Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Business bespoke meals - Am I going mad?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
AF Business bespoke meals - Am I going mad?

We are flying LHR - SIN (Via CDG) on AF Business in January, and I was sure I had seen somewhere (maybe on a YouTube review) that you can pre-order special a-la Carte meals in Business a month before flying, however when I check the AF website it only entions a-la carte options for Economy and Premium economy.

Am I going mad? I'm sure I saw a YouTube review where the flyer ordered a (meat) curry dish.(I'm not refering to special diet type meals)
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by npturner
We are flying LHR - SIN (Via CDG) on AF Business in January, and I was sure I had seen somewhere (maybe on a YouTube review) that you can pre-order special a-la Carte meals in Business a month before flying, however when I check the AF website it only entions a-la carte options for Economy and Premium economy.

Am I going mad? I'm sure I saw a YouTube review where the flyer ordered a (meat) curry dish.(I'm not refering to special diet type meals)
I believe you may be referring to the 'A La Carte' menu for the economy and premium economy cabins? As far as I am aware there is no 'book the cook' service for business class passengers the likes of Singapore Airlines have, although, it would be a good idea for AF and KL to incorporate this for their business class passengers. Helps to avoid disappointment on the day when a popular dish is gone.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I favor the pre-order form the existing choices approach in J. As you point out, everyone gets their first choice (or at least those who pre-order do) and the process is smoother onboard. This is a bit different than specialized ordering as there is nothing special about it. However, this does take a bit more IT and logistics planning as someone or something has to vary the catering load from a pre-determined allocation.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
You are not going mad. Or we both are. I successfully ordered a meal at least three times last year and this year the option has never appeared on a reservation. For a while I thought it was because I was flying on a DL ticket but AF metal. But I just checked my next flight and there is no option to order and this one is all AF on an AF ticket. Very strange. Anyone else?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, about a year ago I was able to book an "a la carte" meal on a CDG-HKG leg in business. I chose the Indian meal (but they also had a Thai meal, and a handful of others that I don't remember). These were not "special" meals. But at some point after I chose, I was never able to find the selection page again. Hmm.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by npturner

Are you sure you are flying AF and not SQ?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seattleBH
You are not going mad. Or we both are. I successfully ordered a meal at least three times last year and this year the option has never appeared on a reservation. For a while I thought it was because I was flying on a DL ticket but AF metal. But I just checked my next flight and there is no option to order and this one is all AF on an AF ticket. Very strange. Anyone else?
Good to know I wasnt going mad. And like the post below yours, the one I saw on a YouTube review was an Indian meal option.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bodory
Are you sure you are flying AF and not SQ?
Haha, it's certainly AF :-)
A320 LHR-CDG, 777 CDG-SIN then a Qantas A330 to PER.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, about a year ago I was able to book an "a la carte" meal on a CDG-HKG leg in business. I chose the Indian meal (but they also had a Thai meal, and a handful of others that I don't remember). These were not "special" meals. But at some point after I chose, I was never able to find the selection page again. Hmm.
FWIW, here's a picture of the main course, a lamb curry of sorts. Not so pretty, but tasty (I find curries often hold up well on airplanes). As well as the menu, which indicates the option of a pre-ordered dish.
Attached Images   
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
FWIW, here's a picture of the main course, a lamb curry of sorts. Not so pretty, but tasty (I find curries often hold up well on airplanes). As well as the menu, which indicates the option of a pre-ordered dish.
Yep, thats what I have seen. So I guess you cant do this anymore. Maybe I will message AF on Twitter and ask them.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:37 am
Original Poster

OK, so I was right, they did used to do it (as shown above by ijgordon), but AF replied to my Tweet with the following;

"Hi Neil, we do not offer A la Carte meal in business class cabin any longer. However, a choice of special meals is available free of charge if booked 24/48 hours before departure. Kindly, let us know your requirements via DM so that we can book a more suitable meal options. TY."
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.