Wiki Posts
Search

Is my flight about to be cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:08 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Is my flight about to be cancelled

I am scheduled to fly on AF7 from JFK to CDG on 3/12. This was initially scheduled to be a flight on a A380. This morning I log into my reservation to see that my flight has been changed to a 777-300w (which kind of sucks because I really wanted to sit on the upper deck of an A380 something I have never done before). However, I also noticed, despite the flight being about 2/3 full in economy, half empty in business and premium economy, and only 1 person in first that you cannot book this flight anymore. I pulled it up on expert flyer and see that it has 0 availability in all classes. All other flights from JFK to CDG set for this day can still be booked.

Is my flight about to be cancelled? I want to be prepared so I can let AF know how I want to be rebooked.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by kbooks66
I am scheduled to fly on AF7 from JFK to CDG on 3/12. This was initially scheduled to be a flight on a A380. This morning I log into my reservation to see that my flight has been changed to a 777-300w (which kind of sucks because I really wanted to sit on the upper deck of an A380 something I have never done before). However, I also noticed, despite the flight being about 2/3 full in economy, half empty in business and premium economy, and only 1 person in first that you cannot book this flight anymore. I pulled it up on expert flyer and see that it has 0 availability in all classes. All other flights from JFK to CDG set for this day can still be booked.

Is my flight about to be cancelled? I want to be prepared so I can let AF know how I want to be rebooked.
Lots of equipment changes and flight cancellations are happening at the moment. In case your flight is cancelled they will rebook you automatically, but if you don’t like the automatic rebooking then you can call them and they should be able to rebook you on something which suits you better. This just happened to me and it took me a few minutes on the phone to sort it out.

On the brighter side. In case you are traveling in J the seats 773 are much, much better than on the A380.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zembla
Lots of equipment changes and flight cancellations are happening at the moment. In case your flight is cancelled they will rebook you automatically, but if you don’t like the automatic rebooking then you can call them and they should be able to rebook you on something which suits you better. This just happened to me and it took me a few minutes on the phone to sort it out.

On the brighter side. In case you are traveling in J the seats 773 are much, much better than on the A380.
I am flying Y, but giving how empty J is I am hoping the will offer a reasonably priced buy up to J.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I flew an AF 380 (on the upper deck) the plane was severely in need of refurb. The crew seemed to indicate to me that AF wasn't really interested in upgrading their 380 fleet. This was three years ago and since then the 380 has been removed from the routes I fly replaced by the 773, which is a far superior cabin (in W or J, I've not flown Y). AF may be changing your flight out in response to lighter loads, because that 380 is like a small town in a tube.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Last time I flew an AF 380 (on the upper deck) the plane was severely in need of refurb. The crew seemed to indicate to me that AF wasn't really interested in upgrading their 380 fleet. This was three years ago and since then the 380 has been removed from the routes I fly replaced by the 773, which is a far superior cabin (in W or J, I've not flown Y). AF may be changing your flight out in response to lighter loads, because that 380 is like a small town in a tube.
I hear it sucks for the premium cabins, but from what I read the A380 is awesome for the economy cabin in upper deck. Given the significantly lower number of passengers on the upper deck. Also I want to fly on an A380 before they all get retired. This is the second time an AF A380 flight has fallen through on me.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kbooks66
I hear it sucks for the premium cabins, but from what I read the A380 is awesome for the economy cabin in upper deck. Given the significantly lower number of passengers on the upper deck. Also I want to fly on an A380 before they all get retired. This is the second time an AF A380 flight has fallen through on me.
My daughter and her husband flew in the AF 380 in Y on the upper in 2014 and they loved it. They got a 2-seat row in the back. But, the plane was in good shape then.
In 2015, we flew together in W and every seat in the PE cabin was broken in some way. Not just our 4 seats. I spoke to 6 people around me. Not one fully functional seat/IFE.
In 2016, I flew the A380 in J (ex-SFO). Cabin was worn out. Crew was kinda surly and that's when I was told AF wasn't interested in supporting the equipment. On the return flight I was on a 777-300 (BEST) and have never looked back.
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.