FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   CDG changing terminals w/ wheelchair - how long? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1995459-cdg-changing-terminals-w-wheelchair-how-long.html)

Roar Nov 14, 2019 9:31 am

CDG changing terminals w/ wheelchair - how long?

Hi. Looking for some advice from those who know CDG well.

I will fly into CGD on UA, but will be changing to a domestic AF flight with my elderly mother in tow. I have asked UA for wheelchair assistance upon landing for her.

How long should I anticipate I will need to go through immigration (non-EU passport) and get from the international terminal to the domestic AF terminal?

(I hope the wheelchair assistance will go from UA to AF with her while I wrangle the bags....)

Is a 3 hour gap enough from landing to the next flight?

Many thanks.

Goldorak Nov 14, 2019 2:29 pm

yes, 3 hrs should be enough.

obscure2k Nov 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Roar (Post 31736416)
Hi. Looking for some advice from those who know CDG well.

I will fly into CGD on UA, but will be changing to a domestic AF flight with my elderly mother in tow. I have asked UA for wheelchair assistance upon landing for her.

How long should I anticipate I will need to go through immigration (non-EU passport) and get from the international terminal to the domestic AF terminal?

(I hope the wheelchair assistance will go from UA to AF with her while I wrangle the bags....)

Is a 3 hour gap enough from landing to the next flight?

Many thanks.

If transferring within same terminal 2 .. 1-1/2 hours will work if you are not taken to the disability holding area and have to wait for a special bus. That is a nightmare. Suggest making it clear to the person meeting you at gate, that you would like to decline the bus and be pushed to your gate. A much better scenario. Not familiar with UA to AF.

CanuckInParis Nov 15, 2019 5:37 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 31738524)
If transferring within same terminal 2 .. 1-1/2 hours will work if you are not taken to the disability holding area and have to wait for a special bus. That is a nightmare. Suggest making it clear to the person meeting you at gate, that you would like to decline the bus and be pushed to your gate. A much better scenario. Not familiar with UA to AF.

Transferring from UA to AF domestic is going to mean a terminal change from Terminal 1 to 2F or 2G, so I'm not sure declining a bus would be an option (although I'm not sure how they handle such transfers when wheelchair assistance is involved).

brunos Nov 15, 2019 7:43 am

UA wheelchair service (part of CDG airport free service) should take you through luggage retrieval and immigration to one of the arrival point in Terminal 1.
Then you will be on your own for the long transfer to Terminal 2F or 2G. There you might ask AF for wheelchair service and book it with them 48h before.

If you are on a single ticket, maybe they can arrange a terminal transfer. That would need to be arranged through the airlines and might be difficult.

Roar Nov 16, 2019 10:39 am

Ah, OK. Thank you. It's not a single ticket - it's two separate ones...

Editing because for some reason. I didn't see the replies above - thank you all.

My mother can walk but she broke her hip a few years ago, so she slow and can't go far. Having her climb up and down stairs would be hard. That's why I have requested a wheelchair.

Can you also elaborate on this, please?
Then you will be on your own for the long transfer to Terminal 2F or 2G

brunos Nov 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Roar (Post 31743584)
Ah, OK. Thank you. It's not a single ticket - it's two separate ones...

Editing because for some reason. I didn't see the replies above - thank you all.

My mother can walk but she broke her hip a few years ago, so she slow and can't go far. Having her climb up and down stairs would be hard. That's why I have requested a wheelchair.

Can you also elaborate on this, please?
Then you will be on your own for the long transfer to Terminal 2F or 2G

I suggest that you contact Air France for the remainder of the whellchair transfer.

But plan a lot of time. Transfr could be smooth and fast. But you might have also a lot of waiting in the handicap pickup points because specialized staff (a separate company) could have a lot of pax to handle at that time.
Again, that service is usually very good.
https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/commo..._airfrance.htm

AF has always been very helpful to me when I had a broken ankle.
Just get in touch with them long before the flight (>48h). They will find a solution, like a taxi between terminal.
Service would be free if connecting AF-AF. Might still be free UA-AF because of French regulations.

Plan a lot of time for transfer, as there might be waiting time at the reduced-mobility meeting points. The service agents might have a lot of reduced-mobility pax to handle at that time. But again that service is usually very good.

Roar Nov 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Just checking back in here.... I emailed AF assistance and they will only pick us up at the AF desk in 2F.

We land in T1.

I have asked for a wheelchair for the whole trip from UA. I am really hoping they will get us on (and off) the CDGVAL and deliver us to the AF gate....

tbaiyun Nov 22, 2019 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Roar (Post 31756714)
Just checking back in here.... I emailed AF assistance and they will only pick us up at the AF desk in 2F.

We land in T1.

I have asked for a wheelchair for the whole trip from UA. I am really hoping they will get us on (and off) the CDGVAL and deliver us to the AF gate....

OP, you may bring your own wheelchair and check it in the counter, then use the ramp service provided by UA and AF separately. You can also use it till the aircraft's door and gate check it.

AF only provides wheelchair starting from their check-in counter, unless you have the Saphire number and that seems super complicated. I have once had the same need for my grandmother when we had a long layover in CDG and we decided to go out and visit the city.

AF told me that they would not allow their wheelchair leaving the terminal area (I suspect UA will be the same, not even on the CDGVAL). I guess your best bet will be bringing your own wheelchair, check it at the gate or at the counter, and bring it with you all the way during the journey.