows that China tourist sites have reopened:
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...try-tries-ease
I have been to yellow mountains and there were ten times less tourists.
Whether/when China will relax its entry policy for foreign tourists is an open question.

Even more OT, the Easter weekend in Hong Kong:
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ck-beaches-and
HK now down to 4 new cases (3 imported)

Just to give hopes to those of you in Europe.
Goldorak and SkyteamEP like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: