Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 hr connection in CDG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

1 hr connection in CDG

I am looking at an award booking on Air France for IAD -> FCO and it's giving me a 1 hour connection in CDG (no other options with longer connection). From everything I am reading there is no chance I'm making that connection. I will have a checked bag with me. People I've talked to suggest that this isn't a big deal and that the airline will put me on the next available flight to Rome, of which I'm assuming there are many from Paris. Mostly I am worried about my checked bag. I suppose it's quite possible that the bag makes it on the original connecting flight while I'm standing in the immigration line. In such case it would be in Rome hours before I would be. I've never dealt with such scenario so I'm a little nervous. The wife won't be too pleased if something happens to our luggage.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
In Europe, checked bags always travel with you. If you have not boarded when the flight is closed, they will offload your bags.
No worries.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
First, there is a decent chance you will make the connectio.
Second, AF is used to reroute pax AND bags on next flight.
I would not worry so much. CDG is not the best airport for bags, but problems are an exception rather than a rule.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
In Europe, checked bags always travel with you. If you have not boarded when the flight is closed, they will offload your bags.
No worries.
This is great news. Last thing I need during a stressful situation is an angry wife by my side
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
First, there is a decent chance you will make the connectio.
Second, AF is used to reroute pax AND bags on next flight.
I would not worry so much. CDG is not the best airport for bags, but problems are an exception rather than a rule.
Thanks. In case I do miss the connection... I'm assuming I eventually get to the designated gate and see that the flight already left. What do I do from there?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory
Thanks. In case I do miss the connection... I'm assuming I eventually get to the designated gate and see that the flight already left. What do I do from there?
You will likely already have been rebooked. Just go to a service desk and they'll sort you out.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You will likely already have been rebooked. Just go to a service desk and they'll sort you out.
Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory
Mostly I am worried about my checked bag. I suppose it's quite possible that the bag makes it on the original connecting flight while I'm standing in the immigration line.
I have an incredibly bad track record at bags making it onto my onward flights whenever I connect in CDG.

The last time, I even purposely avoided booking the first onward flight CDG-AMS, waiting instead for the subsequent one, to give more time (several hours) for my bag to make the connection.

It arrived by courier 2 days later with a €25 voucher attached.
The doomed likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I have an incredibly bad track record at bags making it onto my onward flights whenever I connect in CDG.

The last time, I even purposely avoided booking the first onward flight CDG-AMS, waiting instead for the subsequent one, to give more time (several hours) for my bag to make the connection.

It arrived by courier 2 days later with a €25 voucher attached.
You're giving me anxiety
The doomed likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Don’t worry. CDG is not better or worse for bags than another airport.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There's a reasonable chance you can make this connection. A lot of times the transatlantic flight is early, so you'll probably have more than 1 hour to transfer. It will also depend on how close you are to the aircraft exit, and how far apart your specific gates are.

Good luck! (They'll get you and your bag there one way or another.)
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
As we all know flights out of NYC don't always run to schedule but the best advice I can give you:

1. Try not to let it get to you in advance too much - there are too many hypotheticals that it will just make you anxious over something, in the end, hundreds of our customers book every day.
2. The flight is blocked at least 30 minutes more than than needed. Flight sometimes get airborne 1 hour after scheduled departure time and arrives early.
3. You will land in in terminal 2E and probably leave out of 2F - they are right next to each other. You show your passport and have a quick security check and you are literally right at the connecting arrogare.
4. Weather affects all and it's a shame you might have industrial action to deal with as well. Seems like domestic French flights are suffering most. Longhauls are fine and Europe didn't seemed cancelled out too badly.
5. If you are staying in Rome for at least a night, try to pack two outfits that will fit into you carry on so in case baggage delays are occurring you will be a step ahead.
6. It seems you are originating out of IAD so less weather to worry than the NY airports. Just get there a bit early.

I'm sure you will have a great trip - but you are right to mitigate potential bumps.

Safe travels!

Adam
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adambrau
As we all know flights out of NYC don't always run to schedule but the best advice I can give you:

1. Try not to let it get to you in advance too much - there are too many hypotheticals that it will just make you anxious over something, in the end, hundreds of our customers book every day.
2. The flight is blocked at least 30 minutes more than than needed. Flight sometimes get airborne 1 hour after scheduled departure time and arrives early.
3. You will land in in terminal 2E and probably leave out of 2F - they are right next to each other. You show your passport and have a quick security check and you are literally right at the connecting arrogare.
4. Weather affects all and it's a shame you might have industrial action to deal with as well. Seems like domestic French flights are suffering most. Longhauls are fine and Europe didn't seemed cancelled out too badly.
5. If you are staying in Rome for at least a night, try to pack two outfits that will fit into you carry on so in case baggage delays are occurring you will be a step ahead.
6. It seems you are originating out of IAD so less weather to worry than the NY airports. Just get there a bit early.

I'm sure you will have a great trip - but you are right to mitigate potential bumps.

Safe travels!

Adam
I actually live in MD that's why I'm flying out of Dulles (IAD). This is a booking for next June (I know I'm an early planner), so weather shouldn't be an issue. These are all awesome tips, thank you!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Don’t worry. CDG is not better or worse for bags than another airport.
I personally believe that bag transfer risks are significantly different among airports.
It depends on how computerized and efficient is their system, the quality of the conveyor distribution system, the motivation of the ground handling personnel....
But that's another discussion.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Successful tight connection

Flying DUB-CDG-LAX in business on Xmas eve with a scheduled 70 minute connection at CDG. I knew it was tight but the other option was leaving on the 6 am DUB-CDG and I figured if I missed the connection, AF would put me up.
DUB-CDG departed 20 minutes late because of late arriving plane, got to gate T2E-K 10 minutes late but then another 10 minutes to get the jetway connected to plane. Off the plane at 1720.
Allowed to cut into security line because of tight connection.
Was in my seat for CDG-LAX by 1745.
Carry on bags only.
Pleasantly surprised!
obscure2k and Goldorak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.