Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG strike impact?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by carnarvon

ATC strikes affect all airlines, not only AF.

Ground staff issues at airport the airport affect all airlines as well.
Err... yes. Which is why I said not to fly to any French airport on any airline that date.

ATC and ground staff are not expected to be on strike on December 6, which is why flying on non-French airlines on that day should be feasible. Things may change until then, but that is many people's best estimate as of today.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well, I've called AF three times now, and each time they have assured me that there is no impact to my flight from the strikes on the 5th and everything will go ahead as scheduled, and thus they cannot change my flight at this time. This is going to end well, isn't it?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:10 am

a waiver has been issued in the meantime, which allows them to rebook your (intra-European) flight now:

National strike: In the context of a national call for strike action in France on Thursday 5 December, 2019, which is relayed by Air Traffic controllers from 5 to 7 December.
The following voluntary rebooking options may be offered to customers with valid ticket issued until 29 November, 2019, whatever the fare paid.

Destinations impacted: all short and medium haul flights
Travel dates impacted:
from05to 07December, 2019
Rebook travel dates: from 02 to 15 December, 2019*
Reissue / Refund must be completed on or before: 15December, 2019
Rebook for travel in the same cabin of travel on AF/KL/DL only.

* It is strongly recommended not to rebook customers on flights operated between 5 to 7 December 2019
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
<original post deleted>

Finally got through to a supervisor at Flying Blue who acknowledged the strike and made the change. To be fair, not bad on a 36K promo reward ticket SEA-CDG-AMS to get onto the never-on-the-promo-list SFO-AMS KL flight. Also my first time on KL, so pretty excited about it!
MorganB likes this.

Last edited by cricketer; Dec 1, 2019 at 12:52 pm Reason: solved the problem
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Thank you for this thread, it has very helpful.

We are flying PHL-CDG on 12/4 on AA, connecting to an AF flight to LIS for a few days.

We're booked return to Paris on 12/8 on TAP.

We're looking at cancelling our LIS jaunt and going to AMS instead and have booked back up train tickets for 12/8 and 12/9, with the understanding that we may end up having to get a car somewhere along with the way if the
strike persists and Thalys in delayed or cancelled. Getting back from LIS to CDG will take a looong time if the SNCF decides that they are going to prolong this action.

I'm completely flexible at this point, but would love to cancel our TAP tickets (they are flexible, but not fully refundable). Our AF tickets are fully refundable, before we depart from the US. I don't love the idea of stressing out about this before I leave town and certainly don't want to add to the chaos when we arrive.

I am glad we have the mileage and points resources to explore other options, others may not be so fortunate.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Has anyone had success getting AF to rebook? I have a short-haul to long-haul connection at CDG on the 6th which I'm trying to have them switch to route through AMS, but there's a pretty steep fare difference. I also have a return flight through CDG on the 10th, and a very important meeting on the 11th. Anyone know if the strike is expected to carry over until then?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skydelt
Has anyone had success getting AF to rebook? I have a short-haul to long-haul connection at CDG on the 6th which I'm trying to have them switch to route through AMS, but there's a pretty steep fare difference. I also have a return flight through CDG on the 10th, and a very important meeting on the 11th. Anyone know if the strike is expected to carry over until then?
Based on my conversations with AF and Flying Blue, and their clear assertions, you should have no problem rebooking your first flight onto KL without charge. I doubt they'd move the return yet though. I've found their online chat via FB to be super responsive and helpful btw.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
We were able to cancel our ticket via the website, but mention of travel waiver.

Hoping the strikes are short, but TAP decides to offer a travel waiver the extends into the weekend, so I am not out 300 bucks.

lala
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Just got it switched to go through AMS on KLM instead. Tangentially related, anyone have experience on a one hour connection at Schipol? I'd be going from an EU flight to an international flight in exactly an hour.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Just got it switched to go through AMS on KLM instead. Tangentially related, anyone have experience on a one hour connection at Schipol? I'd be going from an EU flight to an international flight in exactly an hour.
It depends a bit if you're flying into AMS from a Schengen (e.g UK, Ireland, Romania are EU but non-Schengen; Switzerland is Schengen but non-EU) country or not. If Schengen then you have a passport check to negotiate which may eat a few minutes, but you will probably still be OK. For non-Schengen it is easier as you just go straight to the gate, no checks on the way there.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I recently had two 45 min connections at AMS, both Schengen-non-Schengen. Caught one, missed the other...
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Watch out: firemen strike could add some difficulty around French airports on 5/12. 30% reduction expected at CDG during the morning for example.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Air France has now published the official strike information and possibilities for traveler on its website https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/commo...air-france.htm

AF plans to operate 100% of its long haul flights, but cancel 15% of European flights and 30% of domestic flights (trains won't be a relief: 90% of TGV trains will be cancelled).

Overall, the civil aviation authority has asked airlines to reduce their flight programme by 20% on December 5th.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Just as a data point -- which basically confirms what other have said -- Ms SWMBO Stanbury just called in and changed her flight AF: MPL-CDG-MAD on Friday Dec 5 to KLM: MPL-AMS-MAD Dec 4 with no issue whatsoever. The agent strongly urged this change in fact. No change yet advised (or authorized in fact) to her return via CDG on Sunday Dec 8 -- mais on verra bien.

Off topic -- she was impressed to get through to the (very helpful) agent in under 15 minutes and then to have the operation done in just a couple of minutes. Compared to current experience dealing with a certain Canadian Airline that's very impressive.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Involuntary Upgrade?

First time on AF and just got upgraded from Y to W. Possibly because many rebooked into my flight causing it being overbooked? Not complaining though
MorganB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.