Baggage consistently delayed to the US

Old Sep 8, 19, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Platinum, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
Baggage consistently delayed to the US

I have traveled to the US about 7 times in the past 9 months.
I have a US and EU passport and live in France.
Each and every time I have arrived in BOS or JFK my bag is not on the flight. It arrives two days later. Each time on nonstop flights where I am traveling in Business class.
I never get any questioning departing France, nor arriving in the US (I have Global Entry, etc etc) nor do I get stopped at customs but after about the 3rd time I can't help but think it isn't a coincidence.
I do get my bags rifled through each and every time I arrive back in France (with the paper slip "This bag has been inspected" and the bag completely messed up). But it arrives on the same flight.
Thoughts?
I think it is some security thing... I mean, I do own grey underwear. Must be that. LOL
Old Sep 9, 19, 12:08 am

I can confirm that since I changed to pink leather undies, they have been much faster with my bags.

It has happened to me too, the TSA almost always goes through my bag when leaving JFK (but I would not know if it were not for the courtesy paper), and they have lost my bag on direct flights quite a bit, although not lately. I was told on full flights they tend to delay the bigger/heavier bags, and I tend to use a big-ish 20-kg suitcase. I cannot think of another reason, although even this seems not so logical, planes have big bellies and other airlines donít lose my bags.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:46 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE
Never had this problem with AF, though I have had baggage delays with tighter connections through CDG (not what you're experiencing). I did have JFK luggage sent to MEX instead of SFO after connecting via MXP earlier this year, but that was clearly DL fault.
Is it "smart" luggage (i.e. one with battery built-in or that has the capacity for that)? If so, that could be at issue. I've heard, but not experienced that these are pulled for extra screening at some points.
Another thing you can do, if you are on SkyTeam and especially in J is to ask the gate agent a bit before boarding starts if your bag has been loaded: I have had success with this when making tight connections and they always seem helpful.
bostontraveler and paris1000 like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Or else I can put some large adult toys in my bag to entertain them?
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:21 am
Original Poster

All jokes aside I do think that Iíve been placed on a love list for some odd reason.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA has nothing to do with this as OP is discussing departures from CDG. Either rotten luck or to do with French authorities (who may act at the request of US authorities). But, whatever it is (or is not), best to pursue with AF and French authorities.

One would think that if either French or US authorities had concerns about checked luggage, they would have similar concerns about the passenger and carry-on as well. This would manifest itself as more robust inspections on departure and possibly at CBP on arrival.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
TSA has nothing to do with this as OP is discussing departures from CDG. Either rotten luck or to do with French authorities (who may act at the request of US authorities). But, whatever it is (or is not), best to pursue with AF and French authorities.

One would think that if either French or US authorities had concerns about checked luggage, they would have similar concerns about the passenger and carry-on as well. This would manifest itself as more robust inspections on departure and possibly at CBP on arrival.
Agreed... which is the odd thing. Zero issues with immigration, security, etc.

Two additional 'outliers'... it also happened from Brussels to Boston as well as CDG to Milan.

I do believe it's at the behest of the US for whatever random reason. The threshold for anyone to add you to a list in the US is so low- absolutely no proof or documentation required. Suspicion is enough. Getting off the list is virtually impossible.

I'm curious- how do you think that AF or French authorities would tell me anything?
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
I have traveled to the US about 7 times in the past 9 months.
I have a US and EU passport and live in France.
Each and every time I have arrived in BOS or JFK my bag is not on the flight. It arrives two days later. Each time on nonstop flights where I am traveling in Business class.
I never get any questioning departing France, nor arriving in the US (I have Global Entry, etc etc) nor do I get stopped at customs but after about the 3rd time I can't help but think it isn't a coincidence.
I do get my bags rifled through each and every time I arrive back in France (with the paper slip "This bag has been inspected" and the bag completely messed up). But it arrives on the same flight.
Thoughts?
I think it is some security thing... I mean, I do own grey underwear. Must be that. LOL
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
That has to make it pretty frustrating with the silly US policy of claiming and re-checking your luggage after you clear CBP. Certainly a time-waster when your layover is already shortened by the immigration procedures.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmarge18 View Post
That has to make it pretty frustrating with the silly US policy of claiming and re-checking your luggage after you clear CBP. Certainly a time-waster when your layover is already shortened by the immigration procedures.
Iím not sure what youíre referring to- my travel is point to point, no connections....
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
Iím not sure what youíre referring to- my travel is point to point, no connections....
This is FT. Some never let facts get in the way of getting something off their chest. Could have been a complaint about the pulp in the orange juice and would have drawn the same statement.
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Next flight try having your luggage put on a flight two days before your flight.
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Great idea! 😂
Old Sep 16, 19, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is FT. Some never let facts get in the way of getting something off their chest. Could have been a complaint about the pulp in the orange juice and would have drawn the same statement.

Not sure why the need for snark. Sorry for looking past the fact it was point to point. Obviously makes a different. My point remains that if OP had a connection, it'd be a PITA if that kept happening with the added need to wait around for bags and re-check them in. I'll make sure to never show empathy on this site again.

Search this Thread